Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to join the film thread we have ourselves a projector now (Joint chrismas pressie) to stop our dvds gathering dust and so we are having family movie nights on Saturdays so far we have watched Stardust and Star Wars a new Hope and We have also watched My Neighbour Tototoro (great animated Kids Film)and Mama Mia - (I hope that the do a showing of this at Glastonbury!) also I have watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall as I missed it at the cinema - it was ok but not side splitting.

I have started to preview our family films as we are going into PG films now and some really are PG . I have previewed Holes which I did enjoy for its story on fate and breaking bad luck but I am getting a bit soft in my old age I think as I tried to watch some of the Dead Set and found myself looking at the projected image on the wall through my partially closed hands!

I also got Bicentennial Man which I had never seen(my daughters topic is robots at school) I always find Robin Williams interesting in his films ( I like him because hes a bit of a nutter I think) and I really enjoyed it although a bit of swearing and birds and bee talks might need to rethink showing it to her school friends :P

Edited by jacketspud

I want to join the film thread we have ourselves a projector now (Joint chrismas pressie) to stop our dvds gathering dust and so we are having family movie nights on Saturdays

Sounds like a great idea. Was just talking wae him indoors about how we prefer to watch a lot of movies at home on our rather large (52") TV rather than at the cinema.

We were given a cinema voucher for the family but so far nothing has enticed us to go for that big cinematic experience that would enthrall 9-49 year olds.

Wondered what criteria other boarders use to decide wether to pay to go and see something at the cinema or wait to watch it on DVD?

I occassionally go to the cinema, but it's not typically because I want to go to watch a specific film, it's more just I fancy going to the cinema. I'll check what's on before I go and we'll decide what to go see. We've found ourselves going on a Sunday morning of late. They have an early bird offer at my local flix, I think it's four quid a seat before mid-day.

I'm also finding that dramas lack some of the depth that I've become used to from watching box-set series televisioning.

Although I'm looking forward to seeing Cammora when it gets a DVD release. 9th February apparently.

Edited by sifimaster

You guys are very unlucky. Both my local cinemas are great (I even went to the grotty Rochdale one at the weekend but I was surprised to find it was really rather nice, unless that was just a one off?) and I also have the added bonus of being able to go to Manchester to the cinema if I want. (I'm not keen on the one in the Printworks though, personally).

I'm like Sifi, I generally go to the cinema because I fancy going to the cinema.

Out Of Time with Denzel Washington, Film4 last night.

Rubbish. A proper 1/10. Full plot and ending sussed after about 25 minutes, both of which were absolute shit.

The worst film I've seen since 88 minutes.

Joining in the cinema debate - I hate the big multiplexes also, total rip off. My local independant cinema was canny though, last time I was there you could take beers to your seats (which were infact sofas). :P

It's now moved back to its original location, which I haven't checked out yet. I think the sofas might not have made the journey.

The multiplex is visit is normally very quiet on a Sunday morning.

edit : Although I recall T8yman saying his cinema didn't even show "There will be Blood" last year. Film won two oscars, nominated for eight and they didn't show it anywhere within forty miles of Hull.

Edited by sifimaster

The multiplex is visit is normally very quiet on a Sunday morning.

edit : Although I recall T8yman saying his cinema didn't even show "There will be Blood" last year. Film won two oscars, nominated for eight and they didn't show it anywhere within forty miles of Hull.

Apparently the problem with this particular release was that there weren't enough copies to go around or something.

Madness.

Does an Oscar nomination result in fewer people going to see a film? It certainly wouldn't put me off. Do you have any data on this?

I watched "No Country for Old Men" on the basis it did well at the Oscars for example - I'd normally not have bothered because I don't normally get on with Cohen brothers films.

I don't think that's entirely true looking at the recent Oscar winners .... especially say Platoon, The Departed, The Silence of the Lambs, LOTR and Gladiator.

How the f**k did Gladiator win anything? The other nominations must have been a collection of Hungarian shorts and a Nicolas Cage film ....

Recent Oscar winners

2007 No Country for Old Men -

2006 The Departed

2005 Crash

2004 Million Dollar Baby

2003 Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2002 Chicago

2001 A Beautiful Mind

2000 Gladiator

1999 American Beauty

1998 Shakespeare In Love

1997 Titanic