The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you though? When I go see someone I look for one or two gems. "Trimm Trabb" for example at Blur was a fist-in-the-air moment. No one can get all their faves at a Glasto show. If youre that into a band then you need to get out and see them more. ;)

Take your explanation on board though. My point is that joe-punter with his arms folded can f*ck right off if he is not willing to back a band when they are trying to put on a show.

We've debated this ad nauseum. Blur in 2009 was a moment in time that probably won't be matched. To even attempt it is folly. Stevie last year is a more reasonable comparison - for some the chance to sing along with Beyoncé will be just as joyous and liberating an experience in the coming months. Just not you or I, Russ. Let them have their shindig. Beyoncé puts considerable heart into her performance ... she is gonna do the place justice. ;)

I for one relish the chance to go on a mad wander on Sunday this year though. Soak up the last night vibes. Being stuck in front of the Pyramid and the associated crowds is getting tiresome.

Beyoncé is more than capable of closing the show chief. The woman was born to do it. She'd kick Noelly G's skinny ass up and down that hill.

As I said above, it ain't yer thang, nor mine, but theres no doubt that one of the most anticipated shows of 2011 anywhere is Ms Knowles on that Pyramid in June.

oof was the la's that year too?

I remember thinking "bah I bet the monkey head doesnt do any roses stuff at all just to wind us up.....hang on....isnt that I wanna be adored???" <pushes to the front> then the opening to sally cinnamon kicked in, followed by made of stone, then waterfall was it? And as you say, all topped off with FEAR.

Christ that was sensational. His voice was decent that night.

Edited by russycarps

oof was the la's that year too?

I remember thinking "bah I bet the monkey head doesnt do any roses stuff at all just to wind us up.....hang on....isnt that I wanna be adored???" <pushes to the front> then the opening to sally cinnamon kicked in, followed by made of stone, then waterfall was it? And as you say, all topped off with FEAR.

Christ that was sensational. His voice was decent that night.

Guest blackcockerel

I was astounded by Ian Brown's Stone Roses stuff that night. I only saw them by accident, after thinking he was terrible at Leeds festival a few years beforehand. A great end to the festival.

Whenever I say I hope they do a greatest hits set, all I really mean is "I hope they play all my personal favourite songs". Obviously I dont mean I hope they just play all their famous top10 hits.

A minor gripe: I really wish they were playing sunday. Let the anticipation nicely build up during the course of the whole festival. I really think that added to the whole sensational blur experience. Steve was a marvellous end also. Some bands just HAVE to close the festival. I am not a fan of the pyramid stage, but ending the festival in that big field watching a legendary set really are the greatest moments of ones life. I cant put into words my feelings when the opening notes of "the universal" kicked in the other year for example. Momentous times.

Beyonce closing the show for 2 years? f**k that. In the words of that ancient philosopher N Gallagher "No chance, I'm not having that".

Whilst I can see his point about "folk music" and I understand that principles of free speech should allow people to express their views, I can't see how using a song with those lyrics for anything, lest of all for the promotion of a "Youth Movement", can lead to anything other than trouble. Personally, no matter how sympathetic I feel towards the cause, songs that glorify violence towards others make me feel a little sick. If Ireland united would Bono think it was OK to use songs that encouraged the murder of protestants? I'd like to think not.

Set list from Johannesburg 1

Venue: FNB Stadium

Opening Act(s): Amadou & Mariam, Springbok Nude Girls

Main Set: Beautiful Day, I Will Follow, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until the End of the World, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, North Star, Pride, In A Little While, Miss Sarajevo, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy (remix), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s): One, Amazing Grace - Where the Streets Have No Name, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender