The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

In all the excitement of getting a ticket, it's only just hit me reading this thread that not only am I going to Glastonbury but I'm going to see fecking U2 there as well!

Still one of the greatest moments from the many gigs I've been to over the years was during a U2 show at the Manchester MEN in 2001 (I think).

They played BAD and it faded out into 40 and then as the crowd sang "How long to sing this song" the into to Where the Streets Have No Name kicked in. Just brilliant.

Then again, I've also just realised that it's 22 years since I last saw them perform with BB King in Paris. So my excitement is somewhat tinged with a sudden feeling of old age.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd forgotten she was support. Suffice to say, I didn't bother.

Just out of curiosity, do you go to every U2 show? :D

I've seen them four times, which where you at...

Liverpool Royal Court - 1983ish

Paris Omnisport De Bercy - 1989

Leeds Roundhay Part - God knows when, Zooropa tour

Manchester MEN - 11th August 2001 20:30

I'd forgotten she was support. Suffice to say, I didn't bother.

Just out of curiosity, do you go to every U2 show? :D

I've seen them four times, which where you at...

Liverpool Royal Court - 1983ish

Paris Omnisport De Bercy - 1989

Leeds Roundhay Part - God knows when, Zooropa tour

Manchester MEN - 11th August 2001 20:30

I wouldn't say I'm their biggest fan but they've always been incredibly consistent and they have a massive line of hits. I was chuffed to see them on the line up as there isn't a bigger band in the world. They are the ultimate headline act and are made for places like Glastonbury. You simply have to watch them as they will completely command the place and deliver, because that's what U2 do.

Also, U2's record sales as in 1994.

136 million copies sold!

Boy 3 million

October 3 million

War 8 million

UABRS 8 million

Unforgettable Fire 8 million

WAIA 3 million

Joshua Tree 27 million+

Rattle And Hum 13 million

Achtung Baby 17 million

Zooropa 7 million

POP 6 million

Best Of 1980-1990 15 million

ATYCLB 12 million

Best of 1990-2000 6 million

Edited by essex_jim

*Geek alert*

I'm going to sound like a right muppet for asking this, but does it have a catalogue number on it? I've just been looking through our list of junk - I mean valued U2 collection rolleyes.gif and can't decide whether we've already got it or not and I can't be doing with having to go and root through boxes and boxes of stuff in the loft!

I really should think about putting more of our stuff on ebay and paying some credit card bills off!! unsure.gif

as teh as the weeks draw closer i am becoming more and more enthused by U2, and really believe that it is going to be and absolute belter of a set, and that it will be a were you there ones, its like ive grown up with there music and sometimes not realised its there.

Oh and 1000th post on this thread :P:D

Adam Hints at Zoo TV / PopMart Theme for Glastonbury

Posted: April 22, 2011

By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

Adam is dropping hints that U2 is planning a 1990s / Zoo TV / PopMart theme for at least some of its upcoming performance at Glastonbury. In an interview in the new edition of Q magazine, Adam answers a number of short questions about U2's first Glastonbury performance, including this telling exchange:

Q: What can we expect from your show?

Adam: It's very un-Glastonbury to have a big production, but we will be sneaking a few things in through the back gate which will hopefully make the experience a little more like Glastonbury on steroids.

You'll have a job sneaking the U2 360 "Claw" in...

That might be tricky. But we're stretching the levels of what can be done. We hope to create a mind-blowing experience that reacts well with all the other substances involved.

How will you do that?

We want to go back to our '90s work that plays into a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that.

U2 will make its first Glastonbury appearance as a full band on June 24th. They were due to perform last year, but had to cancel after Bono's back injury.

9 shows played so far in 2011. Songs played:

Song Play Count

Until The End Of The World 9

With Or Without You 9

I Still Haven't Found... 9

Moment of Surrender 9

Miss Sarajevo 9

City Of Blinding Lights 9

Vertigo 9

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't... 9

Sunday Bloody Sunday 9

Beautiful Day 9

Scarlet 9

Walk On 9

Get On Your Boots 9

One 9

Where The Streets... 9

Mysterious Ways 9

Elevation 9

Magnificent 8

In A Little While 7

I Will Follow 7

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me 7

Even Better Than... 6

Pride (In The Name Of Love) 6

North Star 4

Stuck In A Moment 2

Ultraviolet (Light My Way) 2

Zooropa 2

Stand By Me 1

Return Of The Stingray... 1

Sólo le pido a Dios 1

Bad 1

New Year's Day 1

One Tree Hill 1

Out Of Control 1

The Model 1

The following songs will be played at U2's Glasto set, no doubt about it:

Beautiful Day

Elevation

Vertigo

City of Blinding Lights

Where The Streets Have No Name

Get On Your Boots

I Will Follow

One

Mysterious Ways

Even Better Than The Real Thing

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

With Or Without You

Sunday Bloody Sunday

The following songs SHOULD be played to create an Unforgettable experience:

Discotheque

The Fly

Mofo

Gone

Bad

The Unforgettable Fire

A Sort of Homecoming

All Because Of You

Out of Control

Desire (Full band)

Two Hearts Beat As One

No Line On The Horizon

Adam Hints at Zoo TV / PopMart Theme for Glastonbury

Posted: April 22, 2011

By: Matt McGee / @mattmcgee

Adam is dropping hints that U2 is planning a 1990s / Zoo TV / PopMart theme for at least some of its upcoming performance at Glastonbury. In an interview in the new edition of Q magazine, Adam answers a number of short questions about U2's first Glastonbury performance, including this telling exchange:

Q: What can we expect from your show?

Adam: It's very un-Glastonbury to have a big production, but we will be sneaking a few things in through the back gate which will hopefully make the experience a little more like Glastonbury on steroids.

You'll have a job sneaking the U2 360 "Claw" in...

That might be tricky. But we're stretching the levels of what can be done. We hope to create a mind-blowing experience that reacts well with all the other substances involved.

How will you do that?

We want to go back to our '90s work that plays into a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that.

U2 will make its first Glastonbury appearance as a full band on June 24th. They were due to perform last year, but had to cancel after Bono's back injury.

How will you do that?

The following songs will be played at U2's Glasto set, no doubt about it:

Beautiful Day

Elevation

Vertigo

City of Blinding Lights

Where The Streets Have No Name

Get On Your Boots

I Will Follow

One

Mysterious Ways

Even Better Than The Real Thing

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

With Or Without You

Sunday Bloody Sunday

The following songs SHOULD be played to create an Unforgettable experience:

Discotheque

The Fly

Mofo

Gone

Bad

The Unforgettable Fire

A Sort of Homecoming

All Because Of You

Out of Control

Desire (Full band)

Two Hearts Beat As One

No Line On The Horizon

The version of Where is the Love they did with the BEP at the rock n roll hall of fame is the worst thing I've ever seen from U2. Miles worse than the collab with Mick later in the show. And that was a stinkbomb.