Films

Guest razz1e

Worm - I'm still keen to understand what you mean by character actor? I've been having a look around the Internet at various definitions, but can't seem to find anything that would suggest Depp is a character actor.
Edited by worm

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A person who plays/invents a character. Usually from observations. Wonka being based upon MJ is one such example. Contrast with method acting, which is living as someone and gaining the characterisation from experience rather than observation. Method actors usually play themselves as living as someone else. Character actors completely negate themselves in their characterisation - they are truly fictitious.

That's what I was referring to. Day-Lewis and Brando are well known method actors. Depp is a well known character actor.

Edited by sifimaster

I actually liked Idiocracy, but then I like a lot of shit comedy films (BASEketball would be in my list of favourites). Alarmingly I would say that film portrayed one of the most realistic visions of the future than in any other film!

Plus it's got electrolites, it's what plants crave.

As I said, I thought the idea was interesting, and there might be something to it, but it was the peurile humour that irked me I guess. The whole

kicking the bloke in the balls, the film ass, the tanks with huge dildos on the front

type rubbish.

I remember laughing at Baseketball when I saw it fifteen odd years ago, although I was on acid at the time.

I tried to watch The Proposal last night. It's sits firmly in chick lit territory but it has had fairly good reviews and on IMDB it has a 7.1.

It was horrible.

We got about an hour and a quarter in before realising we hadn't laughed once - it was SO obvious where the plot was going. We gave up at that point and read the rest of the plot on Wiki to see just how right we were. Answer = very right.

Sandra Bullock is immensely unappealing, Ryan Reynolds falls flat and the whole thing feels like one big fat cliche.

Ridiculous, shite, ridiculous shite.

I did, however, watch a very good film a couple of days ago. Broken Embraces - Almodovars latest. It was funny and sweet and sad and Penelope Cruz was fantastic!

Martyrs:

My 17 year old daughter has just watched this. I found it a brutal and violent film, yet deeply thoughtful. Katrina watched this on her own volition, and without my knowledge, but I had told her about the violence etc. She found that passe to say the least. But, and this is great, she asked me about the end. She asked

has the woman killed herself because she wans to go to "heaven" or because Anna has said there is no "heaven". All the old folk are there at the end, so they are wanting some form of afterlife.