Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the science point. I would have thought Earth would have been ripped apart by the gravitational forces and the like. But I think some of that was forgiveable to see the family under the shelter with the big blue planet as a backdrop. Whilst Justine is resigned to her fate, for me Melancholia was a good metaphor for the destructive power depression can have. I think that may have been lost if it was a 2012 style end.

after catching up with this is england 86 and 88, we went back and watched "this is england" again, i remember having a bad taste in my mouth at the time because the wrong people were getting the wrong message from the movie, it was kinda adopted by the far right as some kind of hero story, when it it quite the opposite. its easy to dismiss it on that basis, when its actually a fucking great piece of film making.

Waits for Katster to say - no the cinema. :lol:

Of the films nominated for the Oscars I have to say I enjoyed Hugo much more than The Artist - both a exemplory of cinema but i felt Hugo had much scope in it's cinematography - The Artist appeared to just copy the style of the old silent movies - Hugo completely re-visited it in a new way. Hope that's not a spoiler for those who havenae seen it.

some films need to be watched in a cinema, where distractions of your own life, influenced by your possessions in your house, can't get in the way and your whole mental existence is dedicated to the emotional highs and lows of a film

I call BS on that. I am absolutely incapable of blocking out other people. I cannot bear someone rustling, or even sniffing/scratching/breathing the wrong way, even six rows in front. I am constantly on edge at the cinema. at home i can close the door, get the kids to bed and just relax and take it all in.

Must say I prefer watching fils in the house. Nobody sitting near me ruining it, If I want to talk I can, I can pause or rewind if need be, I can chill with a few beers and I can go to the toilet as often as need be.

The cinema is good and certain films are far better on the big screen but it's so costly to go to the cinema nowadays, I'm very picky about what I go and see.

Must say I prefer watching fils in the house. Nobody sitting near me ruining it, If I want to talk I can, I can pause or rewind if need be, I can chill with a few beers and I can go to the toilet as often as need be.

The cinema is good and certain films are far better on the big screen but it's so costly to go to the cinema nowadays, I'm very picky about what I go and see.

Edited by Banana Co

Yeah watched it at home and wasn't distracted. The film was ok it was the music that really irritated me!!!

did you watch it at home?

some films need to be watched in a cinema, where distractions of your own life, influenced by your possessions in your house, can't get in the way and your whole mental existence is dedicated to the emotional highs and lows of a film

went to go see Big Lebowski being shown in the cinema tonight, had a few white russians before, never appreciated the film as much as having a whole cinema laughing throughout :)

watched "we need to talk about kevin" last night.

really well acted, and an interesting story, but if ever the words "who the fuck do you think you are talking to?" or "while you are living in my house you show some respect" could have completely ended a films' plot..............

watched "we need to talk about kevin" last night.

really well acted, and an interesting story, but if ever the words "who the fuck do you think you are talking to?" or "while you are living in my house you show some respect" could have completely ended a films' plot..............