V Festival Are Big Bullies

Guest John Slater

Hey Guys,

So early last week i mentioned i was writing an article about how V Festival tried push me round and stop me from making an iPhone app.

A few people recommended i told the story of this just to prove a point and to shamelessly plug my festival app, i decided not to plug it, if you care enough you can easily find it.

The article can be found here... http://www.slaterjohn.com/v-festival-are-b...llies-b-70.html

I would very much like your input guys, it hasn't been published yet because i want some feedback. Thats in advanced

John Slater

Not having an iPhone, I can't download the app to have a look at it, so what information do you share on the app?

V Festival are particularly tetchy about sharing stage times, they never publish the stage times on the web in advance and, when people pub spreadsheets on here they apply their full force to get them taken down.

I've always assumed that it's to make sure they sell as many of thier (way) overpriced programmes on site as possible so I'm guessing that they're assuming that you're going to publish running times.

Someone who's more knowledgable than me on these things will know, what's the position with someone reusing content created by someone else but not making any money from it?

Not owning an iPhone, I do not know how the whole process works, but if this is not for profit, then why is there a 59p charge to download the app???? Do Apple cream all this cash for hosting it???

If as you say its a non profit app, then charge a £1 for it and donate the other 41p to a charity. I'm sure people wouldnt mind paying a pound for something that will technically save them £9. Then what are Virgin media gonna do about that?? They would look uncharitable and get a bad name/rep for trying to stop a charitable effort.

Going off on a tangent slightly, someone posted the very valid point last year that festival goers have paid to see the bands, it's somewhat rich of the organisers to prevent us from finding out what time those bands are on (i.e. to receive the service that we've paid for) without having to pay an extra surcharge.

It's a bit like paying for a flight but the airline charging you £10 to tell you what gate it's going from!

Going off on a tangent slightly, someone posted the very valid point last year that festival goers have paid to see the bands, it's somewhat rich of the organisers to prevent us from finding out what time those bands are on (i.e. to receive the service that we've paid for) without having to pay an extra surcharge.

It's a bit like paying for a flight but the airline charging you £10 to tell you what gate it's going from!

They put the line up stage times up in the welfare tent duda

Last paragraph

http://www.vfestival.com/v-info/facilities-at-v

says

''Stage running times are available at the Welfare Tent and information points, they are also available to purchase with the programme or the souvenir running times. These are available from the merchandise stands or the official roaming sellers.''

Edited by luckysalt

The 59p is paid for the app you're right, 30% of that goes to Apple for hosting/marketing/because they are apple and then the rest goes into a kitty. However because a developer pays £60 to become a developer anyway it will take a few 31p app sales to make that back. Of course once i do it becomes profitable, i haven't thought that far ahead yet, maybe charity is a good idea.

The app doesn't contain stage times because V Festival were very clear if i did that they would sue me for loss of profit. I don't want to get sued. So i will just link to a website that has a clashfinder, the customer isn't paying me for it, i'm just giving the customer a link to a website. Don't think i can be sued for that, i hope.

How can they sue you for publishing something as straightforward as a list of bands and a guess of the times they will play? How can they own rights to that? It seems incredible to me! But I'm not sure in your position I would risk it? But.......

And I suspect that if you link to a website they will just insist the website itself is taken down a la steph78 and efestivals last year.

Good luck! Don't own an iphone myself but it's a great idea.

The 59p is paid for the app you're right, 30% of that goes to Apple for hosting/marketing/because they are apple and then the rest goes into a kitty. However because a developer pays £60 to become a developer anyway it will take a few 31p app sales to make that back. Of course once i do it becomes profitable, i haven't thought that far ahead yet, maybe charity is a good idea.

The app doesn't contain stage times because V Festival were very clear if i did that they would sue me for loss of profit. I don't want to get sued. So i will just link to a website that has a clashfinder, the customer isn't paying me for it, i'm just giving the customer a link to a website. Don't think i can be sued for that, i hope.