Future headliners

Guest j-j-j-j-joe!

None of the points you made actually have any effect on what makes a headliner.. for one, they were booked to sub in 2007, which was, granted a while ago, but i mean it's clear FR have a bigger plan for them. The slipping is more to do with the actual bands they were set to play with, Biffy and QOTSA, of course they were gonna be set below them. The set had almost nothing from the new album? It had the singles didn't it?

They have the reputation, they have the hits, they have the backing, they have the history, they could headline.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would love a headline slot for enter shikari... they are a growing band... they are a very niche band but i personally would LOVE to see them headline and they could deffinately pull it off in a few years maybe 2015 or so? if they have a couple more albums as good as the last :)

also dream theater? probably again not everyones cup of tea but they could deffinately headline, they have the material and they are AMAZING

just a couple of new ones nobody has mentioned for you to get your teeth stuck into :)

I think Paramore will almost definitely headline a festival with their next album, if it's not R&L, they'll be there not long after.

Biffy Clyro have made the jump now and assuming they release another album with enough pop hits like Only Revolutions they'll easily headline Reading.

These two I reckon both have a shot at headlining in 2012 or 2013. Elbow could easily headline in that time too.

Further than that, I really think the Gaslight Anthem will be one of the biggest bands in the world one day, i'd like to think it'd happen with their next album but it'd probably take two, but hopefully they'll headline eventually.

People are right to say Bloc Party because I think if they play it well, leave it a bit longer, that could be a huge reunion and I think surprise people with just how big. QOTSA could headline anytime, I think they could have headlined last year to be honest. They're the quintessential Reading band, they are the perfect image of what Reading's always kind of wanted to be, both now and in the 90's. If they left it a bit and it was a comeback of sorts they could easily do it, with or without a new album.

Who knows after that, hard to tell which bands will continue to grow and which won't. There's plenty like Vampire Weekend, Yeah Yeah Yeah's etc who could, depends!

Edited by sm93

I can't ever see them headlining. They have peaked now. You can tell that by the way the are moving around the bill. I think if a new album came out 2moro most people wouldn't go out and buy it after the last couple didn't really get them any bigger people just get bored of keep trying with albums after a couple have not really hit the spot.

Even the hit set didn't go down very well at leeds last year and they just seemed to be going through the motions and in general taking the piss on stage. The biggest response id say they got was when they started playing paradise city as a joke.

Kasabian will headline soon, probably next year after they release their next one.

Can also see Courteeners having a steep rise dependent on the next album, or maybe the one after, similar to Kasabian's off the back of their third.

Cage the elephant - new album is getting quite a bit of airplay and also its IMO pretty amazing. They sort of remind me of Kings of Leon, as long as they don't completely sell out (you sort of have to really if you want to headline festivals) then give them 2 more albums and I hope they will be up there or atleast subbing.

Wild Beasts - Again fantastic band that need a big album with a slightly more mainstream sound and they could clime through the ranks.

Vampire weekend - next album and they would probably be worth a punt much like arcade fire last year. Aslong as it gets enough promotion then it will be fine, they'll need to sub a few festivals maybe before they get a break. Great band, perfect for festivals with a pint of cider.

Vampire weekend

florence and machine

both on the rise and very popular, seem to fit well in the reading nme crowd. i recon if vampires next album is as successful as the last 2 definetly could. florence may be 2 albums off but considering shes headlined lattidue and big weekend successfull i see no reason why she couldn't step up to the bigger festivals as a headliner.

if a new album is realsed + if pete isn't getting arrested/dieing the liberteens would

i recon pendulum will headline a festival if they're next albums successful. weather or not they're worthy

might be worth giving a shout to editors who seem to be growing fairly big at a decent pace, but doubt it

Same with Jamie T. but both these bands/artists wouldn't be anytime soon i doubt

and to throw a randomer in. Daft punk!!!!

i'd also like to state i'd love to see where delphic are placed if they have a good second album. absloutly brilliant band

Really... I think people on these forms shoot down their last album to easily... it got to No3 in the charts... thats 11 positions higher than what MCR's latest album charted at. And the single reached No.16 which is pretty good for a rock act these days! I think their next album will be fairly successful, defo top 5. I think The Betrayed ket them at the same level as Lib Trans, last year they did a 20 date UK tour, all dates sold out including Cardiff Arena, 7,500 capacity, MCR didn't see Cardiff arena out last month. So if MCR can headline, why not have a brtish rock band headline? and from where i was in the crowd at leeds they seemed to go down very well. they also sound a lot better live than blink 182. oh... and i'm sure blink did far too much piss taking too right?!

I would be amazed if this band got up to 4th headliners, never mind headlining the festival. I enjoy their music, but nothing about their music/image screams future superstars to me. I see them as a band who will probably maintain a cult fanbase but never hit the big time.