Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the beginning of the Dredd trailer looks amazing, but as soon as it got to the tower siege part it just felt like a sci-fi Raid. I'm sure if I read the comics I'd be wetting myself but unfortunately my unenlightened mind just sees it as Raid in the future....

I do hope it's good though, my friend loves Judge Dredd quiteeeeee a bit

Went to see Brave today. Really enjoyed it - like Tangled but Scotch and about bears. It was good but there was just something about it I felt I had seen before. It's got elements of Finding Nemo too.

Saw three trailers for animated, fairly macabre kids films due out soon - one of which was Frankenweenie which looks like the first 'proper' Tim Burton movie in a long while. The cinema experience is getting really samey and homogenised across the board. All the kids films are the same. All the 'comedies' are the same. All the action films seem to be the same shade or style. Even Pixar movies, as good as they are, are becoming indistinct to Disney or Dreamworks efforts. It's like all movie ideas are put into the same blender and someone is hitting frappe.

I enjoyed the little short before Brave though - I can't help but feel it was inspired somewhat by Mario Galaxy.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I have a horrible feeling it is all going to end in tears. Apparently if it grosses 50 million in the US they will be looking at a trilogy with the introduction of the Dark Judges. Now the thought of that made me a little moist, and by virtue with everything else I like it is doomed to failure.

I really enjoyed that short :)

Brave was just a princess story, a princess with attitude yes, but if you look at the Disney princess' since Sleeping Beauty they pretty much all have been PwA (I've now invented this acronym, feel free to use it). In fact, I would say that apart from the fact she doesn't want to get married she is less of a PwA than Tiana, Jasmine and Rapunzel....

I'm REALLY looking forward to Frankenweenie and Paranorman, it seems that if you put the time and effort into a stop animation than no one wants it to be mediocre. Whereas they can bosh out CGI so quickly now that the cinema is flooded with talking animals making pop culture references

Dark Judges? *drool*

I've decided not to look at the trailers (saw the first one and realised I would rather be surprised than go in having seen half the cool scenes) and just go to the cinema and hope. The first movie just took the name, the setting and some of the styling and then went wrong in almost every way possible (removing the helmet is the worst point). I hope this film lives up to the potential.

I grew up on 2000ad (I grew up in a newsagents, my earliest memories were reading every comic book I could lay my hands on from Dandy through to Deadline) and a successful Dredd could open the world of cinema to maybe Rogue Trooper, maybe Strontium Dog....

For my sins I had to google that. After my time with 2000ad, I am afraid. At 18 (1989) I discovered music, girls, glastonbury and politics, dropped out a year later and got a factory job/bummed around in communal housing and started making babies, leaving comic books behind in the wake (along with my other pre-89 love, computer games). Anything after 1990 is a lost reference on me, I'm sure I've missed some great stuff.

Watched The Pact last night, throwaway horror film, though definitely leaves a creepy imprint when you go to bed :P

i guessed what was going on 10 minutes in as it reminded me of this story I read a few years ago <--- *SPOILER / THIS WILL GIVE FILM AWAY*

Edited by nightcrawler13

Reminded me of the Stuart Lee standup where he deliberately drops "scotch" a few times with a gentle raise of the eyebrow :)

"you know, the rappers, you've seen them, by the ramp.."

Cabin in the woods was good, I think, in the same way as Scream was before it became a long running parody, giving the audience well dressed satire when it is actually something else. Cabin in the woods 2 would exist only to make money. Hope it never does.

My favourite moment, "Am I on speakerphone?" = classic.

Reminded me of the Stuart Lee standup where he deliberately drops "scotch" a few times with a gentle raise of the eyebrow :)

"you know, the rappers, you've seen them, by the ramp.."

Cabin in the woods was good, I think, in the same way as Scream was before it became a long running parody, giving the audience well dressed satire when it is actually something else. Cabin in the woods 2 would exist only to make money. Hope it never does.

My favourite moment, "Am I on speakerphone?" = classic.

I hope the Dredd movie is really good and opens the floodgates for more 2000AD stuff, much like how Iron Man did for the 'proper' Marvel stuff.

Damn, the success of Avengers is pretty bittersweet. All it does is make me think of what could be if Marvel fit their other licences back like Spidey and X-Men.

I hope the Dredd movie is really good and opens the floodgates for more 2000AD stuff, much like how Iron Man did for the 'proper' Marvel stuff.

Damn, the success of Avengers is pretty bittersweet. All it does is make me think of what could be if Marvel fit their other licences back like Spidey and X-Men.