Films

Guest razz1e

Saw Harry Potter last night. I enjoyed it.

What I will say though is book 5 (Order of the Phoenix) is my least favourite, but they were able to trim all the pointless mess from it to make a film that was (IMHO) miles better than the book.

Book 6 is sort of the opposite - great book, the film not so - the stuff they cut out left a few holes for those who don't know the story too well. Still a top film, but my wife (who hasn't read the books) was left a bit confused by bits of it.

Anyway, some thoughts about things that were left out/added etc (spoilers added - don't read if you don't know what happens in The Deathly Hallows either):

Introduction of Rufus Scrimegeour as new minister of magic was cut. When the ministry is compromised, it's a pretty key scene. Shame that.

Bill and Fleur - they're in quite a lot of The Deathly Hallows. Maybe should have been included?

The memories of the scenes at the Gaunt house weren't included - I was looking forward to seeing Morfin (Voldemort's uncle) and Merope (Voldemort's mother).

Why did they show the Burrow burning down? It's used in The Deathly Hallows. A bit puzzled by this - where will the Weasleys go, and can we assume the wedding between Bill and Fleur won't be shown at all? It's held at The Burrow.

A plot line not shown - Tonks shown being withdrawn and miserable, due to her feelings towards Lupin. The film just showed them as a couple. The build up in the books was quite good I thought. Though I liked the fact that Luna saved Harry from the train - Luna's not in the books enough.

Greyback - pleased he was in it, but was there ANY mention of what he is? Disappointing.

The ending. The book sees Dumbledore freeze Harry so he can't speak when he's cornered by Malfoy. The film simply sees Harry hide during the confrontation. But the thing I just thought was wrong in the film was Snape sees Harry and tells him not to make a noise before he kills him. So the film audience are given more of a clue as to Snape's real motive. Harry being frozen would have been better. I think.

Not too fussed about the lack of funeral scene to be honest, and cutting the battle at Hogwarts was good because there's a bigger one in the Deathly Hallows.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Harry Potter last night. I enjoyed it.

What I will say though is book 5 (Order of the Phoenix) is my least favourite, but they were able to trim all the pointless mess from it to make a film that was (IMHO) miles better than the book.

Book 6 is sort of the opposite - great book, the film not so - the stuff they cut out left a few holes for those who don't know the story too well. Still a top film, but my wife (who hasn't read the books) was left a bit confused by bits of it.

Anyway, some thoughts about things that were left out/added etc (spoilers added - don't read if you don't know what happens in The Deathly Hallows either):

Introduction of Rufus Scrimegeour as new minister of magic was cut. When the ministry is compromised, it's a pretty key scene. Shame that.

Bill and Fleur - they're in quite a lot of The Deathly Hallows. Maybe should have been included?

The memories of the scenes at the Gaunt house weren't included - I was looking forward to seeing Morfin (Voldemort's uncle) and Merope (Voldemort's mother).

Why did they show the Burrow burning down? It's used in The Deathly Hallows. A bit puzzled by this - where will the Weasleys go, and can we assume the wedding between Bill and Fleur won't be shown at all? It's held at The Burrow.

A plot line not shown - Tonks shown being withdrawn and miserable, due to her feelings towards Lupin. The film just showed them as a couple. The build up in the books was quite good I thought. Though I liked the fact that Luna saved Harry from the train - Luna's not in the books enough.

Greyback - pleased he was in it, but was there ANY mention of what he is? Disappointing.

The ending. The book sees Dumbledore freeze Harry so he can't speak when he's cornered by Malfoy. The film simply sees Harry hide during the confrontation. But the thing I just thought was wrong in the film was Snape sees Harry and tells him not to make a noise before he kills him. So the film audience are given more of a clue as to Snape's real motive. Harry being frozen would have been better. I think.

Not too fussed about the lack of funeral scene to be honest, and cutting the battle at Hogwarts was good because there's a bigger one in the Deathly Hallows.

Anyway, I'm probably nit picking there, but I still really enjoyed it. Better than I thought after many people told me they thought it was shit. I still prefer the Goblet of Fire.

A solid 7.5 out of 10 from me. The Deathly Hallows should be top.

i love harry potter, and the movies seem to have been getting better and better

but i just found it to be terrible? i was incredibly stoned when i went to the cinema, so maybe its just not a movie for seeing stoned....

ginny is such a terrible actress, every time there was anything romantic between her and harry i cringed at the COMPLETE lack of chemistry between them

watched 3 comic book films in one day yesterday as i was suffering from mild concussion even though i wasn't supposed to watch TV.

Anyway my day started off with Spiderman on G.O.L.D and i have got to say what an awfull cast. Toby maguire is a rubbish Spiderman and that duntst lass is no good as M.J. Anyway don't think i will watch the following two.

Next was V for Vendetta, which i have seen alot of times but i love it. Such a good story of a dystopia. Really like it and don't understand why wossy didn't like it.

Then i decided to watch X men origins: Wolverine, after seeing X2 last week and enjoying it. Wolverine was good but very glad i saw X2 as they linked alot.

i Like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, he plays it well.

Just watched Donkey Punch. What an utterly ridiculous film. Enjoyable but only if you don't take it too seriously.

Now I'm gonna watch the Friday The 13th remake. I'm not hoping for much.

i love harry potter, and the movies seem to have been getting better and better

but i just found it to be terrible? i was incredibly stoned when i went to the cinema, so maybe its just not a movie for seeing stoned....

ginny is such a terrible actress, every time there was anything romantic between her and harry i cringed at the COMPLETE lack of chemistry between them

I agree with Sifi. Watchmen could have been done in a third of the time. It was far far far too long, which in turn made it a bit boring.

I thought Mirrors was terrible cheesy shite. I did like the idea of the ending though.

Powder Blue was rubbish as, I thought, was Blade Runner.

Yeah agree with what's been said about the watchman, far far too drawn out, i started to lose interest and just wanted it to end.

Finally watched The boy in the striped pyjamas at the weekend, very good film, if ot a little predictable as to what was going to happen, still i really enjoyed it.

Also re-watched memento, love that film.

My blu ray copy of true romance has arrived to day so i'll be watching that tonight, haven't seen it in a while

Edited by modey

Nah, I think you're being a bit harsh there. It wasn't terrible. I'd say it was quite good overall. Not brilliant, merely good.

As for the acting - have the kids ever been that good? I don't watch them expecting to see any Oscar nominations. And actually, I used to think Malfoy was by far the worst, but he was a bit better this time around. Agree with the lack of chemistry though. Not too fussed by it - it didn't affect my enjoyment of the previous films and it didn't affect my enjoyment of this one.

I have thought of something that we might see in the Deathly Hallows though:

As I said before, Bill and Fleur have been omitted from The Half Blood Prince. But the Burrow has been destroyed. But I've seen a picture of the set they're using for Shell Cottage (Bill and Fleur's marital home) - where Harry etc stay after the battle in the Malfoy's mansion.

I think the whole Weasley family will go to Shell Cottage now the Burrow has gone, which might explain the extra Burrow scene in THBP, and Bill and Fleur's omission.

watched 'Let the Right one in' last night and i have to say i was very dissapointed. it was very slow and i found it too dull.

after all the hype over it i was really let down by it.