Singles now to be released as soon as they hit the radio.

Guest Justiceforcedave

Ampersand - completely agree with your points - one of which is then well illustrated by dakyras diagram.

More artists - especially new ones - are embracing the piracy world as a way to popularise themselves. Will it lead to higher and higher concert prices? We have already seen the shift from gigs to promote albums to albums to promote lucrative gigs. (What will that mean for Glastonbury I wonder? Perhaps another thread....).

I will continue to buy music and borrow some - and hope that one day my conscience can be cleared.......... ;)

but that does exist. and even if every record label on the planet signed up and you could literally listen to anything you wanted on a spotify, i would still do as i do just now.

the problem with spotify is that i can't take it with me in the car.

and i'm not too clued up on how the apps work. i know you need to have the paid version. but then even if it does the same from your phone as it does your laptop, you still need 3g package/service and if you don't have unlimited, i imagine it could get costly.

but that does exist. and even if every record label on the planet signed up and you could literally listen to anything you wanted on a spotify, i would still do as i do just now.

the problem with spotify is that i can't take it with me in the car.

and i'm not too clued up on how the apps work. i know you need to have the paid version. but then even if it does the same from your phone as it does your laptop, you still need 3g package/service and if you don't have unlimited, i imagine it could get costly.

I have spotify in my car and I don't use 3G with it either. Get a decent sized memory card for your phone (I have an android one), then synchronise playlists and favourites while in a wifi area (or at home with home wireless). Have a stereo in you car with a line in - I paid just over £100 for a half-decent one or usually as standard in most new cars. Admittedly costs are involved, but I wanted a new stereo anyway. £9.99 a month is a bargain for the amount of music I have listened to in recent months and I've gone on to buy more CD albums than I probably would have otherwise. Services like Spotify are definitely the future the industry just needs to realise that.

There is a way you manipulate spotify too, if you use the Firefox browser then you should be able to get an add on called freecorder, which is quite a cool app. Anything at all that you are listening to streaming can be recorded on this app, which then saves the track as an mp3 in your freecorder folder. I use it quite a lot with youtube to get alternate versions or bootleg versions of tracks by the bands of my choice. Of course, you might not get the same quality of recording as a CD, but nonetheless it still works. The same applies to singles being released on the same day as the radio airplay, you just stream the radio station and viola! record the single.

I am warming to the idea of a cloud that contains my music. Yeah I might not own it but all that really matters is the tune when it plays - why should I have to allocate storage space, either physically or on my hard drive for something that is essentially ethereal in nature anyway.