at what age do most people stop liking new music

Guest falkirk bairn

and I'm sort of perplexed by the idea of 20 year olds listening to lots of old music. get out there, see what's hapening now, make your own music, find your own stuff. Your parents might have turned you on to some classic rock, but they wouldn't have done that if they'd spent all their time listening to their parents music, it would have all been George Formby and Duke Ellington.

'Fear not for the future, weep not for the past'

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well Im going to be 51 at this years glasto, and have been going since 84/85, this year with my 12 year old (he's been going since 05).

My first album was Cream's Wheels of Fire and I clearly remember Hendrix and the Captain B from these years. In between I've been to gigs throughout, from the Pretenders, Wayne County and Generation X to Jesus and Mary Chain, Sky, PIL, Blue Nile, Prefab Sprout, Felt, Cure and now Sigur Ros, White Stripes to name just a few and have got tickets for Antony + Js in May. Love Bjork, MGMT, Arcade Fire, Elbow now and perhaps I listen to music now like I never used to do then, no drugs or alcohol needed or taken...just delight in the talents of these people.

Nice thread...

I read a really interesting article in a psych journal last year for a media class I was in that explained that as we grow older our brain's ability to accept new types of music slowly shuts down. It never gave an age cutoff, but it said that it was basically something to do with synapsis and basically getting "hardwired" to the music you grow up with. You can obviously enjoy new artists at an older age, but they are usually sonically similar to artists from your youth. I wish I would have saved it...it talked about the birth of rock and roll and radio's roll in that as well if anyone wants to try to track it down.

Edited by suchacharmer

Until a year or two ago I was convinced that the older I got, the less new bands grabbed me. Most of these new "indie" bands on the radio just sound dull to me and it's been a long time since I heard anything truly original. I guess though that these new bands are aimed at a generation younger than me (am now in mid-to-late 20s) who haven't heard it all before, and I can see that it must be exciting to them. I realise now that most of what gets in the charts or gets championed by NME etc is for the most part aimed at the kids.

About a year and a half ago a friend of mine introduced me to the world of stoner rock, which (for the uninitiated) is basically an extension of the grunge that was into as a kid. This music is aimed at my generation, and there's a lot of great bands out there playing it, it's just that you won't hear them on the radio because they are not "commerically viable". Not that there's anything wrong with someone my age digging the latest indie chart sensation of course (and about 80% of my music collection was written before I was even born!), but the point is that pretty much whatever age you are there's always someone making music aimed at people around your age, but you've got to look around for it. I suppose with the advent of internet radio, myspace, itunes and similar sites it's becoming a lot easier to find something that you like.

what a great thread

I will have just turned 45 at this years glastonbury and still, with my equally long in the tooth mate, regularly go to gigs of new bands to just see what the scoop is. if we like em we persevere if we dont, we move on to something else.

Must add still a big drum and bass addict and still frequent fabric live and dance like a loon.

I have always said that quality music and the musicians that play it always shines through, whatever genre, and will always be worth watching or listening to, whether it be 50's country or acid techno.

I can only give the johnny cash example at glast 93/94 (memories going) to see the reaction from young and old alike to quality

This thread proves that 2009 is shaping up to be the year when Glastonbury establishes itself as the greatest festival of them all ( if it hasn't already).....with some thing for everyone from 0-80 years old.....

The scale of the site and the number of stages cannot be surpassed....

Love u all

As someone who was born in 1951 and has grown up through 6 decades of differing music, am I in a minority for people my age in saying that I've always loved listening to whatever is the "new" music of a particular time.

Having seen so many music styles come and go and found something from most that I have enjoyed, I find it amusing that so many seem to reach an age when they suddenly stop listening to anything new because it's different to what they grew up with.

Reading the posts on here over the years, I've seen so many from people wanting to see their favourite bands from years ago on the main stages.

A lot seem to be having a go because the bands of the day,whatever their musical style, are the ones who are selected to play.

Surely the point of going to glastonbury is for the experience of coming across something different, not planning your weekend round watching as many of your favourite bands from your past or who you saw when a teenager as you can.

I can understand younger people wanting to see a famous band from yesteryear just to see what the fuss was all about so why don't older people feel the same about new bands.

Sure you might not think much of them but at least you should give them a chance to try and change your mind about them.

My wife and I were lucky enough to come across some really great young bands in recent years and are going to see 4 bands, who were little known 1 year ago, on the NME Shockwaves tour tomorrow.

This is only a cpl of months after seeing loving the Nick Cave and Bad Seeds gig in November.

Enough for now so feel free to let us know how you feel and we look forward to some interesting results.

KEEP MUSIC LIVE.