U2 might not be at Glasto!

Guest wilko8

See, this is a nonsense argument. U2 pay millions and millions in tax all over the world. They only moved part of their business to Holland anyway. They're entitled to look after their money as they see fit are they not? Or once your involved in charity at all you have to become a total Mother Theresa and walk around in rags do you? :blink:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2010/sep/23/bono-one-millennium-development-goals

Forgive the reheating of old chestnuts, but it seems appropriate to begin with a classic urban myth starring Bono, recently described with due reverence by Viz as "the little twat with a big heart". The apocryphal story finds our hero on stage between songs, intriguing his audience by repeatedly clapping his hands together. "Every time I clap my hands," he finally intones, "a child in Africa dies."

At which point someone in the crowd shouts: "Then stop f**king clapping!"

As I say, it's an old favourite, but it was called to mind this week by news that Bono's ONE campaign had blitzed the New York media with fancy gift boxes. These contained several items, from designer water bottles to $15 bags of Starbucks coffee, as well as information explaining that poverty-stricken African children live on less than $1.25 a day – "about the cost of the cookie in this box".

To which the only reasonable rejoinder would seem to be: "Then stop spending your money on biscuits for journalists."

But let's not be facetious. Naturally, naturally, the business of activism is more complicated than that, and indeed, ONE has since been forced to remind confused civilians that it is an advocacy organisation and not a grant-making organisation. This became necessary after the New York Post revealed that in 2008, the most recent year for which tax records are available, ONE took $14,993,873 in donations from philanthropists, of which a thrifty $184,732 was distributed to charity. More than $8m was spent on executive and employee salaries.

Anyhoo. What Bono's goody bags were trying to draw attention to was his drive to get President Obama to give $6bn to a fund to fight disease in Africa, to coincide with this week's Millennium Development Goals summit taking place in New York.

And yet, if only Bono had spent a little less time thinking about goody bags, and a little bit more on his weekend column in the New York Times, he might not have muddled cause and effect as far as the MDGs were concerned. "The gains made by countries like Ghana," ran a typical statement, "show the progress the Millennium Goals have helped create." Mmm. As Rupa Subramanya Dehejia, who covers the political economy of India for the Wall Street Journal, wrote this week: Bono "would have you believe that Ghana's progress is because of the [Millennium Development] Goals! He further suggests that poor performance in the Congo is due to the financial crises and food shortages. Gasp! Where is my oxygen mask? Have you not heard that Ghana is growing rapidly because of smart economic policies and that Congo is the centre of a war zone which barely has an economy?"

Alas, Rupa, I'm afraid he might not have heard that. Then again, even if he has, Bono is adept at holding two contradictory positions in his own mind. Do consider his endless lobbying of the Irish government to earmark more cash for said MDGs, despite having shifted part of U2's tax affairs to the Netherlands to avoid paying even the ludicrously reduced rates Ireland affords to artists. Has he not heard that the money in the Irish exchequer's coffers comes from taxes, paid by the sublebrity likes of nurses and teachers and bricklayers and so on? Perhaps his clapping drowns it out.

Still, as far as those goody bags go, Lost in Showbiz can only sigh at what seems to be a growing trend for importing the customs of the celebrity world into the humanitarian world. Why, only tomorrow night, Peta will be holding its Humanitarian Awards at the Hollywood Palladium.

I know what you're thinking: at last, an awards ceremony for the unsung heroes of the animal rights world, who devote their lives to the cause, as opposed to highly paid entertainers who give a couple of afternoons to starring in some crass ad campaign for Peta's charmless president Ingrid Newkirk, who compares meat eating to the Holocaust.

In which case, you may be disappointed by Peta's press release, which announces that "awardees" are Simon Cowell, Ricky Gervais, Eva Mendes, Angelica Huston, Glee's Lea Michele and Twilight's Kellan Lutz. Yes, we're talking about those kind of humanitarians, making the entire star-frotting exercise yet another example of the burgeoning humanitarian awards industry.

I hate to break it to you, kids, but philanthropy is no longer its own reward. How else to explain the rash of gala nights to honour celebrity humanitarians, which one can't help feeling fosters the perception that no entertainer is capable of a truly selfless good deed?

Next month, for instance, we have the Hollywood Humanitarian awards – although my favourite will always be an event from a couple of years back. Organised by the same people who were going to send Paris Hilton on a mercy mission to Rwanda (a pledge on which the celebutante still has to make good), the Playing For Good International Philanthropic Summit was a three-day event on Mallorca – hosted by Eva Longoria! Were the impression of a neuron-killing luxury jolly not complete, let me add that the climax of the summit was a black tie, gala presentation of the Awards of Charitable Excellence, with the big award presented by none other than Paris herself, in her first formal appearance since being released from jail. What can you say? Other than caring never looked so hot.

Two things strike me about this.

1) Holland isn't a tax haven so they must still pay tax on their earnings. By paying their taxes anywhere in the EU they are effectively paying tax to Ireland (we all are at the moment - and to Greece!)

2) Given that so many people are insistent on pointing towards Bono's charitable work (whether out of admiration or in a cynical and scathing way) it should be noted that charities don't pay tax. As most people here don't want to contemplate that Bono is a musician and/or entertainer (choosing only to discuss his humanitarian endeavours), they must surely be impressed that he is the only "registered" charity contributing ANY tax.

Two things strike me about this.

1) Holland isn't a tax haven so they must still pay tax on their earnings. By paying their taxes anywhere in the EU they are effectively paying tax to Ireland (we all are at the moment - and to Greece!)

2) Given that so many people are insistent on pointing towards Bono's charitable work (whether out of admiration or in a cynical and scathing way) it should be noted that charities don't pay tax. As most people here don't want to contemplate that Bono is a musician and/or entertainer (choosing only to discuss his humanitarian endeavours), they must surely be impressed that he is the only "registered" charity contributing ANY tax.

Well considering he lectures our(irish) politicians about our national contribution to third world aid, and about our artist tax exemption etc, I think it makes him a MASSIVE hypocrite for not paying his taxes in this country tbh. Regardless of his, albeit very admirable, charity work.

I’m sure all rich people would like to end all suffering but just like bono they don’t want to do it with THEIR money so let normal people who can’t afford to opt out of paying tax fund his crusade so he can go on an ego trip lecturing people and boring politicians who are only interested in making themselves more popular by talking to a rock star and then he can save his own money for getting hats sent to him at £1000 a go.

He’s made some good music but he's still a t##t

Maybe, but they've moved stuff away to avail of cheaper tax elsewhere so they're not paying as much as they should.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant. I don't like him. He's self-righteous, smug and sanctimonious. I struggle to think of anyone that does as much good work for charity that is as unlikeable as Bono. I have no problem with the other 3 lads.

Someone like Chris Martin does plenty of charity work, but he's nowhere near as bad. Christ, even Sir Bob is less offensive.

If this were an irish forum, you'd be invoking the "Typical Irish Begrudgery" card.

I’m sure all rich people would like to end all suffering but just like bono they don’t want to do it with THEIR money so let normal people who can’t afford to opt out of paying tax fund his crusade so he can go on an ego trip lecturing people and boring politicians who are only interested in making themselves more popular by talking to a rock star and then he can save his own money for getting hats sent to him at £1000 a go.

He’s made some good music but he's still a t##t

"Bono... is God."

11795-3739.gif

This arguement was tiresome last year chief. Since when are you privvy to U2's tax affairs. Everything you have said thusfar about anyone is quite frankly BS. You havent a f*cking clue what youre talking about. Its all conjecture and speculation. You havent seen their accounts have you? So how can you make these comments, then?

We get it, you just don't like him. Great.

Now do one.

So all we've discovered is people love or hate Arcade Fire and/or Radiohead.

Those that hate then proceed to call their fans fanboys. Main justification, because Radiohead and Arcade Fire they're crap or irrelevant.

In return they then come up with some half arsed excuse to why Bono is a saint and claim U2 are the best band ever!

They then get pulled down as Bono is a 'hypocrite' and we're still none the wiser as to whether or not they will be at Glasto, although they 'probably' will be.

Great thread! And apologies for being responsible for inserting the Radiohead cliche back on page 3/4. Did someone mention they'll definitely be at shangi-la as they don't care about the pyramid anyway?