The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally dont really no much about u2, id say vertigo is their only tune i like and i can handle beautiful day if its sunny!

But yeah thought id have a look and those slane castle videos looked bloody good, dont see that many people jumping like that very often. Only thing that offputs me is when bono does his long shouty solo thing that id expect more from mariah carey.

Mexico Mexico Mexico City - How did you get so high? (f**k knows why but that makes me cry every time)

This U2 at Glasto malarky better be good considering I didn't have a ticket a couple of hours ago after Seetickets had cancelled a WHOLE order instead of just ONE ticket on the order!!

I need a vodka!!

mustache-the-edge.gif

Favourite moment on record from "Mr. The Edge (to you)"?

I would be hard pressed to pick a winner from "Achtung Baby". Is it poor form for me to say "Mysterious Ways" for example? Hipsters of course will say "Bullet The Blue Sky" or something off the "War" album. (:lol: ) If they were able to perform it right i think "Pride" would be the clear winner of course.

But what say you Glastonians? What is your fave moment from Monkstown's mosts famous moustaschioed soul brother?

N.B. Colin Hunt's making winsome references to the Bill Bailey sketch. Its been done at least 3 times in this thread already.

;)

Edited by Toilet Duck

To be honest, I didn't know anything about it until I got home from work - by which time my fantastic mate had sorted it out for me!!

Long story short - 4 tickets on one order. The lead name on the booking now can't go so called up to cancel her ticket except all tickets got cancelled. My other mate was alerted to this because it was her card used to pay and her email address on the order despite her not having one of the tickets... Confused?? Seetickets certainly were! Ha!!! Ticket day was basically that much of a clusterf**k that card details and emails were flying everywhere and about 15 of us have tickets going God knows where!!!!

A couple of hairy hours later and she finally got it sorted

I have a headache just thinking about how stressed she must have been trying to sort it!!

Bonosbaby - I owe you big time chick!! xxx

Think Tone Blairo on here is a closet "End of the World" fan. It _does_ sound brill in this clip mate!!! And as for "Bad". Jesus. The soundtrack to this broken nation of ours right now.

"If I could, you know I would

If I could, I would let it go, this desperation, dislocation

Separation, condemnation, revelation

In temptation, isolation, desolation

Let it go and so fade away, to let it go

Oh yeah and so fade away, to let it go, oh no

And so to fade away, I'm wide awake, I'm wide awake

Wide awake, I'm not sleeping, oh no, no, no"

:(

I would love it if U2 put something on offer similar to Muse last year, a poll on their website of what songs people want in their set for glasto. If they did that I would sit there for hours just clicking Bad and Stay (Faraway, So Close!) over and over until they were top of the poll B)

The risk is they play too safe and end playing loads of stuff like Elevation, Vertigo, and Get on your Boots....And cut stuff like Bad, Ultaviolet and Unforgettable Fire, thinking that the general public don't know the fans favourites..This would be a travesty...

Edited by danbailey80

The risk is they play too safe and end playing loads of stuff like Elevation, Vertigo, and Get on your Boots....And cut stuff like Bad, Ultaviolet and Unforgettable Fire, thinking that the general public don't know the fans favourites..This would be a travesty...

Brilliant post from the Glasto thread on Interference. He starts of talking about U2 opening with "Where the streets have no name" - traditionally a biggie for later in the gig.

"That’s exactly why they were going to open with it. It’s about attitude. There was a huge sneering attitude toward U2 playing Glastonbury. And it was all setting them up so that it was about proving themselves. Are they even relevant to this kind of crowd anymore? Can they win them over? First festival for U2 in 25 years. Why? Why now? Trying desperately to regain something? Are they just using Glastonbury, trying desperately to look relevant and cool? Can they even put on a decent show without all of the mega-show theatrics anymore? What does Bono want from us? What did we ever do to him?

So what would have been the point of opening with Streets? f**k you, here’s our best song, here’s what you all thought would be our highlight, our best live number, the ‘moment’, what you thought was the only weapon we have, the stadium mega-anthem. And we’re opening with it. So, again, f**k you, that was Streets. Done. Now lets get on with it.

Brilliant.

But, having said that, I don’t think they’ll open with it this time. I was at Glastonbury last year, and there really was that very sneering attitude about U2 all the way from announcement on, then the celebratory reaction to them canceling, which was definitely there at the festival. Lots of signs and flags and t-shirts and banter all bagging U2, and bagging Bono. Thank christ they cancelled! was the general feeling, the comments you heard everywhere. But when the Gorillaz failed to deliver to mainstage headline level, you could sense there was a bit of regret. There was actually a rousing singalong to With or Without You being played over the PA just before the Gorillaz came out – 150,000 very very loud on the woah-oh-oh-oh’s, and when the song ended, everyone spontaneously cheered. I thought at the time, now you little shits understand. Talk around the place shifted a bit the next day. Then the following night when Muse busted out Streets with Edge and in the process brought the house down, the change of heart was open and everywhere. Actually, U2 would have been kind of awesome, it’s a bit of a shame they weren’t here.

U2 last year would have been walking into a hornets nest. Their performance, in a way, would have been an aggressive argument with the crowd. f**k you, we’re good enough, we’re worthy. That feeling, I think has passed, and this time it will be a lot more celebratory. That + Streets by Muse/Edge was universally regarded as one of the singular highlights of all of last years festival, meaning that this time it will be something people are genuinely looking forward to, not something that is just an expectation, or a framing, that U2 should break from.

I don’t think they’ll open with it. I think it will be back in it’s regular type of spot. I wouldn’t be surprised actually if its right at the end. Finish on Streets/WOWY. Leave the place at the peak of the mountain, no MOS, Love Is Blindness type neat ‘closer’. One, WOWY, or perhaps All I Want is You will close it out. BIG singalong, with WOWY and AIWIY being good candidates because they leave the crowd singing at the end of both. I think that’s how they’ll leave – crowd still singing (and not 40, which is just a U2 fan thing - one of the big songs.) I reckon now they’ll open with with a straight rock punch, maybe Vertigo, or I Will Follow just to make a statement. And the set will be punch after punch after punch. Never let the crowd go quiet. No bullshit. Nothing rare or left field. Punch, punch, punch, punch - for two and a half hours."

:)

Yep.

I don't know why the guy on the U2 forum is trying to claim there was any kind of widespread anti-U2 sentiment. It just wasn't there at the Festival. Unless you count The Temple of the Blessed Bono which was both affectionate and tongue in cheek - I suspect the man himself would've got the joke.

There was most certainly some moaning on message boards beforehand - just as there was moaning on U2 forums about them playing a festival. But there's probably been internet complainants about every headliner for the last 10 years and U2 were a long, long way from getting the worst flack. Either way, it didn't go any further than that.