The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

A lot of the above setlist guesses will be very close (except the dude with only one post-1989 song!) but they're too close to the 360 running order. They'll almost certainly shake that up, even if 95% of the songs are the same. So much of that is down to staging and theatrics.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the above setlist guesses will be very close (except the dude with only one post-1989 song!) but they're too close to the 360 running order. They'll almost certainly shake that up, even if 95% of the songs are the same. So much of that is down to staging and theatrics.

Just the running order, not the songs.

- Partly, as I said, staging and theatrics play a large part in determining the 360 set order. Without that stage, some of those songs that seem locked in certain positions on 360 won't have to be, so may well not be.

- Different gig/different crowd = different flow of up/down, gentle/energy, lesser known/monster hits.

- If nothing else, I think they'll want to differentiate it from 'just another night on 360.'

- Last year (when they were still on for 2010) someone from the band, can't remember who, said that what they were going to do at Glastonbury would be very different to 360 (as it was at the time), and although I think they're very close now in terms of song selection, I still think it will be quite different in terms of, well, vibe.

- It *is* a very different gig, with a different audience, and with different aims. U2 gigs are home games, and Glastonbury is their first 'away' fixture in over 25 years. The setlist order will be built somewhat differently because of that.

ya know.. I'm really a little annoyed right now.. people who have been going to Glasto year in, year out.. haven't got tickets this time around.. and I know of people who are only going to see U2 and then leaving.. what a complete waste of a ticket.. not cool at all.. I'm a U2 fan, who's been to the last 5 Glastonburys.. I knew this would happen. just hope that it won't spoil the whole Vibe of Glastonbury.. I know that the site will be less packed on saturday :(

ya know.. I'm really a little annoyed right now.. people who have been going to Glasto year in, year out.. haven't got tickets this time around.. and I know of people who are only going to see U2 and then leaving.. what a complete waste of a ticket.. not cool at all.. I'm a U2 fan, who's been to the last 5 Glastonburys.. I knew this would happen. just hope that it won't spoil the whole Vibe of Glastonbury.. I know that the site will be less packed on saturday :(

Demand this year was unbelievably high which in no doubt was down to U2. However I'm not sure that would've been just down to the die hards. I reckon a lot of randomers were curious to see U2 and thought there's no better opportunity than to do it at Glasto. That and the fact that Coldplay and Beyonce are massive draws.

I had a dream last night that they will play Love is Blindness. AND a live version of that song came up on my ipod this morning when it was on shuffle.

Coupled with that article where they said they will play heavily from achtung then I cant see this not happening.

I've just put my mortgage on it

I had a dream last night that they will play Love is Blindness. AND a live version of that song came up on my ipod this morning when it was on shuffle.

Coupled with that article where they said they will play heavily from achtung then I cant see this not happening.

I've just put my mortgage on it

Edited by danbailey80

I really dont think they will change much from the running order of the 360 setlist. U2 are known to be perfectionists when it comes to live shows, so they wont take massive risks on an individual show.

As you can see from recent gigs in Mexico and Brazil, they have been moving the setlist more into a greatest hits like show anyway, so i see these gigs as tests for Glastonbury.

Im not sure Zooropa will be in the Glastonbury set list... id love it to be its one of my favourite U2 tracks and its a rarity played live, but it more of a album track, than a 'greatest hits' I see this being moved in favour for the Fly being introduced somewhere else in the setlist (perhaps the encore as they used to do on the Tour before 360).

I think we will be looking at:

Even Better Than The Real Thing

I Will Follow

New Year's Day

Get On Your Boots

Magnificent

Mysterious Ways

Elevation

Still Havent Found What im Looking for

(maybe Stay, Far away so Close)

Until The End Of The World

Beautiful Day

Unforgettable Fire

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Bad

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

ENCORE

One

Where The Streets Have No Name

ENCORE 2

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

The Fly

With Or Without You

Moment Of Surrender

Personally I think they should ditch one or two of Get on Your Boots, Vertigo, Elevation or Beautiful Day. They have been played to death, and could be replaced with better tracks, but dont see them being left out of the glasto setlist as they are more commercial and crowd pleasers to non U2 fans.

Im sure Glastonbury will be in there too... not sure where... not sure i want to hear it, the snippets ive heard doesnt make it sound that great tbh.

Edited by opencube

Im not sure Zooropa will be in the Glastonbury set list... id love it to be its one of my favourite U2 tracks and its a rarity played live, but it more of a album track, than a 'greatest hits' I see this being moved in favour for the Fly being introduced somewhere else in the setlist (perhaps the encore as they used to do on the Tour before 360).

I hope the Crazy Remix doesn't make it, but I suspect it will. So much of it on 360 is based on all four band members 'roaming' around the ramps, and the effect of turning the Claw into a club, and that kind of hides how repetitive and dull the song really is. On the Glastonbury stage they'd just be... standing there... with some flashing lights... whatever. On the plus side, in the last few shows they've been mixing it a little bit at the end with Discotheque, and have apparently soundchecked more of Discotheque. So maybe - hopefully - if they do the Crazy Remix, it will be more of a hybrid version with an extended Discotheque. That could be pretty cool.

Not going to happen, but personal choice would see these replacements:

Vertigo -> Mofo

Beautiful Day -> Kite

Elevation -> Discotheque

Magnificent -> Gone

One (never a fave of mine) -> Running To Stand Still

Get On Your Boots -> The Fly

Moment of Surrender -> All I Want Is You (Glastonbury)

I'd heard this and felt the same initially but then thought there will be the 'real' festival goers left afterwards, just with a bit more room to enjoy! Half of me thinks the stampede down there on the Wednesday, the over crowded camp sites, the queues for just about everything, leaving the site on the Monday etc etc are all part of the fun...but on the other hand!

Seriously, how many do you think will be going just for the U2 set and leave? I guess if you're a fanatic who's being following them round the world for years (and there are plenty of them!) Glastonbury would be a must see. You never know though, some of them may stick around and see what all the fuss is about!

I missed out on a ticket for my daughter's boyfriend despite trying everything in the resales btw so on reflection I will be really p*ssed off if turns out to be true!!

I'm not sure on numbers.. I only know there's some coming over from Europe JUST to see U2 and plan to be back in Italy, France and Switzerland by the saturday afternoon.. I saw a post on a facebook group I belong to asking about getting taxi's from the site after the U2 set and that really annoyed me last night, hence my post here.. I was trying to get tickets for friends who'd missed out in the general sale and the resale and wasn't successful, so to see that kinda made me mad.. I've chilled out a bit about it now, but I still reckon they should stay and have the best time in their lives.. sadly, they won't...