tents

Guest krazyangel

Hi Krazyangel!!!!!!!

You can;t beat good old fashioned Gelert Tornado tents. This is my 3rd one (drunkards falling into 2 and a branch ripping the other one).

They are really easy to put up and have a nice little porch (an essential).

http://www.gelert.com/products/Tornado_3.aspx

Keep an eye out on Go Outdoors (Mikey gave the link), they often drop these tents down to £19.99. If not they are very common (both myself and Paul TM have one!) so you will be able to pick one up pretty much anywhere.

If you do get one, it's not a good idea to pitch it next to me! We'll both be climbing in the wrong tent!

I am also looking for a new tent this year, so this a great thread to read.

Looking around I’ve noticed that modern tents suitable for this country are evolving to include a large communal indoor dry area. This is great - for when there are a few of you to sit in out of the rain having a few beers - between trips around the site.

Another thing ‘ve noticed is that dome tents tend to have sloping walls by the ground leaving little or no head room at the edge, this is also changing.

Also, I love having room to stand up inside a tent.

I first considered buying this tent...

Aztec_Hawk3_LRG.jpg

Aztec Hawk 3

Link to page

It has fairly steep walls, so for the room you get it has a relatively smaller foot print. I decided against it in the end though. It has no covers for the windows. I don’t like the idea of leaving it and it being obviously empty.

This is the one I hope to buy

Carolina3_MED.jpg

Outwell Carolina 3 Tent

Link to web site

It is much the same design wise, with a great dry area to sit in and store stuff, but this time with covers for the windows. It will easy allow me to stand up inside as well.

I havet ordered it yet, I’m still doing research.

One Golden Rule I can suggest though...

When you’ve decided on the tent you want to buy, copy and paste the brand type and catalogue number into Google and do a search for price comparison.

I just bought a Vango Sigma 300+, it's 2007 model and being sold cheaper (£43.93) than the 2008 or 2009 models.

I have a few Vango tents, they are well made and reasonably priced.

I wanted the Sigma 300+ as it's got two doors (front and back), so I can open both and get some airflow - hopefully avoiding my tent becoming an oven. I used to have a tent with similar arrangement, so know it works well.

Edited by r0cky

hiya Krazy Angel, great thread by the way. I've found this years real ale thread, now all we need is the 'Trolly' thread and the 'Flag' thread for 2009, all all is set.

When you said three bedroom, I thought of this....

FAL6MG_MED.jpg

I't's a bit pricey, but the three of you could live like queens :)

Here's the link to the page

You probably won't buy that one, but is'nt it great fun looking around and checking out all the different types :)

see you in June

Just a quick word for those who are new to Glastonbury and intend to take a large e.g. 5 man+ tent with them that they can be quite heavy to lug about and you may have quite a long walk from the carparks to your eventual camping location.

Remember you are going to want to take a number of other items with you and you could easily have to walk a mile or more carrying everything with you.

I always take a small lightweight tent with me cause I always seem to have to walk for ages to find a suitable site. :)

If you are determined to bring a lot of heavy stuff think about a sack truck or other heavy duty trolley.

( there have been threads devoted to this somewhere on here )

Just a thought as you don't want to be exhausted before you even get the tent up esp if weather is poor.

I know nothing about tents, apart from the one that served me pretty well from 2004-2008 at Reading could do with replacing. But from reading what you recomend this tent looks quite good

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tents/gelert-q.../CORETSEATEN255

Do you reckon it looks and sounds decent? At £23.99 and not having to spend more than a few minutes putting it up appeals to me :rolleyes:

Also sounds like a decent price for the above poster, considering they were trying to get a tent for 3 of them for under £100.

£72 for the 3 of you and you each get your own space if/when you need it ;)

i've used pop up tents for years and they've always been perfect for the job i can't recomend them highly enough, my last one was a Quechua 2 man and she passed away last year after 6 or 7 festival outings including glasto 07 where she held up perfectly with all that rain and mud bless her. (actually all is wrong is the zip busted)

i replaced her with a bigger 3 man dealy and she is going great guns too.

Here She is

just make sure they are double skin and not single.

Edited by .jay.

This is going to sound really daft but has anyone got any recommendations on whre to buy replacement tent poles (fibreglass ones) for a millets eurohike tent? I don't want to ditch it just 'cos one of the poles is broken, but when I gooogled, I got absolutely baffled by all the info. Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully recieved.

Mardy Posted Today, 08:16 PM

This is going to sound really daft but has anyone got any recommendations on whre to buy replacement tent poles (fibreglass ones) for a millets eurohike tent? I don't want to ditch it just 'cos one of the poles is broken, but when I gooogled, I got absolutely baffled by all the info. Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully recieved.

Mate go in to your local Millets, they sell replacement poles, and the staff should be able to help you out.

If it is just one pole, they might just have spare ones, which they will give you for free...well we do that in liverpool :rolleyes:

Mardy Posted Today, 08:16 PM

Mate go in to your local Millets, they sell replacement poles, and the staff should be able to help you out.

If it is just one pole, they might just have spare ones, which they will give you for free...well we do that in liverpool :rolleyes: