The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

I'm still very excited about this gig.

In fact, I'd say that U2 are my most listened to artist on my iPod so far in 2010. THAT'S how much I'm looking forward to them.

Very, very, very excited.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo what wooderson was saying earlier on about the technology setup driving their shows recently and as such, set lists, and their likely 'safe' approach to friday night in the big field. much less chance of too much improv’ing going on for the past decade or two. Gone are the days when they could do 2 nights at Wembley Stadium and do 2 entirely different sets, and just a ragged-looking cloth of a joshua tree as a backdrop.

So we wonder what we’ll have at Glasto? No claw, but I’m sure they’ll still have big mega screens covering the entire back of the stage. This is a pretty important gig for them and they’ll take it seriously. It’s a chance to win over those veering towards the ‘I don't necessarily like Bono/U2...he/they just annoy me for some reason’ crowd with a global tv performance (as the BBC is letting this go to the US and beyond) . I'm not sure how many neutral viewers would have actually logged onto YouTube to watch the Los Angeles Rose Bowl gig from last year.

As for the setlist…we can speculate, but I think we’ll have a bit more of an idea come june 3 & 6 when they're two dates in, to see if they’ve deviated much from ’09. We'll get 2 hours (did everyone notice that not just Bruce, but every headliner got 2 hours last year? i think that may be the new arrangement with pyramid headliners here on out) .... Will ‘Breathe’ still be the opener?

I reckon the whole tour this year will be a bit more about U2 than it was last year, when it was about plugging ‘No Line on the Horizon’, when they were more worried about it logging up 30 or 40+ weeks on the charts. It’s still a great record and we’ll still hear a lot from it, but they allow a bit more leeway for a few tracks they didnt play much or at all last year.

But as for Glastonbury…when did U2 last have 2 hrs straight on the BBC? It’s not like they’re going to break out into ‘Hawkmoon 269’, ‘Seconds’, ‘The Refugee’ or ‘The Playboy Mansion’ for a few diehards, when this will be even less of a ‘U2 fan club’ gig than one of their normal gigs, not just with those of us in the field, but with granny up in Leeds who’s been reading disapproving stuff in the paper about ‘ole Bono redirecting his private jet to pick up his special hat or sunglasses or whatever. They'll put on a pleasingly safe show for her and others, and this will do wonders for U2’s legacy and a subsequent sudden blip of a chart re-entry for all of their ‘Best of’ albums the following week.

If we get “40” to finish things up, I’ll be extremely satisfied, but even that’s a reach. I'll be satisfied regardless just to have seen U2 play the Pyramid.

They are not known for over long sets like Springsteen though.. Usually its all packed up into 2hrs ish and the gigs last year had same lengths approximately each night.

May be up for correction here, but thats what happened at Sheffield and Cardiff last year, other UK dates were remarkably similar so I would guess a 10 min variation each way

Edited by drewsstrat

I echo what wooderson was saying earlier on about the technology setup driving their shows recently and as such, set lists, and their likely 'safe' approach to friday night in the big field. much less chance of too much improv’ing going on for the past decade or two. Gone are the days when they could do 2 nights at Wembley Stadium and do 2 entirely different sets, and just a ragged-looking cloth of a joshua tree as a backdrop.

They need to open with Mofo, simple as. Gone needs to be played, as does Discotheque. And the acoustic Staring at the Sun. Not one song from Pop on the last tour as a regular? Grow a pair of balls lads!

Also, Miss Sarajevo needs to be played. Maybe the best song I've ever seen live, up there with Life on Mars by Bowie, amazing. Serious lungs on Bono. The atmosphere of the Stadio Olympico in Rome probably added to it though!

The "remixed" versions of some of the Pop songs on the 1990-2000 was a total disgrace. George Lucas style.

Edited by The Nal

What will be interesting is what songs they will cover in snippets

I guess Joe Strummer could get a nod with 'rock the casbah'

Perhaps a Mccartney song (blackbird will be nice done before) , and a stones tune.. (they have done lots)

They may even tip the wink to their fellow artists doing glasto

They have done moon river (andy williams) I know a few times, but I don't know if there has been

any stevie or muse clips

Actually last year NY got a 2.5 hour slot allocated (but only played for 2hrs), and the boss was on for about 2 hours 40 mins...Given that the pyramid closing time has been shortened by 30 minutes, it'll be interesting to see whether they get a 9.30 or a 10pm start time. Other than that I agree with everything you've said! It'll be a safe set, 4-5 tracks from Horizon, the singles from the last few albums and then the earlier stuff that has featured heavily on the current tour (though the do throw the odd curveball into the mix at each show, Party Girl even got a couple of outings early on)...whatever happens it's going to be great.

Edit: really need to look at what I type! :P

I think Desire stripped down to start and then morphing to full a blown band version could be a great opener (for a change), and will prompt the first singalong rather than Breathe

It was only played 7 times on 360 tour (dublin had the pleasure)

The song I loved them doing as a duo in Cardiff (bono and the edge) was 'Stay' Fantastic

Edited by Wooderson

Abso-f*ckin'-lutely...but they won't. It'll be Breathe (which is a great opener anyway). I think I'd fall over if they started with I will Follow...So long as Unforgettable Fire stays in the set I'll be happy...I sang that for the whole way back from Croker last summer.

Oh, and the 30 minute earlier for the main stages is in a thread here somewhere about the new licence, along with the decibel increase. Paulo999's glastoearth page goes through the details....

Clicky

Can I just say, and I know it is "illegal" to like a hit song from a band but when this gets played I think it will be one of the best moments of my life if the crowd matches up to the crowd show on here. I don't really care wether anyone says "OMG your just gonna be there for Beautiful Day" cause usually it annoys me when people do that for bands but I just think this is going to be an epic moment.

I'm definately getting a space near the front.

Edited by BlackHole2006

Can I just say, and I know it is "illegal" to like a hit song from a band but when this gets played I think it will be one of the best moments of my life if the crowd matches up to the crowd show on here. I don't really care wether anyone says "OMG your just gonna be there for Beautiful Day" cause usually it annoys me when people do that for bands but I just think this is going to be an epic moment.

I'm definately getting a space near the front.

">