Next bands Announced

Guest theramm

Out of all the festival forums there seems to be the most negativity on the V forum this year, and rightfully so IMO. I think there's a few of us long time V goers who are putting faith in the next announcement to bring a little credibility back to the line-up with some bands who we haven't seen in the last 2 years.

Now, I don't think anyone here will argue that V have seemed to make a conscious decision to appeal to pop fans more than the average festival going crowd. What if the next announcement is weighed even more heavily towards poppier acts? Sugarbabes, Pussycat Dolls etc. Will people here sell their tickets or still attend? What are the chances of this? I was only thinking hypothetically but having just read the thread about Seasick Steve I wouldn't be surprised.

Out of all the festival forums there seems to be the most negativity on the V forum this year, and rightfully so IMO. I think there's a few of us long time V goers who are putting faith in the next announcement to bring a little credibility back to the line-up with some bands who we haven't seen in the last 2 years.

Now, I don't think anyone here will argue that V have seemed to make a conscious decision to appeal to pop fans more than the average festival going crowd. What if the next announcement is weighed even more heavily towards poppier acts? Sugarbabes, Pussycat Dolls etc. Will people here sell their tickets or still attend? What are the chances of this? I was only thinking hypothetically but having just read the thread about Seasick Steve I wouldn't be surprised.

Well I've only been going to V for 2yrs now and this will be my 3rd, whilst I won't sell my ticket for this year I would be disappointed if they did announce more poppy stuff tbh

There is loads of good acts been further announced for other festies and I pray to god we get the same but I am abit worried....

I definately won't be buying V ticket for next year until I see lineup as went to Leeds last year and that is favoring over V as festie of choice but it does depend on what type of music u like I suppose?!

I'm with you. V 05' was one of the best weekends ever. I can understand why the V organisers have decided to shift towards the pop side of things but it doesn't mean i have to like it. If Download & now Sonisphere are aimed towards rock fans, R&L this year (from the rumours anyway) are going for the indie demographic & Glasto appeals across the board the V organisers have spotted a gap in the market & appealing to fans of music radio as opposed to the hardcore festival/gig goer seems like a smart business decision.

I'm starting to regret buy a ticket & if V was my only fest this year I'd be absolutely gutted.

I'm with you. V 05' was one of the best weekends ever. I can understand why the V organisers have decided to shift towards the pop side of things but it doesn't mean i have to like it. If Download & now Sonisphere are aimed towards rock fans, R&L this year (from the rumours anyway) are going for the indie demographic & Glasto appeals across the board the V organisers have spotted a gap in the market & appealing to fans of music radio as opposed to the hardcore festival/gig goer seems like a smart business decision.

I'm starting to regret buy a ticket & if V was my only fest this year I'd be absolutely gutted.

Whilst V2005 was good it still had a shite load of pop acts of the line up too, Scissor Scissors headlined one day and Oasis the other who are we could argue are the most pop indie band going [of the big un's]

You also had Joss Stone, Tony Christie [who was only there based on his single being a huge charity hit], Jem, Estelle, Rooster, Maroon 5, Natasha Beddingfield, Bodyrockers, and tons more and lots of indie pop Kaiser Chiefs, Athlete, Embrace, The Kooks etc

So really it isn't something thats just happened

I can't see them making it a full bubble gum pop festival, thing is whats selling in the charts the most is pop music, and V always go for chart acts, so until it goes back to indie /rock going huge again, we avin't gunna get those acts, thankfully though you'll always have a core indie backbone at V and a glimmer of dance too

Not selling my ticket, mainly as I enjoy most types of music and if you work it out that you would pay £35 - £50 to see a big act like Oasis then see three big acts and you have covered your investment. Also its a great thing to get lots of mates together from all over the country, with some great background music most of the time.

We are just getting older and the charts are getting crapper... but I think V will always have about 5 acts that are good enough to get me there. However V is trying to pull a niche of radio friendly acts together as other festivals have tied up the other genres. Hell Hard Rock Calling has a great line-up this year and its only £45 per day, plus if you find a closeby hotel its a rocking weekend in London.

I am a bit disappointed with the line-up but if the acts on the mainstage are crap I will go on a tour of the arenas and starting up bands / never heards. Hell if things really get bad I might end up playing V!

If you are looking for alternatives to V though look at some of the local fests, they may not be camping but some great little known fests - Sky-Fest near me is organised by someone I know and they managed to get Hawkwind onto the bill. So it shows you can get named acts if you try.

As regarding line-ups the reason I think we didn't notice the pop so much was there were bigger indie and rock bands pushing them out of the way in our minds, or shunting them off to other stages. I can remember the Foo Fighters clearly but barely remember Just Jack as I wasn't interested. Last year had a smattering of pop acts, but again these were less stand out as they were up against the likes of Lenny Kravitz and The Verve on the bill. This year the pop acts are some of the bigger ones and there is less to drown them out.

Whilst V2005 was good it still had a shite load of pop acts of the line up too, Scissor Scissors headlined one day and Oasis the other who are we could argue are the most pop indie band going [of the big un's]

You also had Joss Stone, Tony Christie [who was only there based on his single being a huge charity hit], Jem, Estelle, Rooster, Maroon 5, Natasha Beddingfield, Bodyrockers, and tons more and lots of indie pop Kaiser Chiefs, Athlete, Embrace, The Kooks etc

So really it isn't something thats just happened

I can't see them making it a full bubble gum pop festival, thing is whats selling in the charts the most is pop music, and V always go for chart acts, so until it goes back to indie /rock going huge again, we avin't gunna get those acts, thankfully though you'll always have a core indie backbone at V and a glimmer of dance too

I wont be selling my ticket despite the fact I am bitterly disappointed with the line-up. I have been to V every year since 03 and have always enjoyed myself and I think Weston Park is a great venue for such an event. Its a nice picturesque place, its near to where I live and I have always enjoyed going there for the festival and having a great laugh with my mates.

But next year I will wait to see what the line-up is. Weston Park being a nice place and my best mates being there isnt really enough - at the end of the day we are going to see great bands play and if the music aint what your into, there isnt much point going - you may as well have a weekend in Prague or Amsterdam etc with the lads for a piss-up instead.

Im literally creaming over the IoWs line-up and im temped to try it this year...some of my work mates have been going for a few years now and speak very highly of it. If I do make this venture, I can see my 7th V being my last. It probably is a concious move to swap demographics by the organisers - fickle 5 minute wonder pop acts are probably cheaper to hire leaving more money for a big headliner such as oasis, and pop acts reach a wider audience thus 'easier ticket sale'????? - i don't know.

There will no doubt be a post on here soon giving it the old 'if you dont like it, dont go' but there are a lot of ppl on here who have been going to V for years and they are obviously disapointed in the new direction it is taking which is understandable - i am one of these people.

The top and bottom of it is next year is a big maybe for me

every year there seems to be the same negative posts imo, (its getting too poppy, bad organisation, cancellations, line up worse every year!) I enjoy it for the same reasons as staffknot, and i actually had my best year last year (out of 8). I also reckon the line up usually gives most people 8 acts a day to watch which is value for money.

This year has definately been the most divisive I can remember, I don't think it's necessarily 100% based on the line-up announced either. As above, the european fests are putting on awesome line-up for less cash (Plus you can pretty much guarantee the weather) Lowlands is 140 euro for 3 days including camping, shuttle bus etc. Plus with the current economic climate people are looking to get the most bang for their buck, other 2 day festivals (like Sonisphere) are having to put on big UK exclusives to compete with cheaper 3 day fests.

The 2nd announcement is either going to have people breathign a huge sigh of relief or going mental. Another factor that I don't think I've seen mentioned is how it'll affect the atmosphere, if there's less to keep people entertained throughout the day people will drink more, the atmos on the Oasis day in 05' was tense anyway, add even more booze & it'll be interesting to say the least.

This year has definately been the most divisive I can remember, I don't think it's necessarily 100% based on the line-up announced either. As above, the european fests are putting on awesome line-up for less cash (Plus you can pretty much guarantee the weather) Lowlands is 140 euro for 3 days including camping, shuttle bus etc. Plus with the current economic climate people are looking to get the most bang for their buck, other 2 day festivals (like Sonisphere) are having to put on big UK exclusives to compete with cheaper 3 day fests.

The 2nd announcement is either going to have people breathign a huge sigh of relief or going mental. Another factor that I don't think I've seen mentioned is how it'll affect the atmosphere, if there's less to keep people entertained throughout the day people will drink more, the atmos on the Oasis day in 05' was tense anyway, add even more booze & it'll be interesting to say the least.