Neil Young just a little dull and somewhat painful on the ears?

Guest Peache Calhoon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which do they cover out of interest? they never have when i've seen them.

Another I missed ST Etienne

Thom Yorke on Neil Young

"I saw Neil Young live a few years ago (for €105) playing a solo acoustic gig and it was amazing, he justed rolled along swallowing up drunk clapping hecklers and ignoring Bono who sat over there and tapping his feet and bobbing his neck and explaining the songs and Greendale and Grandpa and then he played this song [After The Goldrush] but he changed the lyrics to 'Look at Mother Nature on the run/ in the twenty-first century' and still wow."

the other setlist posted was from a neil young show

hes also doing the Big Day Out festival and played this in a 90 minute set

Love and Only Love

Hey Hey My My

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

Spirit Road

Cortez the Killer

Cinnamon Girl

Mother Earth

Needle and the Damage Done

Old Man

Heart of Gold

Cowgirl in the Sand

Just Singin a Song Won't Change the World

Rockin' in the Free World

A Day in the Life

and one of the news paper reviews

So it came down to this, the sound of young England vs the sound of old man Young.

It's hard to remember a year the Big Day Out has offered a bigger mood swing or generation gap between the last two acts on the main stages.

And while the Arctic Monkeys had a reportedly impressive warm-up at the Powerstation the previous night, the young Brits never quite got up to speed and left many with an is-that-it feeling.

Perhaps playing your thoughtful new songs isn't a good idea in a festival setting.

But the mood lifted once they reached early hit I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, and then went into neatly uncharted territory on a cover of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Red Right Hand, although it was odd to hear the relative choir boy Alex Turner in place of evil bishop Cave. But no, on the big day, those young Monkeys didn't quite cut it.

Then came Neil ...

Well, if any young person thought he wasn't the man to finish off the Big Day Out, they can go back to their Limp Bizkit collection.

He was fantastic. He transcended the setting. He gave this BDO a spirit so many others have lacked.

And despite being famously contrary, he delivered a terrific greatest hits set rather than a grand indulgence. And boy, he played guitar.

Young is from the generation that first discovered the joys of electric guitars, amps and volume - and he still plays like a man thrilled with the idea.

That was apparent right from the early graunch of Hey Hey, My My (Out of the Blue) , later on a searing Cortez the Killer, and a celebratory Rockin' In the Free World which ended the main set before Young returned for a encore of the Beatles' A Day in the Life which was the most wonderful ending to a Big Day Out. Ever.

Young wasn't all high volume though, going acoustic - and managing a spot of Dr Phibes organ - on a lower key mid-set bracket which managed to dust off the delicate likes of Heart of Gold and Old Man and still make them resonate across a very big paddock.

The moment the first chorus and high-harmony kicked in on will go down as my favourite BDO moment of all time.

With Young at its heart, this Big Day Out was right up there as one of the best.

having seen Neil Young twice last year (and 5 times overall) i can safely say that his live version of Hey, Hey, My, My is my Favourite All Time Festival Song. In a field, at night, with the volume cranked up high and him going full at it = pure magic. Best live performer i've ever seen (and c'mon he's an old man!). Of all the "old time" acts i've seen he tops them all, the man is INTENSE!

Edited by challengechappers

NY and Bruce headlining isn't for me I'm afraid, one maybe but not both, and tbh not that fond of Blur.

The one thing in NY's defence is Rockin in the Free World, which is a bloody good song (rock version), but overall his stuff (and I have listened) doesn't do anything for me.

Just hope Elbow/Doves, Faithless and maybe Madness are at the Other Stage at the same time ;)

NY and Bruce headlining isn't for me I'm afraid, one maybe but not both, and tbh not that fond of Blur.

The one thing in NY's defence is Rockin in the Free World, which is a bloody good song (rock version), but overall his stuff (and I have listened) doesn't do anything for me.

Just hope Elbow/Doves, Faithless and maybe Madness are at the Other Stage at the same time ;)

Edited by sdaveak47

He is in Oz at the moment and his current setlist loks like this:

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Powderfinger / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Oh, Lonesome Me / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Light A Candle / Harvest Moon / Unknown Legend / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Just Singing A Song // Sea Change / When Worlds Collide / Cowgirl In The Sand / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

Not bad at all!!! ;)