Films

Guest razz1e

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched Chinatown and Double Indemnity over the weekend. Both excellent films. Highly recommended for some film moire action.

I had the displeasure of watching both Max Payne and The Spirit this weekend, Max Payne has very little of the things that made the game interesting, it uses very little of the games trademark "bullet time" scenes and has ignored the of Noir aesthetic that made the game so fresh and original. Max as a character is very shallow, the inner monologue that is depicted in the game is mostly missing from the film as are his quirky metaphors and twisted take on life. The Spirit is just as bad with terrible campy performances by pretty much every cast member your just left feeling hollow as Will Eisner turns in his grave, I loved Sin City but maybe Frank Miller is best kept under supervision by more experienced directors as he goes completely overboard with his trademark graphic style. I havent read The Spirit comics but have learnt more about them in 5 minutes on Wiki than i did in 80 minutes of this dreadful film.

Extremely, though I feel rotten saying that. I don't suppose it would tell you anything you didn't already know if you were already knowledgeable of the hunger strikes.....I mainly chose to watch it because I wasn't. But it definately gives you a good account of them. There's not a great deal of dialogue in the film, apart from the longest scene ever with the bloke discussing with his friend and priest of his plans to go on hunger strike.

It's not one for the kids!

I had the displeasure of watching both Max Payne and The Spirit this weekend, Max Payne has very little of the things that made the game interesting, it uses very little of the games trademark "bullet time" scenes and has ignored the of Noir aesthetic that made the game so fresh and original. Max as a character is very shallow, the inner monologue that is depicted in the game is mostly missing from the film as are his quirky metaphors and twisted take on life. The Spirit is just as bad with terrible campy performances by pretty much every cast member your just left feeling hollow as Will Eisner turns in his grave, I loved Sin City but maybe Frank Miller is best kept under supervision by more experienced directors as he goes completely overboard with his trademark graphic style. I havent read The Spirit comics but have learnt more about them in 5 minutes on Wiki than i did in 80 minutes of this dreadful film.

Edited by Purple Monkey

A Frank Miller work can be spotted a mile away: Swastikas, black and white, prostitutes, guns, blood and gore, crap and cheesy dialogue, cliched shallow uninteresting bad guys with a freaky gimmick, plenty of male characters with big nipples making you wonder whether Miller is that far into the cloest he's reached Narnia, etc.

Never understood the hype behind any of his work. Sin City was fun, Dark Knight Returns had a few neat ideas (albeit realised horribly - ugly), but by Jebus, there's far better out there.

300 is massively gay.

saw final destination in 3d the other night - ive realised i dont like horror films or 3d ones...

well not so much a horror film - just dont like the gore!

The Game is a really good film but i think it should

have ended when nicky went off the roof at the end, Instead of having him survive and saying that this was also meant to happen, just seemed a bit silly and too farfetched