The Stone Circle - what happens there?

Guest Josie's Cat

So, I've heard loads about this Stone Circle, I've found a panoramic view of it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/pano..._2004_360.shtml

But what actually happens there? Is it basically a big chilling/smoking/reflecting/bonding place? is there a fire there, or lots of fires? Is there entertainment or is it a BYO place?

I'm very curious about this place!

Does that photo make it look a lot bigger and the hill a lot less steep or is it just me? Perhaps it's cause I only saw it at night and was usually in no state to be making geographically acurate maps in my mind? Oh and as for the initial question, I don't actually remember much. I know we had lots of laughs with balloons and people were setting off flying fire lanterns and then this big light appeared over the horizon and everyone went nuts!

Loads of young people wander about asking other people if they're selling drugs. Lots of shouting and munting about, that's my experience of the Stone Circle at night. Daytime, lovely place to chill, but still far too many young people asking to buy drugs - despite the fact that me and mates look nothing like dealers...

they're only nippers mind.

Here's a few pics of the stone circle area to give you a little feel of the atmosphere there at different times ....

glasto212.jpg

pic_2003_steve_connor_stone_circle_night_400.jpg

Glastonbury4.jpg

340x.jpg

05%20Glastonbury%20Blog%202007%20StoneCircle384x308.JPG

But they only hint at the atmosphere there.

I'm sure other people have better pictures to post but it's a start....

When weather is good people chill out during the day in the field there overlooking the Festival site - beautiful view. :D

In the evening when it gets dark lots of people congregate there in groups - there a loads (hundreds) of little fires / candle flares all up the hill, with the sound of bongos etc - impromptu home made music etc.

Hardier people stay up all night to watch the sunrise - but I have never managed that so far - been far too tired lol.

Sorry can't really do this justice - just go up and see for yourself - it is a magical experience :P

Edited by DaveMac

aahhhh - those are lovely pics, Davemac! Realy beautiful, and very atmospheric.

The latter pic of the police reminds me of an incident at Waveform this year - we were quite happily sitting on straw bales outside the Project Storm tent, when there's a huge kerfuffle.

Four police/security (wearing stab vests - sign of the times?) are apprehending a guy who proceeds to fight back with incredible vigour - eventually he is subdued, two vehicles approach, (more men - about 8 by the end of it) he is searched, his wallet rifled through, given a proper talking to - and then let go!

He did have a stash on him, but he threw it around like confetti as he was being wrestled to the ground!

I'm all for a police presence and sensible behaviour, but it does sometimes seem a little - inappropriate!

In the right foreground of the pic, there are tow guys, one in white with a desert style hat and the other dark haired - they look as though they are merely heads, or else been buried in the ground!

There is ONE RULE you MUST follow though...

this will be your first time to the Big G and on your first visit to the Stone Circle you will walk up the hill with the crowds...

you will keep walking with the crowd...

go thru the Green Fields...

when you pass the big wooden mushrooms on your left and the Steam Powered Boats in the gypsy caravan you know you are getting close...

you will begin to hear the drums...

you will pass under the gateway and the field will open up before you...

and here follows the ONE RULE...

DO NOT LOOK BACK AT ANY POINT UNTIL YOU GET RIGHT UP INTO THE FIELD! You will turn into a pillar of salt otherwise! :)

When you have decided the spot where you are stood is the right place...THEN turn around and look back at the one of the most incredible views of your life and feel every part of your body go all tingly and make your the floor is clear because you may also fall over in awe in the process!

The even higher viewing point behind the park is even more stunning now tbh but your first experience of the SC is quite amazing.

And to finish...there is a wedding reception and 40th birthday party all taking place on the Wednesday evening up a the SC after the Cider Bus meet so if ya stick with us, you will be amongst friends to walk you to that spot! :)

Thanks Luscious Lucy, sounds like I might need a guide to make it all the way up there!

Pillar of salt - chortle! Still, I don't want to be salt, neither do I want to be trapped in the underworld forever like Orpheus's missus - he looked back didn't he? Maybe if Underworld wer actually playing it mightn't be so bad...

I shall keep my eyes fixed firmly ahead!

Yes, staying up for sunrise especially if you have a balmy night is one of life's great pleasures I think. Not sure if the children will think so - maybe I will have to rouse them at about 4 am and trek on up for dawn!

Edited by Josie's Cat

DO NOT LOOK BACK AT ANY POINT UNTIL YOU GET RIGHT UP INTO THE FIELD! You will turn into a pillar of salt otherwise! :P

When you have decided the spot where you are stood is the right place...THEN turn around and look back at the one of the most incredible views of your life and feel every part of your body go all tingly and make your the floor is clear because you may also fall over in awe in the process!