Line-up reaction

Guest Dirty Boots

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I am officially old. Gone are the days of getting into the office today and being on text to see how many tickets our group had secured, the line up announcment on the edge of my seat. But no My V festival wellies are well and truly hung up, is this my age? is this the decline of the music industry? I dont know Even my work colleagues (who like Cliff Richards) have missed the mayhem of today and buying tickets for us all. From the people I would see from the Line Up, Imelda May, Courteeners, OCS, I just feel I am getting Festival De Ja Vu and when my 6 year old daughter was begging for me to get tickets and take her as she loves the line up, I knew my v days were well and truly over.

I am going to sit in the garden and cry into my Pims come V weekend

I think I am officially old. Gone are the days of getting into the office today and being on text to see how many tickets our group had secured, the line up announcment on the edge of my seat. But no My V festival wellies are well and truly hung up, is this my age? is this the decline of the music industry? I dont know Even my work colleagues (who like Cliff Richards) have missed the mayhem of today and buying tickets for us all. From the people I would see from the Line Up, Imelda May, Courteeners, OCS, I just feel I am getting Festival De Ja Vu and when my 6 year old daughter was begging for me to get tickets and take her as she loves the line up, I knew my v days were well and truly over.

I am going to sit in the garden and cry into my Pims come V weekend

I really didn't feel bothered in the slightest today not trying for tickets, V is a done deal for me. Its changed too much, or ratgher what is popular has. V has always been about what is popular in the charts but the charts is so shit these days that it reflects on V. Theres a few acts I wouldn't mind seeing but theres not a single act on the line up that I look at and think damn im gutted Im gunna miss them.

Last year was a good line up, too good for V in fact in recent years, I always knew this year was going to suffer because of it.

Maybe I'll be back someday but I doubt it.

I look at fests like Hop Farm, and its such a better line up, but Im more than happy with Download, and I get 5 nights camping there and an extra days acts for the same money. And things like night entertainment, V has positives, the food areas are a massive plus point, and I like the layout but it has many negatives too.

Anyway all the new crew to V enjoy it! My first was 2001 and its a completely different festival these days to what it was then. Completely different, its changed and so has the fanbase, fair enough!

The vast majority of people who attend V Festival are the common folk. I, unfortunately, have had not had the privilage of much culture in my up bringing. I have been subjected to Football, X Factor, Big Brother and street violence. Having said that, I did meet Stephen Fry once.

I'm going this year again (as I've got free tics) and I am looking forward to Primal Scream, Cast, Ocean Colour Scene, Squeeze..... actually I think I'm getting old.

Also, I do think there is too much analysing of what's cool, what's not, what's current, what's old, what's pop, what's acceptable to like, what's not etc etc etc... I've been do dozens of Festivals, and regardless to the line-up you always have a good time, and there is always something to do or watch somewhere. JUST GO WITH THE FLOW PEOPLE! You never know, you all might actually enjoy yourselves!

And if you're still not having a good time, get some new friends - they may be dragging you down. However, if they are having a good time, and you're not - you may be dragging them down, and secretly they don't want you there.

In summary, my reaction to the line-up at first was interested, then surprised and then upset. After that I went through a period of denial, which was followed up by a lot of anxiety, before finally - acceptance.

P.S. Please add Gomez, Jamie T, Badly Drawn Boy, Miles Kane, Groove Armada (again - as I didn't go last year), Lupe Fiasco, Damien Rice, Noah and the Whale and Dinosaur Pile-Up. (And please don't reply saying "so-and-so is playing Reading etc, etc, because I haven't analysed every other Festivals line-up).

I thank you.

I really didn't feel bothered in the slightest today not trying for tickets, V is a done deal for me. Its changed too much, or ratgher what is popular has. V has always been about what is popular in the charts but the charts is so shit these days that it reflects on V. Theres a few acts I wouldn't mind seeing but theres not a single act on the line up that I look at and think damn im gutted Im gunna miss them.

Last year was a good line up, too good for V in fact in recent years, I always knew this year was going to suffer because of it.

Maybe I'll be back someday but I doubt it.

I look at fests like Hop Farm, and its such a better line up, but Im more than happy with Download, and I get 5 nights camping there and an extra days acts for the same money. And things like night entertainment, V has positives, the food areas are a massive plus point, and I like the layout but it has many negatives too.

Anyway all the new crew to V enjoy it! My first was 2001 and its a completely different festival these days to what it was then. Completely different, its changed and so has the fanbase, fair enough!

I thought the line-up was the worst possible - then I saw Sunday headliner at Hard Rock Calling... its Rod bloody Stewart. Thank Christ I didn't early bird the weekend.

Still gutted about V (my first was '97 and been most years since) line-up but as said times change, its more annoyance that a large chunk of the acts were there last year and haven't released owt new - so why would you want to watch it again?

I thought the line-up was the worst possible - then I saw Sunday headliner at Hard Rock Calling... its Rod bloody Stewart. Thank Christ I didn't early bird the weekend.

Still gutted about V (my first was '97 and been most years since) line-up but as said times change, its more annoyance that a large chunk of the acts were there last year and haven't released owt new - so why would you want to watch it again?

The vast majority of people who attend V Festival are the common folk. I, unfortunately, have had not had the privilage of much culture in my up bringing. I have been subjected to Football, X Factor, Big Brother and street violence. Having said that, I did meet Stephen Fry once.

I'm going this year again (as I've got free tics) and I am looking forward to Primal Scream, Cast, Ocean Colour Scene, Squeeze..... actually I think I'm getting old.

Also, I do think there is too much analysing of what's cool, what's not, what's current, what's old, what's pop, what's acceptable to like, what's not etc etc etc... I've been do dozens of Festivals, and regardless to the line-up you always have a good time, and there is always something to do or watch somewhere. JUST GO WITH THE FLOW PEOPLE! You never know, you all might actually enjoy yourselves!

And if you're still not having a good time, get some new friends - they may be dragging you down. However, if they are having a good time, and you're not - you may be dragging them down, and secretly they don't want you there.

In summary, my reaction to the line-up at first was interested, then surprised and then upset. After that I went through a period of denial, which was followed up by a lot of anxiety, before finally - acceptance.

P.S. Please add Gomez, Jamie T, Badly Drawn Boy, Miles Kane, Groove Armada (again - as I didn't go last year), Lupe Fiasco, Damien Rice, Noah and the Whale and Dinosaur Pile-Up. (And please don't reply saying "so-and-so is playing Reading etc, etc, because I haven't analysed every other Festivals line-up).

I thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is the first time since 2000 that me, Redmeister (who's he ;) ) and the rest of the Shadwell lot haven't got tickets to V.

Bollocks to the we're getting too old blah blah, last years line up was quality, one of the best yet. This is the shittest line up, beating 2002's weak link.

we still may get tickets but £185 for that??? hmmm. Very disappointed.

Might just turn up and spend the weekend in the car park and blag my way in.

More rock n roll please V!

V festival has Rihanna and Eminem, and almost all the good names from T in the park and more. And they've only announced half the lineup. Elbow's supposed 2 be there aswel this year.

Glasto will have the best lineup of all ofcourse, but can't really compare it to any other festival, and getting tickets now won't be easy either!

Just seen this on the TITP thread ^. Contender for most ridiculous post ever?

interesting to see if anyone agrees with him on this forum?

V festival has Rihanna and Eminem, and almost all the good names from T in the park and more. And they've only announced half the lineup. Elbow's supposed 2 be there aswel this year.

Glasto will have the best lineup of all ofcourse, but can't really compare it to any other festival, and getting tickets now won't be easy either!