The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

Latest set

06/07/2011 Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum - Oakland, California, USA

Even Better Than The Real Thing

I Will Follow

Get On Your Boots

Magnificent

Mysterious Ways / Norwegian Wood (snippet)

Elevation

Until The End Of The World

All I Want Is You

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Beautiful Day / Space Oddity (snippet)

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Miss Sarajevo

Zooropa

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Life During Wartime (snippet) / Psycho Killer (snippet)

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Scarlet

Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

encores:

One, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet)

Where The Streets Have No Name

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You

Moment of Surrender

Good news: I think we can conclude that Stay and All I want is You will happen

Bad news: Hold me is a definite now, not Ultraviolet anymore

Concerns: Only 3 gigs to go and not had Bad for ages....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be shocked if they dont play Bad. It's a greatest hits set that will be going out live over BBC. They will play their best songs and pull out all of the stops.

As much as id love to see Pride, One and WOWU replaced, i understand that they would have to be included in a greatest hits set. But I just wish they'd bloody drop Walk On and throw in Running to Stand Still.

If only we had the power the dictate what's played on the night :)

"Look God, I gotta go... yeahaahm runnin'outtachange......

...there were a lot of things...

...I could not rearrange..."

Well over a year ago on this thread I buzzed with Ivan about U2 walking out on stage and Bono saying "Evening ya'll, we're U2. We've got two hours, we're gonna do all of Achtung Baby and all of Joshua Tree in a row. This is called Zoo Station."

We're not a million miles off the Achtung part with the number of tracks from this record potentially being lined. T-Blair gonna have a dirty great big grin on his face with that.

;)

I'd be shocked if they dont play Bad. It's a greatest hits set that will be going out live over BBC. They will play their best songs and pull out all of the stops.

As much as id love to see Pride, One and WOWU replaced, i understand that they would have to be included in a greatest hits set. But I just wish they'd bloody drop Walk On and throw in Running to Stand Still.

If only we had the power the dictate what's played on the night :)

Don't think you can use the recent show sets to predict what they'll do at Glastonbury, sounds like they are working hard on a specific idea/setlist.

Here is what Willie Williams posted in his diary on http://www.u2.com "We are in this theatre to go over the Glastonbury rehearsals we did a year ago. Given that we will arrive and leave from Glastonbury at high speed, it seemed like a good idea to put aside a couple of days to regroup and focus on the festival. Much has happened in the past year so we didn’t necessarily just want to re-run the 2010 plan and it’s impossible to think about these things in the rush of doing regular shows." and "The band came in and we began with a lengthy debate as to the merits of the various set list ideas. We did have a solid plan for last year but time moves on and songs have a life of their own so it seemed wiser to start from scratch. We talked, they played, we talked some more and the evening wore on"

The 360 set has changed a lot in the last year, and has become a far more Glastonbury-suitable setlist. I do think it will only be maybe 3-4 songs different, to squeeze in a few more of the big ones, and lose some (like Crazy Tonight) that are mostly there to play off the staging.

The 'classic' songs that they've been playing for decades don't usually get much rehearsal when they're added or returned to the set, even after a long absence. e.g. Having a look on U2gigs at when they added Bad in Australia, which was after not being played on 360 for months, it looks like its only 'rehearsal' was 'some bits and pieces' being played at one soundcheck about a week earlier in New Zealand. Then it went away for another four months before appearing again in Argentina, again unrehearsed.

Granted, this is a huge tv gig, but they've been playing Bad for 27 years and its not a complicated/tough song. I'd be pretty confident in them being able to drop it unrehearsed and still knock it out of the park. I still think it's a very good chance, even if it doesn't appear during or before these last three gigs.

U2 are the biggest band to have ever play the festival - I reckon I'm gonna knock the setlist geekery on the head and just look forward to it.

Has more than an average chance if being only the third or fourth "important" show I've seen at the festival.

Don't think you can use the recent show sets to predict what they'll do at Glastonbury, sounds like they are working hard on a specific idea/setlist.

Here is what Willie Williams posted in his diary on http://www.u2.com "We are in this theatre to go over the Glastonbury rehearsals we did a year ago. Given that we will arrive and leave from Glastonbury at high speed, it seemed like a good idea to put aside a couple of days to regroup and focus on the festival. Much has happened in the past year so we didn’t necessarily just want to re-run the 2010 plan and it’s impossible to think about these things in the rush of doing regular shows." and "The band came in and we began with a lengthy debate as to the merits of the various set list ideas. We did have a solid plan for last year but time moves on and songs have a life of their own so it seemed wiser to start from scratch. We talked, they played, we talked some more and the evening wore on"

I was listening to EBTTRT earlier On YouTube performed at their latest gig in Oakland. f**k that would be some start to their set at Glasto.

Just finished listening to Muse and The Edge from Glasto 2010. I'm not ashamed to say I nearly shed a tear with the excitement. f**kin geek.

Edited by Bobser