Films

Guest razz1e

Watched Apollo 13 again last night after all the moon landing footage this week.

I love it. Great stuff. Some interesting stuff on the bonus disc too that I hadn't seen before. I'm terrible for that - I buy the 2-disc edition on most DVDs but never watch the bonus footage!

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone recommend me a good French film? I am currently attempting to learn the language with some Michel Thomas cds, but I think watching films in French would help!

last one I saw was Man Bites Dog, it was amazing and dark and I loved it!

A good film I watched recently was The Assassination of Jesse James. It's a film that requires patience because it unwinds very slowly, but the consequence of it's sedate pace is perhaps one of the most realistic portrayals of life in that era.

Ne le dis à personne (tell no one)

rififi

cache (hidden)

salaire de la peur (the wages of fear)

les diaboliques

la haine

I've got a few more french titles not got around to watching yet but meant to be good;

delicatessen & city of lost children, both from caro & jeunet (amelie)

three colours trilogy

belle et la bete (beauty and the beast)

godard's le mepris & a bout de souffle

...I really want to get and watch some jean-pierre melville some time; le samourai, le cercle rouge, le doulos.....le samourai's never come out in UK though.

want to watch entre les murs (the class) aswell sometime, tis meant to be excellent.

Can someone recommend me a good French film? I am currently attempting to learn the language with some Michel Thomas cds, but I think watching films in French would help!

last one I saw was Man Bites Dog, it was amazing and dark and I loved it!

Dunno if this has been discussed, has a quick search and found nothing. Tim Burton's current project is a new Alice In Wonderland film, and if you'd hadn't already guessed it stars Jonny Depp as the Mad Hatter and Helen Bonham Carter as the Red Queen. Also stars Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry and Christopher Lee so a good cast I'd say, although Matt Lucus is also in it. Not out till next year mind/

Teaser trailer

Pictures

Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter might just give me nightmares

Dunno if this has been discussed, has a quick search and found nothing. Tim Burton's current project is a new Alice In Wonderland film, and if you'd hadn't already guessed it stars Jonny Depp as the Mad Hatter and Helen Bonham Carter as the Red Queen. Also stars Alan Rickman, Stephen Fry and Christopher Lee so a good cast I'd say, although Matt Lucus is also in it. Not out till next year mind/

Teaser trailer

Pictures

Teaser trailer

Pictures

watched a few things over the weekend;

terminator salvation - it was watchable, some of it was ok and enjoyable, others cheesy and pretty awful....enjoyed the first 1hr:20mins much more than the last 25mins which was a bit gash. 6.5/10

the hangover - amusing and worth a watch; it wasn't the funniest comedy I've ever seen, but had it's moments. 7.5/10

in the loop - brilliant; funniest movie I've seen in a long time. 9.5/10

"When I tell you to f**k off, whaddaya do?"

"Um... eff off?"

"You'll go far. Now f**k off" :unsure:

watchmen - good adaptation I thought.....unsure of the overuse of slow motion in places, and bit unsure of the soundtracks in places (hallejulah)... but solid enough 8/10.

heard complaints about the difference in the ending aswell....but I was more gutted in the absence of the ski-bikes :ph34r:

chap-10-snow-owl3.jpg

I think that's the one I read a review of the other day. I'm NOT a fan of horror films, never have been never will. After what I've read about certain scenes in that film, I can't understand why or how anyone could watch it.

Was it as shocking as it sounds?