The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed although NLOTH was not their greatest offering it still had some good work and after afew listens it did kind of grow on me (It was one of the albums I listened to alot whilst travelling round Vietnam so always brings back great memories) BUT their stuff is always going to compared with the Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby stuff which were both awesome albums.

For me I think they have to open with an anthem to whip the whole crowd up.. maybe Where the Streets or The Fly. I do hope they chuck in Hold Me Thrill Me as would love to hear that live.

I like others cannot wait to see them- so many fantastic songs that will make it a special special experience.

They are probably my favourite band who I've seen live 8 times over the years- 1st gis I ever went to was a U2 one in 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour at the SECC in Glasgow and saw them again in Edinburgh at Murrayfield a few days after that. Also seen them in 1997 at Roundhay Park in Leeds (PopMart tour), 2001 at Birmingham on Elevation tour, 2005 Vertigo tour at Manchester & Twickenham, 2009 360 tour at Wembley & Sheffield.

Hmmmm.

I'm not a fan but like lots of people have been saying I thought oh for sure we'll go see U2 just for the experience, bound to be a mental show, lots of songs I recognise, crowd will be buzzing, blah de blah

I've got them on my Glastonbury spotify list and every time a song comes on I'm just meh. No offence to people who like them but they leave me cold. So now I'm questioning whether we bother or not and waiting to see who else is playing. I think I'm buying into that oh you had to be there for their Glastonbury slot thing <_< .

For me I absolutely despised them circa joshua tree/rattle and hum. They represented the kind of band that were adored by absolute w*nkers, producing dreary self-important nonsense that, frankly, put them in the same bracket as simple minds for me.

However achtung baby proved that they were something more than their peers and I was genuinely impressed, furthermore this inspired me to be a little more forgiving towards their back catalogue and I can now bring myself to say the words "there are 2 or 3 alright songs on the joshua tree". Since then they have turned out a few good singles, imo, although now they remind me of REM's later career: a series of albums that seem weak on first listens but years later you may come back to and truly appreciate if you are a fan.

I am torn at the moment over whether to get over my life long distaste for their jangly nonsense years and join what will, I'm sure be a great atmosphere in a crowd who are really up for it, or go and see primal scream, a band I have truly loved for years.

Edge: Tour Probably Ending in July, U2 Album After That

Posted: March 25, 2011

By: Liseth Meijer / Matt McGee

In a short interview broadcast today on Irish radio station Phantom, Edge talked about the band's plans for a new album, the rest of the 360 tour, and more -- and U2 fans probably won't be too thrilled with what he had to say.

Edge on the U2 360 Tour's Future

Although rumors have been circulating of new dates in Europe later this year, Edge said he thinks that's probably not gonna happen.

"I think we're probably gonna pack up the U2 claw after the American shows. I doubt if -- but you can never say never. But right now, if you wanted my opinion, I'd say that that will be the end."

Edge on U2's Next Album

The different projects the band is working on are all still alive, and the band isn't ready yet to commit to one particular direction. They'll probably decide on what kind of album to make and resume working on new material after the tour concludes.

"Bono's been talking about different projects and they're all still kind of alive. We're not ready to commit to one particular direction, but we've so much new material. And when the dust settles and we're off the road, I think we're gonna give ourselves a couple weeks and sit back and figure it all out and decide which way we're gonna go." Later he adds, "We're enjoying that moment where things haven't fully come into focus and we could take it in a number of different directions."

Edge also mentioned the band will probably change the set list a bit for their performance in Glastonbury and have "a few little extras, but nothing like the 360 stage."

Edge taped the interview last week while he was still in New York City. You can listen yourself on Phantom.ie's website.

Some none famous U2 songs that are wonderful

My opinion - if you aren't keen about U2- don't go..

Setlist from last night:

Elevation

Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / I Want To Know What Love Is (snippet)

One Tree Hill

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

In A Little While

Miss Sarajevo

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Two Tribes (snippet)

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Scarlet

Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

One, Mothers Of The Disappeared (snippet)

Where The Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet)

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You

Moment of Surrender

f**king hell: ONE TREE HILL..amazing tune..

Edited by danbailey80

That's some mighty fine a-pickin' & a-singin' from the lads.

From Until the End of the World -> Miss Sarejevo is pretty feckin incredible.

Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet)

I Will Follow

Get On Your Boots

Magnificent

Mysterious Ways

Elevation

Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / I Want To Know What Love Is (snippet)

One Tree Hill

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

In A Little While

Miss Sarajevo

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

Crazy Tonight / Two Tribes (snippet)

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Scarlet

Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):

One

Mothers Of The Disappeared (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet)

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You

Moment of Surrender

Again the segment from until the end of the world til miss sarajevo is brilliance. Is it likely they'll close with moment of surrender at glastonbury? Great song and I'd love to see it in the set, maybe it's just me but I'd rather they close with a massive hit or one of their best tunes (probably just me hoping for bad or 40)

Again the segment from until the end of the world til miss sarajevo is brilliance. Is it likely they'll close with moment of surrender at glastonbury? Great song and I'd love to see it in the set, maybe it's just me but I'd rather they close with a massive hit or one of their best tunes (probably just me hoping for bad or 40)

I really think that if they finish with Moment of Surrender it will be a missed opportunity and a very silly choice..yes it's a good song and fine during the set but they have to finish on a big, sing along one. If they finish with WIth or Without You, the big aaah, aaaah, aaah , aaaaah bits will be sung back by the crowd after they've finished etc...you can picture it..That or One would be perfect...

I REALLY BELIEVE AND HOPE THEY WILL HAVE THE SENSE NOT TO FINISH WITH MOMENT OF SURRENDER.

Venue: Unico Stadium

Opening Act(s): Muse

Main Set: Even Better Than the Real Thing, I Will Follow, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until the End of the World, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Happy Birthday, North Star, Beautiful Day - Blackbird, In a Little While, Miss Sarajevo, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo - Teenage Kicks, I'll Go Crazy (remix), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s): One, Mothers of the Disappeared - Where the Streets Have No Name, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender