Films

Guest razz1e

Watched Man On Fire for the first time last night, as I'm a huge fan of AJ Quinnell's Creasy novels.

It was much better than I thought it'd be, they managed to stay pretty faithful to the book and cleverly changed the Italian mafia subplot to Mexican gangsters, which worked very well.

But they bottled the ending completely.

That really disappointed me - bloody smaltzy yanks had to keep the little girl alive, didn't they? The whole point of why he seeks vengeance is for the little girl who is killed, so to bring her back at the end was a real cop out. It's why Creasy becomes the hard, no nonsense assassin he was before his breakdown, which subsequently continues over the next few books, yet what do they do? Bring back the cute, blonde American kid and kill off the main character 'who has nothing more to live for' - the whole point was that the kid GAVE him a reason to live again.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Man On Fire for the first time last night, as I'm a huge fan of AJ Quinnell's Creasy novels.

I notice on the DVD there is an alternative ending - I might watch that later in the hope that they don't f**k around.

A shame, because it's a fantastic film otherwise.

If you are expecting to see the original book ending on the dvd alternate ending don't bother.

Instead of simply dying in the car journey, Creasy arrives to meet Pita’s kidnapper and during a conversation they have he blows up and kills himself and all of the baddies. It turns out that he had used an anal bomb on himself!

Edited by Langdale Wolf

Man On Fire is superb, if only for the line....

A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasey's art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece.

....Walken at his best. :lol:

Went to see Terminator Salvation on monday. Absolute crap.

12 Rounds. For what it is, it's very good.

A bloke from Queer As Folk sets a WWE wrestler several tasks that he must complete or someone will face the conesquences of his failure. All set across a major city (New Orleans). Hmmm..... that sounds a bit like Die Hard 3. Hang on.... (major spoiler)

All the tasks set are only so the bad guy can get access to a building and steal loads of money. So, it pretty much is Die Hard 3.

Watched Boondock Saints last night. Pretty enjoyable. Two Irish guys, some Italians, lots of guns and Billy Connoly. Sweet!

12 Rounds. For what it is, it's very good.

A bloke from Queer As Folk sets a WWE wrestler several tasks that he must complete or someone will face the conesquences of his failure. All set across a major city (New Orleans). Hmmm..... that sounds a bit like Die Hard 3. Hang on.... (major spoiler)

All the tasks set are only so the bad guy can get access to a building and steal loads of money. So, it pretty much is Die Hard 3.

Still good though.

Renny Harlin directs, great at blowing shit up. B)

watched Transformers 2 last night....

lame, so incredibly lammeeeeeeeeeeeee

the mom being stoned, the comedy twin robots, the obvious evil girl, the blurry cgi robot fights, the "i love you" "plot", the annoying 1337 roomate.....

then again, the robot did call a guy a pussy :)