Cricket

greeneyes1980

yeah, although seem to remember them saying they could call up some of the other international ones such as billy bowden. stupidity really as he was dropped from the panel. think a system of a home + away + other umpire is better though

Which is daft - for Bowden was dropped from the panel for making too many mistakes...

12 umpires on the elite list:

England - Richard Illingworth, Ian Gould, Richard Kettleborough, Nigel Llong

Australia - Bruce Oxenford, Steve Davis, Rod Tucker, Paul Reiffel

Pakistan - Aleem Dar

New Zealand - Tony Hill

South Africa - Marais Erasmus

Sri Lanka - Kumar Dharmasena.

So only 4 of the 12 best umpires in the world can officiate an Ashes test match.

I didn't realize reifell had gone into umpiring, I remember he was quite a solid international player.

A decent day for Australia so far, however they need to win the game more than we do. I suspect if Australia post a big first innings score that we will have one eye on the draw and retaining the ashes.

if they manage to bat until tea tomorrow i think its game on, and puts us on the back foot properly, as it seems as though its heading that way anyway. the way this is going this will be the first 400+ innings score of the series, and if they bat until tea, then we really need to bat well from the start otherwise it could be one of those looking for a draw games...

if they manage to bat until tea tomorrow i think its game on, and puts us on the back foot properly, as it seems as though its heading that way anyway. the way this is going this will be the first 400+ innings score of the series, and if they bat until tea, then we really need to bat well from the start otherwise it could be one of those looking for a draw games...

The weather could play a big part in the game with showers forecast over the next 4 games. In terms of batting strategy its going to be pretty easy for us as we just need to keep batting as long as we can, Australia could be left with a difficult decision in their second innings as running out of time hurts them more than us.

I think we need to show we can bat again. It's been a long time since I've been impressed by more than 2 or 3 batsmen in an innings. I've been going on about our inability to get big scores in recent months and I'd like to be proven as wrong about that as about Bell

Im undecided about the declaration with reports of rain and Australia needing to win the game, part of me wonders if they should have batted on with a view to winning the game in 1 innings. Then again getting us in today and getting the 2 wickets has only increased the momentum shift in their direction.

I have never been convinced by the concept of a night watchmen, but half an hour before close is surely to early to be bringing Bresnan on.

Im undecided about the declaration with reports of rain and Australia needing to win the game, part of me wonders if they should have batted on with a view to winning the game in 1 innings. Then again getting us in today and getting the 2 wickets has only increased the momentum shift in their direction.

It doesn't matter if they have to bat one innings or two. The more important question is whether they bat 3rd or 4th. If they don't bat again, clearly they win, if they bat 4th the decision to declare will have been the right one, regardless if they win or not. If they bat 3rd then and only then could you argue they declared too early. The convicts are 2-0 down and need to win 3 matches to take the urn - they have to gamble - IMO they've made the right decision bearing in mind the state of the series.

I have never been convinced by the concept of a night watchmen, but half an hour before close is surely to early to be bringing Bresnan on.

I think it's on the cusp. However, I think the real error is the choice of nightwatchman. I'd have gone with Jimmy.

It doesn't matter if they have to bat one innings or two. The more important question is whether they bat 3rd or 4th. If they don't bat again, clearly they win, if they bat 4th the decision to declare will have been the right one, regardless if they win or not. If they bat 3rd then and only then could you argue they declared too early. The convicts are 2-0 down and need to win 3 matches to take the urn - they have to gamble - IMO they've made the right decision bearing in mind the state of the series.

I think it's on the cusp. However, I think the real error is the choice of nightwatchman. I'd have gone with Jimmy.

Fully agree. 20 wickets on a placid pitch is their goal, good captaincy.

I understood the psychological thing of using bresnan last time, but jimmy is proven at doibg the nightwatchman job very well. I'm curious to know whether Trott wanted one though.

Trott never looked comfortable with the situation which is surprising. Root being awkward at the crease was understandable but I'd have thought Trott would relish trying to bat long and steady.

Hoping KP plays well, can't really expect another century from Bell.

Overall a good day but batsmen still following pattern of previous tests in terms of struggling to build up partnerships. Trott and prior have had abysmal series (hopefully the latter starts making up for it today) cooks and bairstow have been poor. Those 4 batsmen have only contributed 450 runs in 20 innings combined. Root and kp have decent stats skewed by 1 innings but in both cases they were important. Bell is the only one who has shown consistency which is disappointing considering the ability of our batsmen.