Dr Martens

Guest Funkyfairy!

Last year I wore walking boots for most of the weekend, with wellies for the one or so muddy days

Today I bought my first ever pair of Dr Martens... are they waterproof, or what is the best way to waterproof them?

Here are my new DM's .... I adore them (lilac ones)

http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=13512530

Last year I wore walking boots for most of the weekend, with wellies for the one or so muddy days

Today I bought my first ever pair of Dr Martens... are they waterproof, or what is the best way to waterproof them?

Here are my new DM's .... I adore them (lilac ones)

http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=13512530

'Fraid not... I discovered this back in '97 when I spent three days with soggy wet feet. Not fun :P

Although of course - this year it's going to be sunny

They are not waterproof out of the box, but apply Nikwax or other similar waterproofer and you'll be be fine. Go investigate your options at your local camping shop.

Edited by simes

Mine were fine in 2005 until I had a few of over the top moment with the mud! I spent a lot of time drying socks out and actually had to buy some new ones in the end.

Like someone already said, it'll be dry this year anyway though :P

DMs have been my friends in the mud since 1995.

Obviously you don't wade through the wettest of the puddles, and obviously the odd drop will get through -- but they're comfortable and you won't get trench foot.

I love DMs and they are very comfortable and pretty durable. However, I never found them to be waterproof in any real wet conditions. Certainly compared to decent walking boots, they're not. Good advice above - avoid deep puddles and think about some goretex socks.

I'm trying out some Viper tactical boots this year, after a recommendation on a thread in here. Certainly comfortable, meant to be waterproof and breathable, but not got the style of DMs.

Good luck.

gallery_86051_958_43258.jpg

Ok Folks.. I Offered these up to FunkyFairy!

but they are the wrong size so here they go for next to nowt :P

Cost £70+VAT at Arco

These are brand new DM's'' I have tried them on and they seem too small for me (9ish).

Boxed as UK size 9 but I think they are size 8-8.5

Cost?.. Whatever you want to Water Aid.

Delivery? I'll carry them to the Cider Bus.. You pick them up there :P

Do you like the VW camper.. Probably as close as I will get to one Ha Ha

Edited by Madyokel

gallery_86051_958_43258.jpg

Cost £70+VAT at Arco

These are brand new DM's'' I have tried them on and they seem too small for me (9ish).

Cost £70+VAT at Arco

I wore these last year: http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/airseal_...ue/11859_p.html

Absolutely gorgeous, comfy and waterproof enough. I'm told that DMs are made abroad now and the quality has downgraded as a result, which is why I bought these beauties. This company actually had a stall at Glasto the last couple of years so go and try some on.

The only truly waterproof boots i.e. monsoon/deluge/2 ft of mud proof are either wellies or a really good pair of hiking boots like Chris Brasher, which I wore to every Glasto since '95 and they didn't leak once.

Happy shopping!

Have worn DM's to Glasto since 1994, and swear by them - for mainly dry years that is. They will tolerate sticky mud, but if they are wading through Glasto mud type 3b/649 (fluid clay), then they will begin to suffer. Ones to look for with the best tolerance for the wet are the natural brown leather ones which come with a tin of dubbin that you can use to keep the leather moist (they last longer that way), and provide more waterproofing.

I'm trying out some Viper tactical boots this year, after a recommendation on a thread in here. Certainly comfortable, meant to be waterproof and breathable, but not got the style of DMs.

Good luck.

I have a pair of 15 hole cherry reds that I wore from Wednesday to the Monday in 2004ish. It rained proper hard and they were absolutely fine except when water went over the top of them, but I managed to dry them out in the evenings.