The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

I was really floored to hear One and Streets that early in the set. It totally worked for me. I'd seen the show the night before, and when they did that I knew all bets were off. It really made the show jump and feel edgy and unpredictable.

Between the two nights, last night was better. And I was thinking about all you at Glasto and said to myself that I thought that you'd all be very happy with last nights setlist.

Even the normally more laid back California crowd was moved to sing along a few times. I imagined it would be twice as loud next Friday!

I think you're all in for an epic show.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now know one song they will be playing on Friday.

Did anyone see the article about Aung San Suu Kyi in yesterday's Independent?

Today she is busy because she has agreed to meet me and two colleagues commissioned by the rock band U2 to shoot a short film for their world tour. By the time U2, who headline the Glastonbury Festival this Friday, finish their 3600 Tour next month, seven million people will have seen them play in 30 countries. If any are unfamiliar with Burma or its Nobel laureate, by the time the band perform their hit song "Walk On", written for her, they will know who she is and what she stands for. Many will sign up to join Amnesty International or the Free Burma Campaign.

When Aung San Suu Kyi's house arrest was lifted, it was Bono's idea secretly to shoot a film to promote the cause of the thousands of prisoners of conscience who remain in Burmese jails. Like something from a spy novel, a covert line of communication was set up, and after several false starts we flew into Thailand to fill our cameras with holiday shots for our "cover story". Securing tourist visas in Bangkok, we took off for Rangoon, where our mobiles no longer work, where emails are monitored and caution is advised in case "someone is watching".

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/aung-san-suu-kyi-a-triumph-of-the-spirit-2299748.html

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Im fully expecting something like this walkway, perhaps not circular, maybe just going staight to the back of the pit.

u2-42405.jpg?w=500&h=375

photo_042505_053.jpg?w=500&h=375

Im sure they'll also have a screen(s) of some sort. And a f**k off giant sized lemon they walk out of when, note the word "when", they play Discotheque!

Edited by The Nal

I think they'll definitely play the Pyramid Stage as the Pyramid Stage. Nothing that takes away from that, rather trying to extend it. Make it 'bigger', not different.

I would guess any staging extensions would only be to bridge the gap between stage and crowd (it is huge to a degree that probably does annoy a lot of acts up there) but I'm not sure about ramps/b-stage. I'm sure that's what they'd like - and it's pretty quick and easy to erect/dismantle - but in practice it might not really work at Glastonbury. It's not a p*** throwing, agro, challenging type of place, but Bono wandering out into the middle of the crowd might be a temptation too strong for many. :D

Lighting tricks definitely. Extra rigs off the stage, for sure. Maybe even one halfway down the field. Can see them maybe using the covering of the Pyramid as a sort-of canvas for lighting/projections. Can't really see anything else, no dramatic props and whatnot. I'm sure they'll have a fancy pants backdrop/video screen on the stage, but that's certainly nothing unique.

Eavis - "U2 are excited, especially after they couldn’t come last year. I first tried to book them 35 years ago. They are bringing their own stage with them. We're having to put a lot of stuff in for them but we’re so happy to have them."