Which fields flooded during the monsoon of 2005?

Guest mattparr

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were where the Park is and had to wade a bit down the bottom of the field (up to about knee if I recall right) to get across onto the cycle track and plenty of streams running down the hill, but definitely seemed to have pooled up more next door in Pennards.

Edited by p.pete

Top of the Pennards where we were was mainly fine if you had good tents but some had little rivers in them flowing down the hill. The bottom of Pennards looked like a disaster area, there was hundreds of tents and peoples things just floating about in a big lake. Was definitely a sight i will never forget oh and i forgot to take wellies that year, never again!

We were on Hitchin Hill thankfully in the tent when the monsoon hit.

Luckily we were up hill from the track that the poo trucks use to and from the farm.

The track itself turned into a river and washed away a couple of tents that were just downhill

avoid low ground and make sure you are uphill of any hardstanding

We always used to camp up around the middle of Pennards but in 05 we go there a bit late and ended up camping at the bottom. No worries though, it was absolutely scorching weather. I have pictures of the Thursday evening with my son and his mate putting towels over their heads to avoid the sunburn.

Woke up to my son shouting "You really need to see this Dad!" after apparently spending the good part of a half hour trying to raise me from the dead. As I sat up to unzip the tent I realized I was floating on my airbed. We were partially submerged and my lad and his friends tent were about half underwater, sister in law lost all her clothes, mate and his girlfriend went straight home.

All turned out ok in the end. We dragged the tents up the bank and put the stuff out to dry, me and the bro sorted out all the gear while the girls went off to watch bands. Mate bought some wet weather gear and wellies and returned to site and we all met up for (I think) The Killers at the end of the night, got mortally pissed and had a good laugh about it.

Stone Circle. 2am-ish Friday morning. I remember the crack of lightening and the thunder which was met with a defiant cheers from everyone. No one really started to move back to the tents. A minute later, another louder crack, a flash and a huge roar of thunder. Met with half a cheers and everyone legging it!

Woke up the next morning to Jo Whiley on Radio 1 talking about someone in a canoe going down the main street near the Pyramid Field.

Stone Circle. 2am-ish Friday morning. I remember the crack of lightening and the thunder which was met with a defiant cheers from everyone. No one really started to move back to the tents. A minute later, another louder crack, a flash and a huge roar of thunder. Met with half a cheers and everyone legging it!

Woke up the next morning to Jo Whiley on Radio 1 talking about someone in a canoe going down the main street near the Pyramid Field.

I vividly remember when pennards flooded someone diving under the water, and emerging a few seconds later with a crate of beer in his hands. He got a huge cheer from the crowd standing around watching.

Then as I walked about 10 metres along the path, I noticed a few of the portaloos had fallen over, and fresh turds were visible floating towards the area where our hero had recovered his beer

Yes we were camped at the top of oxylers in 2005. The ground was so hard we couldnt peg the tent down on the Thursday and it was boiling hot. My mate started waking us up in panic around 5 am on the Friday morning telling us to peg the tent down. We did manage to do it and had a river running under our tent because we were at the top of the hill. We were fine there. Over the other side of the railway track was flooded in Pennards. It was very strange weather and it soon turned the place in to a mess but its one of the best Glastonbury's I have been to. After all the rain, the sun came out again and it was hot but the damage had already been done to the ground.

Pennards. It was absolutely horrible, waking up to screams and water pouring in through the air vent in the top of my tent.

_41229323_swimming_01_300.jpg

glastonbury-flood.jpg

flood6.jpg

It was heartbreaking watching people basically go "fuck this" on the first day of the weekend and, if their keys hadn't been washed away, go back to their cars and leave en masse.

Edited by UEF