Neil Young just a little dull and somewhat painful on the ears?

Guest Peache Calhoon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 Frank Black, Thurston Moore, Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder are all massive Neil Young fans = Influenced by him big time.

2 Kurt Cobain quoted a lyric from Hey Hey My My in his suicide note ("Better to burn out than to fade away")

3 Neil Young tuned the guitar down to D, like on Cinnamon Girl and also used the one note solo a lot. Just like grunge

4 His attitude and style is also very "grunge".

5 Your post was very silly.

That's f**king bullshit man. People need show some respect, I hadn't heard much of him up to a few months ago but I was always aware it was only a matter of time before I grew to appeciate him. He is a top songwriter, most of his rock songs are more akin to Hendrix than any other guitar based music I have listened to. Do yourself a favour stop being ignorant and buy/download 'Everybody know's this is nowhere', 'Harvest', 'Rust never sleeps' and see if he is dull.

Kurt Cobain was also heavy influenced by the pixies, anyone can give enough information to try to prove their point. when hes singing dylanesque, woodie guthrie or country and western style, thats a real grungy attitude eh!

Repeat Young did not invent grunge, and all the aforementioned people will have loads more influences than Neil Young.

I don't think anyone is stating he single handedly invented grunge, just that he certainly had an influence. With regard to Cobain being heavily influenced by the Pixies, yes of course that's true. Look at point 1 in The Nal's post. Frank Black (Black Francis) ring any bells? :lol:

Blimey you're a charmer :) The point I was trying to make (which you studiously ignored) was that Young influenced Frank Black, who in turn influenced Kurt Cobain, so in a way I'm agreeing with you.

I think it would be difficult, if not impossible to categorically state that any musician invented any form of music, it's all an evolutionary process.

The great thing about music is that everyone has different opinions. Just because your opinion is that he shouldn't get a headline slot doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with you.

In my opinion he is a worthy headliner (no pun intended), he has a massive back catalog that includes any number of classic songs. Your's obviously differs, that's fine, but don't get so arsey when people disagree with you...

Your another clown that jumped in without reading back...... by dispute... i take it you mean ..prove you wrong?.

If you or anyone else are able to back up your statements and prove me wrong then I'll be the first to put my hands up and say your right.

All I have done is argue that Neil Young like most other artistes has only taken other peoples influences and added his own take to them, giving a progression or diversity to it. He is not some great messiah that invented a category of music. That is the only point I am trying to make, and only to the people that are trying to say that he did. My musical taste or preference and whether I like his music or not has got nothing to do with it.

Instead of headlining (if he does) he should be playing the Sunday 5 o clock slot. better people than him have played it.

Yes he has a massive back catalogue but the whole field could sing along with every tune to the likes of Mccartney. But in your honest opinion do you think thats likely to happen? is there going to be enough fans there that are going to know and appreciate his tunes?

If the atmosphere isn't there then it could be disappointing.

Yes he has a massive back catalogue but the whole field could sing along with every tune to the likes of Mccartney. But in your honest opinion do you think thats likely to happen? is there going to be enough fans there that are going to know and appreciate his tunes?

I must admit I had to go on to itunes to see what songs he'd done. He just seems to have passed me by. I think Macca's a bit of a t*sser but I still had a great night when he headlined cause thousands upon thousands of people were singing along with him...

By the looks of this thread everyone thinks Neil Young is great and not dull.

However everyone who has argued the point for Neil Young has been excessively dull. I am now left with even more of a quandary???

Go see an obvious living legend ,who is not dull!, but be surrounded by nuggets ,who are very dull????

I shall have to think about this…

:)

I've read the whole thread, I know what you're saying, that's why I'm trying to get some clarity (ffs!). By 'dispute' I mean it's pretty much impossible to prove these things either way..

just for fun let's have a go. Neil Young helped invent/create grunge... discuss (or prove me wrong).

"Neil Young like most (actually.. every) other artistes has only taken other peoples influences and added his own take to them"

so nobody has ever truly created a genre

Neil Young isn't some singalong artist where punters join in on the chorus. Moby had the whole field going crazy, they weren't singing along though. Oasis have loads of songs to sing along to, yet it was (arguably) the dullest headline performance ever.

Some people see him as a very influential artist (I'm one of them).. why do you care so much? There's no right or wrong here.

Better people than him...? that's just your opinion.. The Stereophonics headlined one year... :lol:

Edited by port

Edited by ralph250

Covers generally are pretty dreadful, I can't decide which is worse, serious artists thinking their being ironic by covering teen pop songs (c.f bands covering 'umbrella') or bands seriously covering a song by their idols (Oasis covering 'I am the walrus). Eitehr way it's tedious, embarrassing and ultimately a big f'ing waste of time. If you don't believe in the value of your own songs, don't expect me to believe in them either.

Exception that proves the rule:

By the looks of this thread everyone thinks Neil Young is great and not dull.

However everyone who has argued the point for Neil Young has been excessively dull. I am now left with even more of a quandary???

Go see an obvious living legend ,who is not dull!, but be surrounded by nuggets ,who are very dull????

I shall have to think about this…

;)