Films

Guest razz1e

Taken the week off work to help our new puppy settle in.

He's slept most of the day(result!) so I've watched...

The Hunted - Tommy Lee Jones tracks down his former pupil Benicio Del Toro in formulaic 'ex-special forces killing machine flips out when coming to terms with his past' thriller. Sub First Blood/Shooter stuff but watchable.

Transsiberian - Enjoyed this but ultimately let down by the rushed last 20 minutes or so.

Girlfight - Michelle Rodriguez oozes attitude and is pretty believable in the best role i've seen her in.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways, back on the subject of movies and chiefly, regarding the issue of Oceans 11 - there is no answer to the flyers conundrum ... its a gaping plot hole that the director can offer 'no explanation' to, which is obviously movie speak for 'I thought it would be cool and I call the shots so I'm going to ruin an already shit movie by adding in things that are nonsense and absurd'.

Four Lions is just ok ... and in ten years time, we will all be saying 'I saw that film when it first came out and although I love everything that Chris Morris has done, this was just ok'. I expected more from this. 'Rubber Dinghy Rapids' is not funny when its quoted ad nauseum by everyone who thought this was a pure comedy and didn't get any of the darker themes.

What's with all the movies coming out with "Rise" in the title? Dark Knight Rises and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes are terrible, clumsy names, especially Apes which uses "Of The" twice.

What's next?

Schindler Rises?

Private Ryan Rises?

Scream 5: Ghostface Rises?

Freddy Rises?

The Rise Of The Exorcist?

Robocop Rises?

The Thing Rises?

The Rise Of Superman?

Oh God, even though I'm joking, I can sort of see them actually doing some of those for real, as bereft of ideas, vision and balls that Hollywood is right now.

The only sequel where at title like that would be appropriate now would be something like Team America Rises, just to take a shot at the whole thing.

It's all biblical stuff that gets tacked on - Rises, Resurrection, Revenge, Salvation.....the thinking behind it must be that nothing can grab the biggest movie-going audience (America) by the balls quite like words that remind them of their vengeful, ego-maniacal (but all-loving and very real) one true God and his hippy zombie son.

Edited by Purple Monkey

watched Intolerable Cruelty last night

was nice to see Clooney NOT being a charismatic smooth dude, but a charismatic weasel :P

i love the Coen brothers choice of music, well, do they choose the music themselves or do they choose people with good taste in music to choose the music? :blink:

What's with all the movies coming out with "Rise" in the title? Dark Knight Rises and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes are terrible, clumsy names, especially Apes which uses "Of The" twice.

What's next?

Schindler Rises?

Private Ryan Rises?

Scream 5: Ghostface Rises?

Freddy Rises?

The Rise Of The Exorcist?

Robocop Rises?

The Thing Rises?

The Rise Of Superman?

Oh God, even though I'm joking, I can sort of see them actually doing some of those for real, as bereft of ideas, vision and balls that Hollywood is right now.

The only sequel where at title like that would be appropriate now would be something like Team America Rises, just to take a shot at the whole thing.

It's all biblical stuff that gets tacked on - Rises, Resurrection, Revenge, Salvation.....the thinking behind it must be that nothing can grab the biggest movie-going audience (America) by the balls quite like words that remind them of their vengeful, ego-maniacal (but all-loving and very real) one true God and his hippy zombie son.

Anyways, back on the subject of movies and chiefly, regarding the issue of Oceans 11 - there is no answer to the flyers conundrum ... its a gaping plot hole that the director can offer 'no explanation' to, which is obviously movie speak for 'I thought it would be cool and I call the shots so I'm going to ruin an already shit movie by adding in things that are nonsense and absurd'.

Edited by worm

Watched a cracking Scottish film tonight, American Cousins. It was a pretty simple movie but I really enjoyed it. I think It struck a chord as it was mostly filmed in Glasgow and I knew alot of the places in the film. It wasn't the best film ever but pretty enjoyable for a Saturday night.

Last few days i've watched

The Baader Meinhoff Complex. Can't praise this highly enough. Loved it.

Waltz With Bashir. Made me cry like a baby at the end.

Paper Moon. Hadn't seen this for ages. Tatum O'Neal is fantastic - if you ain't seen it then watch it.

Repo Men. Great concept. Average film. Dumb ending. This could be our future. Save the NHS!

Halfway through Cemetery Junction - not sure i'll go the distance....

watched american cousins last night, about 2 italian american mafia guys who go to their cousins chip shop in glasgow to hide. found this in the scottish section in fopp and wasn't really expecting much from it, but i thought it was really good. all of the characters were likeable, just a simple idea done really well. :)

Watched Requiem For A Dream tonight, good movie!