tents

Guest krazyangel

hi everyone :rolleyes:

im looking for a 3 bedroom tent for glasto.was wondering if anyone knows of some sites to get good tents from.

ive looked on ebay but the ones ive seen look a bit flimsy and ive bought off there before and the tent has been crap and leaked.

any help greatly appreciated

I've always sworn by Go Outdoors, good selection of decent quality tents on there :D

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tents

P.S, i'm not stalking you tonight :D

Edited by MikeyB37

I was wondering whether I could be offered a little bit of advice. :D

This year will not only be my first Glastonbury, but also my first camping trip and the first 'holiday' that I've ever arranged, therefore I'm meticulously planning the whole thing. :)

I'll be going this summer with two friends who have also never been camping, which means it's going to be a whole new experience to all of us. Due to our lack of experience I was wondering whether people could advise me on two issues.

Firstly, the size of the tent.

This is something we have to balance quite well. There'll be three of us and we've never spent a prolonged period of time together. Therefore it's probably for the best that we're not right on top of each other. Each person is likely to want a bit of space when they need it. Seeing as there's only three of us, buying a huge tent could seem like a rather greedy solution. A large tent is not really a financially viable option as we're 3 full time students and we only work part-time at night and with money already having been spent on tickets and money needed to be spent while we're there, as well as the fact that we'll be starting university a couple of months afterwards means that we're not really in a position to be flashing the cash.

Which brings me on to the second question.

What sort of price would we be looking at for a decent sized tent that would also get us through the potentially treachorous weather that Glasto is famous for? Price can often be a good indication of the quality so what's the minimum we should consider paying? I know you can get tents easily for £100 and less but would these be of a good enough quality to survive the weather.

So basically, what 'man-size' of tent should we be looking at and what's the lowest price we could get away with for such a sized tent?

Thanks in advance. :D

I was wondering whether I could be offered a little bit of advice. :D

This year will not only be my first Glastonbury, but also my first camping trip and the first 'holiday' that I've ever arranged, therefore I'm meticulously planning the whole thing. :)

I'll be going this summer with two friends who have also never been camping, which means it's going to be a whole new experience to all of us. Due to our lack of experience I was wondering whether people could advise me on two issues.

Firstly, the size of the tent.

This is something we have to balance quite well. There'll be three of us and we've never spent a prolonged period of time together. Therefore it's probably for the best that we're not right on top of each other. Each person is likely to want a bit of space when they need it. Seeing as there's only three of us, buying a huge tent could seem like a rather greedy solution. A large tent is not really a financially viable option as we're 3 full time students and we only work part-time at night and with money already having been spent on tickets and money needed to be spent while we're there, as well as the fact that we'll be starting university a couple of months afterwards means that we're not really in a position to be flashing the cash.

Which brings me on to the second question.

What sort of price would we be looking at for a decent sized tent that would also get us through the potentially treachorous weather that Glasto is famous for? Price can often be a good indication of the quality so what's the minimum we should consider paying? I know you can get tents easily for £100 and less but would these be of a good enough quality to survive the weather.

So basically, what 'man-size' of tent should we be looking at and what's the lowest price we could get away with for such a sized tent?

Thanks in advance. :D

Hey, I usually follow the 2 man tent= 1 person rule. For yor group you'll need equivlent of 6 berth tent (Three 2 man tents should be ideal as it gives you alone space and space for bags etc).

Pricewise i guess it depends on the make. Personally, id stay clear of the supermarket offerings as they usually dont keep water out for long/ at all. Look for one with 1500 hydrostatic head (2000 ideally but they're usually more expensive) to provide you with some rainproofing. Shop around for best prices. Some tents come with 'starter packs' too if you need basic camping gear.

Once you buy your tents make sure you each know how to put them up before you go.

Another vote for Vango here

I've used my Vango Colorado 600 for the last 2 glasto's and it has been fantastic. It doesn't seem to be on Vango's website any more (only the larger versions are there) so has probably gone out of production which might mean there are a few bargains to be be had.

These people seem to have it for a decent price

Hi Krazyangel!!!!!!!

You can;t beat good old fashioned Gelert Tornado tents. This is my 3rd one (drunkards falling into 2 and a branch ripping the other one).

They are really easy to put up and have a nice little porch (an essential).

http://www.gelert.com/products/Tornado_3.aspx

Keep an eye out on Go Outdoors (Mikey gave the link), they often drop these tents down to £19.99. If not they are very common (both myself and Paul TM have one!) so you will be able to pick one up pretty much anywhere.

If you do get one, it's not a good idea to pitch it next to me! We'll both be climbing in the wrong tent!

No problem. When you start putting your tent up i usually find my excitement levels go through the roof :D

Forgot to mention, once you set up your tent at the festival remember and crack open a can of cider, lager any other alcoholic beverage before you do anything else (like unpack, go for a wander etc). Its a brilliant feeling knowing that you can relax for the next few days and not worry about anything outside the festival fence.

You can;t beat good old fashioned Gelert Tornado tents. This is my 3rd one (drunkards falling into 2 and a branch ripping the other one).

They are really easy to put up and have a nice little porch (an essential).

http://www.gelert.com/products/Tornado_3.aspx

Keep an eye out on Go Outdoors (Mikey gave the link), they often drop these tents down to £19.99. If not they are very common (both myself and Paul TM have one!) so you will be able to pick one up pretty much anywhere.

Hey, I usually follow the 2 man tent= 1 person rule. For yor group you'll need equivlent of 6 berth tent (Three 2 man tents should be ideal as it gives you alone space and space for bags etc).

Pricewise i guess it depends on the make. Personally, id stay clear of the supermarket offerings as they usually dont keep water out for long/ at all. Look for one with 1500 hydrostatic head (2000 ideally but they're usually more expensive) to provide you with some rainproofing. Shop around for best prices. Some tents come with 'starter packs' too if you need basic camping gear.

Once you buy your tents make sure you each know how to put them up before you go.

Get your arse down to Millets and buy a 2 man tent for each of you, but do your research on their website first as the assistants are often not very knowledgeable. Avoid Field and Trek unless you want to spend 500 quid on the tent! And relax, you can always buy tents on site if all else fails! Just don't try to buy wellies there once the rain starts!!

My dilemma is...

2 man tent is more practical for sleeping and comfort

5/6 man tent is more practical for comraderie and enjoyment (by which I mean, if it's raining, sitting in the tent drinking and talking together, because I assume you wouldn't get 3 people sitting in a 2 man tent?)

what do you think? :D

I followed the link and came across this;

http://www.gelert.com/products/Tornado_5.aspx

As I've already said there are 3 of us and I was thinking whether or not it would be possible for someone to sleep in what is advertised as the "storage area" or whether it offers less protection from the weather etc?

If it could function as a second bedroom it would be almost as though we had a 2 man and a 3 man tent stuck together, which would mean we'd all have a little bit of space. Theorectically this seems like a great solution but is it at all practical or not? :D

I understand what you are saying,, there is nothing better than sitting in a tent, chillig with your mates. To have this you would need a tent you could stand up in (as an example the Gelert Tornado 5 is not one you can stand up in, you have to crawl in and out of it!

I found a 6 man (3 bedroom tent HERE

this is the sort of thing I would imagine would suit you. No idea on what it's like though so if you get it and it's shit don't come after me!

I know nothing about tents, apart from the one that served me pretty well from 2004-2008 at Reading could do with replacing. But from reading what you recomend this tent looks quite good

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tents/gelert-q.../CORETSEATEN255

Do you reckon it looks and sounds decent? At £23.99 and not having to spend more than a few minutes putting it up appeals to me :D

Also sounds like a decent price for the above poster, considering they were trying to get a tent for 3 of them for under £100.

£72 for the 3 of you and you each get your own space if/when you need it :D

I am also looking for a new tent this year, so this a great thread to read.

Looking around I’ve noticed that modern tents suitable for this country are evolving to include a large communal indoor dry area. This is great - for when there are a few of you to sit in out of the rain having a few beers - between trips around the site.

Another thing ‘ve noticed is that dome tents tend to have sloping walls by the ground leaving little or no head room at the edge, this is also changing.

Also, I love having room to stand up inside a tent.

I first considered buying this tent...

Aztec_Hawk3_LRG.jpg

Aztec Hawk 3

Link to page

It has fairly steep walls, so for the room you get it has a relatively smaller foot print. I decided against it in the end though. It has no covers for the windows. I don’t like the idea of leaving it and it being obviously empty.

This is the one I hope to buy

Carolina3_MED.jpg

Outwell Carolina 3 Tent

Link to web site

It is much the same design wise, with a great dry area to sit in and store stuff, but this time with covers for the windows. It will easy allow me to stand up inside as well.

I havet ordered it yet, I’m still doing research.

One Golden Rule I can suggest though...

When you’ve decided on the tent you want to buy, copy and paste the brand type and catalogue number into Google and do a search for price comparison.

Edited by Staberinde

Just to add my fivepennyworth, go for a bigger tent than people attending - I've used a Colemans dome tent that sleeps 5 - its been used for 3 of us, and there is a great communal area where you can stand up - important for 3 guys all over 6 foot tall. Communal area is also great as when it is pouring down, it becomes a communcal area for the nice folks close by who are in a small / leaky / cold tent.