The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping for a greatest hits set. I used to absolutely despise U2 in the 80s (showing my age!) and for me they actually came of age with their zoo tv reinvention with achtung baby, however there are plenty of songs from their previous "windy middle of the road rock in waistcoats and hats" era that I'd be happy enough to hear, although I am not sure to this day whether I would be able to stomach sunday bloody sunday or with or without you.

I read that they wrote a song for the set last year, which sort of hints that they are happy to play stuff the crowd won't know, hope that that isn't an omen.

this could mean quite a drastically different setlist from what we were guessing about 12 months ago in our initial excitement for what we thought would be some of the most anticipated 120 mins on the pyramid. much less NLOTH (if any) this June you think, with the new record out? no "Breathe", a new opener?

someone today on the 'headliners' thread (jimmy t was it?) likened the u2 friday this year to having being promised a bicycle one year and then having being shattered at not receiving it, being told to wait another year when you know it's coming. i thought that was well put and I definitely feel that way a bit. Mind you, I am tremendously looking fwd to seeing them, but last year it was just on a higher level. It was just such a surprise that they were playing, and right in the aftermath of the great 2009 lineup, and then the 40th anniversary year, i just thought it was going to be something special. While i enjoyed 2010, not having them there really affected where I rank last year in terms of my few (5) Glastos.

Devastated by the lack of substance to the Prince and Stones rumours in the end. I think the only Coldplay gig i can/will have ever been able to enjoy was their 02 pyramid show. i loved the record that come out right after that gig, but i've just gone so off of them since, and can't imagine i'd want to be there on saturday night.

I don't tend to linger at the Pyramid during the day except for the occassional great back-to-back strings of sets (Jools/Jimmy Cliff --- Willie Nelson/Snoop Dogg for example), but i've always liked the idea that I can enjoy the whole site during the day and then at the end of each night, i can head to the pyramid knowing there's a legendary act to close things out, a set that might go down in rock history lore as something that had to be seen, something that makes my travel distance and cost worth it. this year it's a shame that it's looking like 1-out-of-3 for me.

Last year was my first Glastonbury, and my first real chance of ever seeing U2. They are and probably always will be my favourite band, as my mum put it the other day, other kids were brought up listening to nursery rhymes, I was brought up listening to U2. I'm not some crazed fanatic who claims everything they've ever made is amazing, and I agree with many that Bono is a bit of a prick, but this Glastonbury set is probably the only oppurtunity I'll get to see a greatest hits set.

I was ecstatic when they were announced last year and crushed when they pulled out, I even considered not going for a brief moment (imagine if I hadn't, would've been my biggest mistake ever!) But it's safe to say I am even more excited than ever to see them this year.

And despite this being the one chance we'll all probably get to hear some of the less popular songs all I could ever ask is that they play Stay (Faraway, So Close!) and Bad!

Please please please Bono

I was ecstatic when they were announced last year and crushed when they pulled out, I even considered not going for a brief moment (imagine if I hadn't, would've been my biggest mistake ever!) But it's safe to say I am even more excited than ever to see them this year.

this could mean quite a drastically different setlist from what we were guessing about 12 months ago in our initial excitement for what we thought would be some of the most anticipated 120 mins on the pyramid. much less NLOTH (if any) this June you think, with the new record out? no "Breathe", a new opener?

someone today on the 'headliners' thread (jimmy t was it?) likened the u2 friday this year to having being promised a bicycle one year and then having being shattered at not receiving it, being told to wait another year when you know it's coming. i thought that was well put and I definitely feel that way a bit. Mind you, I am tremendously looking fwd to seeing them, but last year it was just on a higher level. It was just such a surprise that they were playing, and right in the aftermath of the great 2009 lineup, and then the 40th anniversary year, i just thought it was going to be something special. While i enjoyed 2010, not having them there really affected where I rank last year in terms of my few (5) Glastos.

Devastated by the lack of substance to the Prince and Stones rumours in the end. I think the only Coldplay gig i can/will have ever been able to enjoy was their 02 pyramid show. i loved the record that come out right after that gig, but i've just gone so off of them since, and can't imagine i'd want to be there on saturday night.

I don't tend to linger at the Pyramid during the day except for the occassional great back-to-back strings of sets (Jools/Jimmy Cliff --- Willie Nelson/Snoop Dogg for example), but i've always liked the idea that I can enjoy the whole site during the day and then at the end of each night, i can head to the pyramid knowing there's a legendary act to close things out, a set that might go down in rock history lore as something that had to be seen, something that makes my travel distance and cost worth it. this year it's a shame that it's looking like 1-out-of-3 for me.

cheers, mate. and i just saw your bit about leaving the pyramid to the youngsters this year after friday, which was good.I've always wanted to catch a good nighttime headline performance up at The Park. maybe this year on the sunday...

as for last year, i think we all were looking forward to U2, but when we saw the final lineup we were a bit disappointed at the rest of it, especially the saturday, and Dizzee on before U2. so, that, and then Bono's accident...it just took a lot out of me. still, as always it was a truly fab weekend. and just because it ranks 'low' as my 3rd most enjoyable Glastonbury out of 5 doesn't take away that such a ranking still puts it up there with one of my best 20-25 weekends ever.

I'm liking the idea of an Arcade Fire before U2, even though I haven't read anything that puts a lot of substance behind that being a firm 'SR' candidate, and seems just a guess...but perhaps i've missed something.

As soon as U2 stop playing new songs on tour they are dead as a band. Same for any of the old warhorses still out there after 30 years. The new stuff keeps them going - even if it isnt even close to their finest work. You'll always find some gems littered amongst the chaff though. "In a Little While" and "Breathe" would certainly grace the Pyramid stage at GF with gusto.

I think a show made up entirely of "hits" would be a colourless tiresome bore. I find this concept of "I hope U2 play a greatest hits set" mildly annoying to be honest.

nail, head, hit.

only band im disappointed about not seeing

but i shall be bouncing off the wall's even if auntie only show bits

its a guarantee the WTSHNN, will be, a stand out, eternity moment for all those lucky enough to see it

dont the haters get you down bruv ;)

I'll be very happy with Beyonce, Coldplay, U2 as headliners because a lot of people who will enjoy them. Equally there will be many who won't.

But we shouldn't forget there are other stages and if you can't find something else on a different stage when a band you're not interested in is playing The Pyramid then you've got real problems.

For that reason I see no point in having knocking threads and I'm pleased that this is turning into a fairly positive discussion.

I love clips that cheer up those looking forward to seeing a band and perhaps give some idea of what they are like to those who perhaps haven't encountered them before.

My personal delight would be if BB King was able to join U2 if only for one number in addition to him doing his own set on Jazzworld (sorry I can't bring myself to call it West Holts).

Edited by grumpyhack

Whenever I say I hope they do a greatest hits set, all I really mean is "I hope they play all my personal favourite songs". Obviously I dont mean I hope they just play all their famous top10 hits.

A minor gripe: I really wish they were playing sunday. Let the anticipation nicely build up during the course of the whole festival. I really think that added to the whole sensational blur experience. Steve was a marvellous end also. Some bands just HAVE to close the festival. I am not a fan of the pyramid stage, but ending the festival in that big field watching a legendary set really are the greatest moments of ones life. I cant put into words my feelings when the opening notes of "the universal" kicked in the other year for example. Momentous times.

Beyonce closing the show for 2 years? f**k that. In the words of that ancient philosopher N Gallagher "No chance, I'm not having that".

Whenever I say I hope they do a greatest hits set, all I really mean is "I hope they play all my personal favourite songs". Obviously I dont mean I hope they just play all their famous top10 hits.

A minor gripe: I really wish they were playing sunday. Let the anticipation nicely build up during the course of the whole festival. I really think that added to the whole sensational blur experience. Steve was a marvellous end also. Some bands just HAVE to close the festival. I am not a fan of the pyramid stage, but ending the festival in that big field watching a legendary set really are the greatest moments of ones life. I cant put into words my feelings when the opening notes of "the universal" kicked in the other year for example. Momentous times.

Beyonce closing the show for 2 years? f**k that. In the words of that ancient philosopher N Gallagher "No chance, I'm not having that".