Secret Slot?

Guest Wm.!

Secret Slot?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these four do you think will be the secret headliner?

• Coldplay
    • Arctic Monkeys
    • Fleetwood Mac
    • Led Zeppelin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

could a similar thing not happen like sterophonics playing despite being at V, as you explained in the csn&y thread? or would reading/leeds be less willing to come to a similar agreement?

while I don't know for sure, I believe its the case that Reading/Leeds are much keener to have exclusive acts than V - I think that V fest's biggest priority is to get huge bands with wide appeal, which means that they're prepared to compromise exclusivity a little more in getting those bands. I also believe its the case that Reading/Leeds rejected the opportunity to book certain bands this year because they couldn't have them on an exclusive basis.

Having said that, I guess it's still possible that R/L could share a headliner with Glasto, tho I believe it's the case that they've tightened up their contracts since Metallica played a 'secret slot' at Download the same year they were headlining Reading (around 5 years back), precisely because they want to ensure the exclusivity of their headliners.

while I don't know for sure, I believe its the case that Reading/Leeds are much keener to have exclusive acts than V - I think that V fest's biggest priority is to get huge bands with wide appeal, which means that they're prepared to compromise exclusivity a little more in getting those bands. I also believe its the case that Reading/Leeds rejected the opportunity to book certain bands this year because they couldn't have them on an exclusive basis.

Having said that, I guess it's still possible that R/L could share a headliner with Glasto, tho I believe it's the case that they've tightened up their contracts since Metallica played a 'secret slot' at Download the same year they were headlining Reading (around 5 years back), precisely because they want to ensure the exclusivity of their headliners.

If it isnt announced prior to the festival I think it will be a collaboration with Springsteen that could be a headliner in their own right. It dosent fit in with the English thing but my guess is that it could be Jack White. Hes callaborated with Springsteen before several times in the past and he has headlined the pyramid so therefore fits in with the "major" thing. Meg is still recovering from her anxiety so I guess that rules out a full Stripes set but Jack seems to collaborating with just about everyone in the studio at the moment.

well, in terms of crowd pull for the pyramid at that slot compared to alternative stages. i only said the cynical side of me! :O

imagine if some really crap band were to be in that slot, if it's not known who is to play, people would pack out the pyramid fearing to not miss a radiohead or whatever performance (loss aversion), etc.

there's some truth to this.....

Back in (I think) '94, when Tom Jones played, there was a secret slot (which is where Tom played). There were rumours galore about who the act was going to be, with the two strongest rumours being U2 and Prince.

There were, apparently, quite a number of people who got themselves to the Pyramid early that day and stayed there all day, so that they got themselves a great spot on the barrier ready to see their favourite act who they were sure would be playing.

I'd have loved to have seen their faces when Tom Jones came on stage. :):lol:

I think looking at all the clues - and there are some great points made in this thread - that the Arctic Monkeys and Coldplay seem the most likely. I do think however in this day and age of easy and instant sharing of information that there is little to no chance that we will be stood in the Pyramid field at 8.30pm on Saturday still not knowing who the 'secret' fourth headliner is.

There was something in the Sunday papers a few weeks ago saying Johnny Marr had met up with Morrisey lately, and it had been "nice". He also said that they had been offered a ridiculous amount of money to reform for a festival.

Not sure what the chances would be though.

Edited by Bluearsedfly

Whoever it is there is no way I will stay secret until they go on. Last year in the press area everyone knew who the special guests in all the slots were on the Thursday, couldn’t see this being any different if it even stays secret that long.

One thing we do know for sure is that whoever it is it will be a let down for some and the best thing ever for others, and this board would be full of jibbering and arguing over it for weeks after the festi

Neil, would ME not letting us know until 5 mins before they come on stage not massively comprimise the Health and Safety regs? I mean, imagine the rumors going round that its Pink Floyd or Led Zep complete with Plant, there crowd surge would be huge!!! We could get a massive crush!

Neil, would ME not letting us know until 5 mins before they come on stage not massively comprimise the Health and Safety regs? I mean, imagine the rumors going round that its Pink Floyd or Led Zep complete with Plant, there crowd surge would be huge!!! We could get a massive crush!

nah - there's more than enough space in front of the Pyramid for however many will take the chance on a rumour.

Don't forget, there's all the other stages, and there'd be plenty of people who'd decide to go for the guaranteed acts in those stages in preference to a 'maybe' act on the Pyramid.

nah - there's more than enough space in front of the Pyramid for however many will take the chance on a rumour.

Don't forget, there's all the other stages, and there'd be plenty of people who'd decide to go for the guaranteed acts in those stages in preference to a 'maybe' act on the Pyramid.

Glastofun, have you ever been to Glastonbury? If there is somebody on there people don't like, I'd suggest they'd show their disapproval by sitting down and rolling a spliff or if they are really angry by going somewhere else and doing something else.