2011 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

I've not said that there's a causal link between chart positions and headline status. I've specifically agreed with someone who said that correlation isn't causality. That's obvious - if it were the case that bands were booked solely on their sales figues we'd be looking at headliners of JLS, Take That and Lady Gaga.

I've said that the third variable which you would expect to have a causal relationship with both chart position and headline status is "size of band". A high album chart position in a bands career is good indicator that a band is big enough (or has been big enough) to headline Reading - provided they fit the more ovbious criteria of being appropriate for the festival.

The only real conclusion I've suggested that you can draw is that if a band hasn't had a high charting UK album in their career, then they won't headline Reading and Leeds in their current state.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does make L + R look bad if their headliners are subs at another no doubt. I think Nickleback would do well as a headliner, better than MCR anyway, Blur would be epic, but cant see it. Tbf Muse are awesome live and the strokes will def put on a good show.

Electric picnic is a week after and they announced some bands: Maybe some of these..

Pulp

The Chemical Brothers

Interpol

PJ Harvey

Beirut

Jimmy Cliff

DJ Shadow

White Lies

OMD

Midlake

The Charlatans

Big Audio Dynamite

The Go! Team

Boys Noize

Paul Kalkbrenner

Twin Shadow

Willy Mason

Trentemoller

Killing Joke

Ivan St. John

Dave Clarke

Caitlin Rose

HEALTH

Mogwai

O Emperor

Adam Beyer

The Danger is

Adebisi Shank.

Flying Lotus

Mundy

R.S.A.G.

CODES

The Walkmen

LYKKIE LI

Sharon Shannon

Chart position isnt the only indicator but it cant be ignored. If a band struggles to scrape into the top 40 on a regualr basis they are clearly far less to headline than a band who consitetly get top 3 albums. If you look at the top 10 albums elling bands in the last 10 years, I suspect they have all headlined festivals. Its certainly not the only factor but clearly a band who gets more medi coverage will generally sell more albums and concert tickets.

I was thinking more that it shows that there's a demographic somewhere who would be interested in seeing them play. If a band has had a number 1 album in their career then there is a large number of people who have their albums - and thus may be interested in seeing them play.

Obviously the greater in the past the high chart position, the less impact it has - but bands have generally supported their older chart topping positions with something more recent but still successful (excluding obviously those that have been on hiatus).

The comparison with Bobby Charlton is a silly one to make as his relevant ability (footballing skill) has declined with age whereas bands who have had past number ones and are invited to headline R&L have demonstrated that their relevant ability (ability to attract fans - illustrated through record sales) is still strong.

As for the current state bit - I'm referring to R&L in their current state (ie mainstream rock festivals) as opposed to what they were back in the early 90s or 80s.

It does make L + R look bad if their headliners are subs at another no doubt. I think Nickleback would do well as a headliner, better than MCR anyway, Blur would be epic, but cant see it. Tbf Muse are awesome live and the strokes will def put on a good show.

Arcade Fire had shown the ability to attract fans. Maybe not as many as most headliners, but they had had a #2 UK album, sold out 3 nights at a 9000 capacity venue in London and done an arena tour. It's not as if FR had thrown The National, Animal Collective or LCD Soundsystem out as headliners (bands with a similar critical response, but nowhere near the commercial success that AF had had) because they didn't have the commercial support to back it up.

I read these forums a lot but recently I’m seeing less and less reason to this thread is for the line-up for this year’s festival and yet the last three pages are an argument about how chart positions of albums sometimes indicates the headliners.

Surly the posts should be line up rumours with sources indicated so they can be checked by the rest of the community. If the post is just to say who you wish was playing there are other threads for that. Because at the moment the only reasonably safe bet is muse. We need more credible information.

I read these forums a lot but recently I’m seeing less and less reason to this thread is for the line-up for this year’s festival and yet the last three pages are an argument about how chart positions of albums sometimes indicates the headliners.

Surly the posts should be line up rumours with sources indicated so they can be checked by the rest of the community. If the post is just to say who you wish was playing there are other threads for that. Because at the moment the only reasonably safe bet is muse. We need more credible information.

I was looking at some old line ups and its amazing how many bands rumoured were playing in 2002. Which is good as 2002 was the best line up to a festival I never went to.

Strokes

Pulp (playing below strokes)

Muse

Feeder

The Steets

The Offspring

Jimmy Eat World

Just hope we get some of the other bands that played that year

Slipknot

Incubus

NoFX

Less Than Jake

reel Big Fish

Andrew wk:)

Edited by Leeds_Brett

Friday

Main:

Muse

My Chemical Romance

30 Seconds to Mars

Feeder

Sum 41

Good Charlotte

Funeral for a Friend

Fightstar

Taking Back Sunday

Anti Flag

NME:

Florence and the Machine

Jamie T

Friendly Fires

Saturday

Main:

The Strokes

Pulp

Elbow

Vampire Weekend

MGMT

The XX

Two Door Cinema Club

Bombay Bicycle Club

Los Campesinos!

NME:

Soundgarden

Them Crooked Vultures

Less Than Jake

Sunday

Main:

The Pixies

Smashing Pumpkins

Interpol

The Offspring

Jimmy Eat World

Death From Above 1979

Panic! at the Disco

Eagles of Death Metal

Mystery Jets

Kids in Glass Houses

NME:

Crystal Castles

Magnetic Man

Hadouken!

Not gonna trawl through all 49 pages to look but there are a few acts who I haven't really seen mentioned that I expect to see on the final line up. I know not everyone's cup of tea but i expect to see the majority of the following 'Indie Fodder' :

James Blake - NME

Noah and the Whale - Main/High NME

Dead Confederate - FR

The Whigs - FR/low NME

Hot club de paris - FR/low NME

Iron and Wine - mid NME

First Aid Kit- FR/NME

Johnny Flynn- FR/NME

Funeral Party - NME

Chapel Club - NME

Vaccines - NME

Toyko Police Club - NME