You have got to be feckin kidding?

Guest jamesbduk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, V's always been my second festival, so I never really posted on here until it truly upset me that it had become such a shadow of its former self, which despite its many faults was still great.

I think that's the thing that has annoyed me most is that instead of addressing the obvious faults (overcrowding, walking distances, bar queues), they have made them worse and worse over the years!

Last year there was a longer than ever queue to get tokens, then an equally long queue at the bar, it took nearly an hour to get a drink in!!! They can f**k right off.

Ok, it sounds like the acts arent to your taste but if you look at the size of the bands that are playing now- argueably the best bands (certainly the biggest selling bands in the noughties). Snow Patrol (biggest band of 2007) Razorlight huge over last 5 years. Killers- Massive global appeal. Plus Oasis- biggest band of the 90's in the UK. You think it was cheap getting these boys in???? Plus some great nostalgia bands such as Lightening Seeds and James. I would love to someone to name a festival that offers a better line-up in terms of current band appeal. If its more nostalgia you want, glasto. If its rock- download. If its dance, creamfields. If its an inferior line-up, leeds and reading festival (in my opinion)

V aint a perfect festival but i do think they keep to their idea of being the festival that offers the best line-up.

And so what if they have pulled a stage. More stages doesnt mean more quality. There is a huge selection of bands, many with mass appeal and I dont see how anyone can grumble. Less choice also makes for easier decisions.

Im now looking forward to it more than i was before i wrote this.

Bring on the bow!!!!!!

Alot of the acts would have played V in years gone by, but because V is changing its target audience in being a much more very pop/chart orientated festival as they have so much competition now they have to change their market more so it is different to others - I understand there is a big market for this and do understand why they are doing it but its quite upsetting to people who have gone for years as they are being alienated by V for another target audience so course people are gonna be upset!!

Right rant over!! Can't wait for V as will be fun but some people really are deluded!!!

For the first time ever I'm having real trouble getting excited about V. I don't like saying that, but the combination of the new layout at Hylands (as of 2008) and the truly lousy line up have sapped my enthusiasm. I just hope the sun shines and the beer flows. I am looking at the line up and whereas in the past I might think about seeing Seth Lakeman or Howling Bells or We Have Band, this year they are nailed on certainties - borne out of necessity!

V had some iffy years around 2000-2002 but they have surpassed themselves this year. Can't see Tinchy Stryder being added to my magical list of festie memories FFS!

I feel obliged to defend V here. I have always been and always will be a reading/Leeds man - the pile them high attitude to booking bands that festival has suits me down to the ground and has done on and off since 1989. V is not, never has been and never will be R/L or Glastonbury - neither its audience nor its organisers want it to be. Its basis is mainstream, its basis is the chart and the Radio 1 Playlist. Its basis is artists that sell alot of records and play to alot of people.

Even given that the carping about lack of quality and credibiltiy is dull: Ladyhawke; British Sea Power; MGMT; Noisettes; 2 Many DJs; King Blues; Dizzee Rascal; Biffy Clyro; Mystery Jets; Pendulum; Elbow; Mikee Snow; Fatboy Slim; the Streets; Sunshine Underground; Howling Bells; The Enemy; and yes the Killers and Oasis - all bands that have played more 'credible' festivals and frankly almost all of whom Reading would have loved and will have play again (ignoring those that played last year).

The comparison to T I see on this board and others are pointless - ignoring Rockness as its still early doors for that festival T has no real competition in Scotland. V and Reading compete - if you play one festival you cant play the other which means the artists get split across the two festivals - you cant have them all. Having been to T this year for the 4th time the biggest crowds for their respective stages ignoring the obvious headliners - The Saturdays; Katy Perry; Elbow; Jamie T; The Specials; Lady gaga; Ting Tings; Florence; Lily Allen. All but 2 at V - doubt this? - wait and see what the crowd is like for Katy Perry and good luck trying to get in to the tent when Lady Gaga is on.

The main split in the festival market is V vs R/L (and to a lesser extent R/L vs Download)- they are both huge festivals (150k+ across two sites) that put on a large volume of bands catering to a broad range of people. And while I could do without alot of the bands are V fact is alot of bands that people are critical of will pull crowds. Big crowds.

Anyway - i cant rememebr my point. Really if the line up offends people that much find another festival. I'll be trying to juggle the Specials, Saturdays, The Ting Tings and Howling Bells.

Look at all other at least mainstream festivals

Reading- kings/arctics/radiohead

glatsto neil young/bruce/blur

t in the park- kings/killer/blur

v- oasis and killers

All hav got huge headliners but I dont think that is anywhere near enough to sell out a festival its about smaller but equally more enjyable bands.

My friends and I have been planning on going to reading since last year and when the V initial line up came out they were amazed and said I think we should do V I managed to persuade them out of it and because the headliners look good they wanted to go and now look at the reading line up.

Im sure all going will have a good time.

Erm...KOL biggest band of this year and last...Arctic Monkeys massive over the last 3-4 years, Radiohead, Prodigy, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs, all for pretty much the same money!

If you're looking at Headliners on that level, Reading wins hands down, if you're looking at the line-up as a whole, there is no comparison whatsoever.

Otherwise I agree with what everyone else has said, luckily I realised all this last year, so am not attending.

About time I let fly with my considered opinion...

I do agree that the line-up this year is weaker than the other festivals. That said, it is varied and there should be something for everyone. In years gone by there always seemed to be one headliner that made me go 'hell yeah!' but this year that isn't the case...

BUT

I am still really looking forward to going, and no doubt I will have a good time whatever. My view is that a festival is what you make it, and there are more than enough bands that I want to see to keep me amused and probably happy while slightly drunk!

I will probably get the early bird tickets for V 2010, as I did for this year. I have been in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008, and have enjoyed myself each time. Some years were better than others, but that is just the way life is.

I have never been to Glasto, and probably never will, but I am planning to try the Isle of Wight next year, and making it into a bit of a holiday.

V is not shit, but it could improve a lot, but it sells out every year and while it is doing that nothing much will change. The addition of the Black Sheep tipi villages within the arena has been good in my view, and I do like the Strongbow and Bacardi rooms. Let's hope that we all have a great time this year, and we'll wonder what we were all moaning about!

Look at all other at least mainstream festivals

Reading- kings/arctics/radiohead

glatsto neil young/bruce/blur

t in the park- kings/killer/blur

v- oasis and killers

All hav got huge headliners but I dont think that is anywhere near enough to sell out a festival its about smaller but equally more enjyable bands.

My friends and I have been planning on going to reading since last year and when the V initial line up came out they were amazed and said I think we should do V I managed to persuade them out of it and because the headliners look good they wanted to go and now look at the reading line up.

Im sure all going will have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even give my tickets away!

After many happy years at V, i'd decided that this year's piss poor line up was just too shite, so i gave my 4 weekend with camping tickets to a neighbour that i sort of owed a favour to...

(When i say 'gave', I was going to get £50 for each ticket.)

But due to the fact that the utter munts at See Tickets have still not sent out the tickets, I can't get them to my neighbour in time, and now she is saying 'don't worry, I wasn't that bothered anyway'...

I rang See Tickets Head Office (cos you should always try for the top man) and just got a very smug PA informing me that See Tickets 'reserve the right' to send tickets out as late as 48hrs before an event...

She also said that I should have read the Small Print before buying through them!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers love! Nice to know that you've got your back covered when you feck up peoples plans... ;)

The Head Office number for See Tickets is 0115 912 9192 btw :P

The Chief Exec is called Rob Wilmhurst...

You can't get to your neighbour in 3 days?? Where do you live...the 1780's??? Or Walsall???

U are as dry as a weetabix ;):P

Happy just to see James and Elbow on the Saturday and The Specials on the Sunday - it's all down to the individual :(B)