Security Firm at End of the Road

Guest HeyJoe-85

This was my 3rd End of the Road, and I have to say the best one yet. I already can't wait for next year and whilst I hope they keep the capacity at 5000, I hope even more that they consider using a new security firm.

In the past EOTR has been the best festival in the country for many reasons, a major one being the friendly atmosphere and nature of the staff. This year, despite the stewards being helpful and friendly, the festival was let down by the aggressive and rude nature of the security. When troubles arose with getting to see the Fleet Foxes, they approached the situation like pub bouncers. I don't feel EOTR attracts any aggresive festival goers, so i'm not sure why we were treated like them. Also the people controlling the crowd capacity in the Tipi tent were rude, insulting and inaffective. A half empty Tipi tent refused to let any one in during Charlie Parr's set because it was obviously an easier option than clearing the pathway that would allow more in. I understand that in other enviroments they're jobs could be stressful, but with EOTR and it's audience, they were in no way in keeping with the feel of the festival.

Did anyone else feel this way or was it just me?

Still, a fantastic festival which I can't wait to return to next year!

I didn't have an issue with them.

I did however get fed up with the 2nd wristband check going into the garden stage, I didn't really see the point. If they're controlling numbers what's that got to do with wristbands? and if we've got into that area we must have a wristband on already surely? Only a tiny moan it was just a pain in the arse having to stop and dig out my wrist from under layers of clothes for me with the bloody crutches and for my sister who was laden with two people's gear all weekend.

I've seen much worse security, try going to Reading for example. However, I did find their attitude a bit off and agree about the way they were mismanaging the Tipi where they appeared to be doing a completely random none out 6 in, or 6 out none in kind of thing. However, the twat that threw a bottle at the stage during The Hold Steady proved that we will never be able to have a self-policing festival in the UK again - gone are those days. I thought it was good not having the Police on site, as they certainly tainted many people's weekend at Beautiful Days. As for the Stewards, I found them unbelievably friendly and helpful - so congrats to them!

Didn't particualrly notice them until the end of the disco on the last night, when some people were trying to dance on the stage and they were getting very heavy handed and frankly humourless. Totally not in keeping with the spirit of EOTR. I don't know who employed them but they got the wrong people.

Knowing as I do a 6ft+ guy who is built like the proverbial brick one, and used to work as security at the NEC but is basically a big cuddly bear it is possible for security people to actually behave like something other than faceless (not to mention toothless) automata.

My point was more that a friendlier approach has work for the past few years at EOTR, and hopefully this is one festival that will never need to get close to the Reading style of policing. I also want to make it very clear, just how brilliant and helpful the stewards were. My complaint is not with them.

On a plus note it was nice to see that they got rid of the alcohol policy they introduced last year. Always good to be able to bring in your on booze. Still ended up spending most of my time with a Late Red in my hand. What a fantastic brew!!

Edited by HeyJoe-85

My point was more that a friendlier approach has work for the past few years at EOTR, and hopefully this is one festival that will never need to get close to the Reading style of policing. I also want to make it very clear, just how brilliant and helpful the stewards were. My complaint is not with them.

On a plus note it was nice to see that they got rid of the alcohol policy they introduced last year. Always good to be able to bring in your on booze. Still ended up spending most of my time with a Late Red in my hand. What a fantastic brew!!

I had no problem with them at any point, hardly noticed them to be honest, except:

At Fleet Foxes. I was trying to get in as well, and they were really unhelpful. You could hear people shouting 'tell us what's going on' and not getting anything back in response. And when we did get in, the place was fairly empty anyway.

So I'd suggest that the security could be a bit more relaxed and communicative in such situations, but really they weren't *that* bad (compare them to security at a club or something, they were great).

As for the idiot throwing things during HS (as well as the bottle thrown at the band someone threw a full cup of beer into the audience): is there any way he can get a life ban? :(

This was my 3rd End of the Road, and I have to say the best one yet. I already can't wait for next year and whilst I hope they keep the capacity at 5000, I hope even more that they consider using a new security firm.

In the past EOTR has been the best festival in the country for many reasons, a major one being the friendly atmosphere and nature of the staff. This year, despite the stewards being helpful and friendly, the festival was let down by the aggressive and rude nature of the security. When troubles arose with getting to see the Fleet Foxes, they approached the situation like pub bouncers. I don't feel EOTR attracts any aggresive festival goers, so i'm not sure why we were treated like them. Also the people controlling the crowd capacity in the Tipi tent were rude, insulting and inaffective. A half empty Tipi tent refused to let any one in during Charlie Parr's set because it was obviously an easier option than clearing the pathway that would allow more in. I understand that in other enviroments they're jobs could be stressful, but with EOTR and it's audience, they were in no way in keeping with the feel of the festival.

Did anyone else feel this way or was it just me?

Still, a fantastic festival which I can't wait to return to next year!

ive been to every eotr so far, and this was by far my best, as few as im aware the same security firm has been used every year, i think they do a great job, its good to see the same faces year in year out and im now on first name terms with a couple of them, gotta thank them for walking me to my tent when i was too wrecked to find it lol, and for giving my car a jump start on sunday night, remember guys they are there to work, we not all always happy and smiling at work, well im not anyway, thanks to everyone concerned with this years festy, sent me into the winter with a big smile, see you next year

I thought security were fine. We were stuck outside the Tipi waiting to get in to Blitzen Trapper, but they were very friendly and we had a good chat (very fine, really, when I consider I had been drinking for about 6 hrs by that point in the day).

Wish there had been more security walking around the camping on Sunday night - maybe they could have got the bunch of noisy arseholes to go to bed before 6.00am (and this in the nominal family camping field).

I was about 10 feet behind the bottle throwing idiot at The Hold Steady. He and his friends were fans of the band!!!

The firm was ESN security. I think they are the best security firm around, theirn regular staff are brilliant and I have worked with them a number of times. However, some extra staff are brought in for the festival which may not always judge things right, such as the Fleet Foxes where I think there was some confusuion as to what to do from a few areas because there was obviously space further in but a bottleneck had formed near to the entrance, I think security were not sure what to do at first. On the hole I think security were better that any other festival I have been to and I have had more than my fair share of run ins with them.

As with the Larmer Tree Festival (July) security at the EOTR was always low key (previous 3 years), stewards organising the majority of control and doing a superb job at that!

This year I felt threated by the presence of "bouncer" style security. The fiasco we witnessed during the "Fleet Foxes" set was unbelievable, restricting festival goers entry only proved more antagonistic. Also agree with other comments, why was it necessary to show wrist bands again when entering the Garden Stage. Surely once is enough in a secure area that is the festival site

Please organisers, take note of comments in this forum post or risk loosing the calm, friendly atmosphere that is the EOTR

Marion :rolleyes: