Neil Young just a little dull and somewhat painful on the ears?

Guest Peache Calhoon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you can name me a more influential artist that has lasted as long as he has and has still managed to remain relevant I'll eat my puppy. I can't think of a single so called current bands that have the ability (and the balls) to do be able to do that. The man has inspired many generations of musicians and was the godfather behind many genres of music."

poor puppy! bob dylan and van morrison both have lasted as long and I would say Young hasn't been relevant for more than 20 years.

Paul Weller has the balls to change his musical style and time will tell how many people he influenced.

What exactly are these genres of music he is responsible for? seen as he is mainly a folk / country singer who's own influences were Hank Williams and Dylan.

He seems to be getting credited with grunge rock??? what is the many other genre's he is responsible for. I need educated so please enlighten me.

Edited by port

"If you can name me a more influential artist that has lasted as long as he has and has still managed to remain relevant I'll eat my puppy. I can't think of a single so called current bands that have the ability (and the balls) to do be able to do that. The man has inspired many generations of musicians and was the godfather behind many genres of music."

poor puppy! bob dylan and van morrison both have lasted as long and I would say Young hasn't been relevant for more than 20 years.

Paul Weller has the balls to change his musical style and time will tell how many people he influenced.

What exactly are these genres of music he is responsible for? seen as he is mainly a folk / country singer who's own influences were Hank Williams and Dylan.

He seems to be getting credited with grunge rock??? what is the many other genre's he is responsible for. I need educated so please enlighten me.

neil young is the greatest of all time IMO, so original and always stuck to his guns, always done what he wanted to do with his music by experimenting his music in a wide range of genres such as Folk , Country, Grunge, Rockabilly, Electronica, Hard Rock. That is why i respect and admire him so much because he always wanted to take his music to new heights and levels and if it didn't work he would just try out something else. I think his folk stuff [Harvest/ATGR Era] is his finest work though. Ambulance Blues is also the greatest song of all time. f**k the haters man!

Edited by When Jokers Attack

"i don't know about many genres, but folk rock would be one of 'em"

dont know if a guy with a name like tonyblair is a wind up merchant ? but if your serious..........................

away and hump yer hand.. Neil Young started folk rock??/? back in a min when I stop laughing!!

The Byrds were doing that stuff before he was . I've got absolutely nothing against the guy but the amount of muppets that are on here talking shit is unbelievable.

Neil Young did not start any musical movements nor is he solely or directly responsible for any genre's of music. Any form of music Neil Young plays can be credited to other people.

Like any other musician he has his influences as he will influence other people. Thats It!

For people to be saying that he started grunge, folk/rock etc', just highlights their ignorance of music.

Edited by port

I remember watching Neil Young on the telly with my mum when he played Live Aid in 85. I was 13 and thought it was the most boring thing I had ever heard.

Times change....

I have just spent the last two hours or so with my guitar on neck humbucker and the amp cranked up soloing (badly) over numerous Neil Young songs and it was the most fun I've had in weeks. (Apologies to my neighbours).

Love his stuff now, the guys a legend and it's going to be pretty damn special.

That's f**king bullshit man. People need show some respect, I hadn't heard much of him up to a few months ago but I was always aware it was only a matter of time before I grew to appeciate him. He is a top songwriter, most of his rock songs are more akin to Hendrix than any other guitar based music I have listened to. Do yourself a favour stop being ignorant and buy/download 'Everybody know's this is nowhere', 'Harvest', 'Rust never sleeps' and see if he is dull.

the other setlist posted was from a neil young show

hes also doing the Big Day Out festival and played this in a 90 minute set

Love and Only Love

Hey Hey My My

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere

Spirit Road

Cortez the Killer

Cinnamon Girl

Mother Earth

Needle and the Damage Done

Old Man

Heart of Gold

Cowgirl in the Sand

Just Singin a Song Won't Change the World

Rockin' in the Free World

A Day in the Life

I couldn't really give a monkeys, he's a pretty influential and legendary artist ... Paul Weller...? and you think others (me?) are talking shit

ps.. who was (mainly) responsible for grunge then?

If you had read the context you would have seen I was replying to a previous post about what artists of today have the balls to try something different and stay relevant. I was not comparing Paul Weller to Neil Young.

as for grunge.... google it yourself!!!!!!!!!!! and if you do, Neil Young aint mentioned anywhere. unless he started punk and heavy metal as well.

If Neil Young is so influential and one of the greatest songwriters of all time, go ask 20 - 30 people if they know any of the words to 3 Neil Young songs. No cheating now, dont be asking people you know are Neil Young fans.

Right.

To you're orginal question; No. He is not dull.

And to back that up.. I saw him last year when i was 14 at hop farm.

not to brag, but i have seen many bands and been to a few festivals (bestival 05, reading 06, glasto 08, hop farm 08) and he was the best artist i saw.. he blew supergrass and primal scream off the stage, and im a big fan of both of them bands.

i wasn't expecticing much, the ussual "rock" show.

He was bloody amazing!

and if he does play, which i hope he does.. you'll see what i mean!

:huh:

Young didn't really start the grunge movement as such, but had elements in some of his early work before the genre; was more soundgarden/green river, but Young experimented within grunge, and became highly influentual within the genre, to the extent he was given the "godfather of grunge" moniker.

edit to add: he never really associated himself as playing grunge tho, more "garage rock"

Edited by ralph250

I really don't have an opinion on Neil Young. It is something that has always past me by. I respect him for his talent and influence but I will look elsewhere on the night if he does play.

I am not a person who goes to see somebody to tick any boxes, I go because I want to have a good time and enjoy myself.

So if he is pitted up against somebody who I know then I will go and see them. Not really bothered ether way.

Young didn't really start the grunge movement as such, but had elements in some of his early work before the genre; was more soundgarden/green river, but Young experimented within grunge, and became highly influentual within the genre, to the extent he was given the "godfather of grunge" moniker.