Line-up reaction

Guest Dirty Boots

bit of bugger really, its real close to me(20 mins up the road).

even with a very average lineup I would go, but this lineup is shocking. its even worse than isle of wight festival.

take away arctic monkeys and eminem what you got? plan B sub headlining, rhianna blimey.

not for me thank you, but then again reading/leeds will be dire this year aswel.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bit of bugger really, its real close to me(20 mins up the road).

even with a very average lineup I would go, but this lineup is shocking. its even worse than isle of wight festival.

take away arctic monkeys and eminem what you got? plan B sub headlining, rhianna blimey.

not for me thank you, but then again reading/leeds will be dire this year aswel.

To be honest I quite like the V festival line up.

Its got a great line which meets the demographic of V and throws in some others that i was hoping to see at Leeds.

I mean Arctics & Eminem thats some pretty strong headliners i mean Plan B subbing is really poor but they've got

Pendulum, Dizzee, Kaiser Chiefs, Duran Duran, Primal Scream, Manic's, Courteeners, Wombats.

All though I was surprised to see the lack of Katy Perry.

the problem with V i find is, like another person said.. it cant make its mind up what sort of fest it is. you have the likes of plan b, the saturdays, and scouting for girls. then at the opposite end of the spectrum you have the acrtic monkeys, and eminem, and everything in between. seems like V is having trouble knowing what sort of festival it is.

Well, apart from a few of the bands I really like, that are playing further down the bill (Manics, Kaisers, Cast etc) there is very little - and indeed nothing from the top 4 acts - that i have paid for tickets in the past or indeed would pay for tickets to see..........I think the time has eventually come for me to say that I am now too old for this festival (I will be 40 this year!!)

This is hugely disappointing as the wife and I have been going for the past nine years, we have seen the steady increase of mainstream drivel (in my opinion) that cant play instruments or even write their own songs or music (sweeping statement I know)........ but I am hoping it will be an absolute sell out for the youngsters and they enjoy it as much as I used too.......also some of them might buy my tickets off me, so I can put the money towards something different this year, maybe even a festival abroad ( whats that? a SAGA holiday I hear you say ....cheeky bas**rds!!).

Vfestival unless you pull something out of the band on the second stage and the tent line-ups it will be goodbye old friend................. :(

I don't get why people are surprised, since I've been going V has been about the commercial, mainstream acts that you see and hear about all year round, not really about legends or those not having hits at the present time. Ellie Goulding and Tinie Tempah is exactly what I expected.

What I do understand is people not liking that kind of music which is fine, but I would say that while it may be an inconvenience or a shame to have to move on, V is the only festival so closely dedicated to this level of mainstream/commercial acts, whereas there are plenty who focus on the indie/rock acts. And also I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss the pop acts so freely - I'm struggling to see which of the acts announced can't play instruments or write their own songs - even Olly Murs co-wrote on about 10 of his album tracks, and two of the Saturdays play acoustic guitar in their live sets. People who are finding the line up mediocre but still have a ticket should give some of these acts a chance!

On the contrary, I think it's made it's mind up exactly what sort of fest it is. It is one that wants to make money, pure & simple. It is, I am sad to say, soulless. Perhaps it always was. In the first ten years it only probably championed indie because indie sold tickets back then.

But the way the music industry is now, V has decided that its unique selling point is giving average joe punter exactly what he/she wants because it is the best way to shift tickets. The demographic got younger & I got older! Pixies and QOTSA and The Strokes have been replaced by Bruno Mars, Scouting for Girls and N-Dubz! The few acts I would want to see in 2011 are IMHO on the downward slope now anyway. Sad as a Chelmsford citizen and 15 years on the V clock, but for me it's time to move on. There are other choices out there, so it's not all bad. Life goes on, but not at Hylands Park.

Remember when your Mum & Dad used to tell you the music of today was rubbish....

Plenty of posters on here commenting they have been going for 10-15 years and it's just not the same anymore. There is a simple explanation, we are getting old (yes I include myself in that) and tastes are changing. You only need to look on Wireless messageboards to see the young crowd asking who the hell Pulp are. Whatever anyone thinks of their music, Eminem & Rhianna are enormous and the younger folk in my office are falling over themselves to go.

Bottom line is that V will sell out in half an hour on Friday and if anyone is looking for a 'corporate-free' (is there such a thing??) festival then they would surely look elsewhere anyway.

muse are very very tiresome and perdictable, an uless your a fan of mcr who elses is really going to be overly botherd about watching there set? also im not sure there headline material.

the stokes are the only exception. i am hopefully really looking forword to them pulp, and elbow.

Remember when your Mum & Dad used to tell you the music of today was rubbish....

Plenty of posters on here commenting they have been going for 10-15 years and it's just not the same anymore. There is a simple explanation, we are getting old (yes I include myself in that) and tastes are changing. You only need to look on Wireless messageboards to see the young crowd asking who the hell Pulp are. Whatever anyone thinks of their music, Eminem & Rhianna are enormous and the younger folk in my office are falling over themselves to go.

Bottom line is that V will sell out in half an hour on Friday and if anyone is looking for a 'corporate-free' (is there such a thing??) festival then they would surely look elsewhere anyway.

Arggghhhh the curse of early bird tickets! Plan B and Rhianna playing the slots stereophonics and fatihless had last year :( I can understand a lot of it but plan b subbing is crazy (even though i'm a big fan). V is the only festival i have experienced (4 on the trot), but cant wait for my first t in the park (amazing line up) and reading this year as well as benicassim :) only going to go V because all my mates are going and dont want to be stuck at home, think will be my last unless they pull some names out the hat with next announcement, ie; Feeder last year :)

Looking forward to Manics, Wombats, chase and status, Kaiser chiefs and pendulum though.

Im not impressed with this one little bit. Few people i would see but not sure if thats enough for me. Been the last 2 years and each year has been acts that i really wanna see. Might put the 375 quid i payed for mine and my gf's tickets towards going to Vegas instead

Shame V has become a summer staple for me, but no plans to attend after the line up announcement. Significantly short of rock/indie star power for me.... inevitably there are some acts I like, but most of them Ive even seen recently anyway. Oh well guess ill catch a few extra gigs with the spare money.

Edited by Dirty Boots