March For The Alternative - London Saturday 26th March

Guest HastingsBoy

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say you are about as 100% wrong on that as you could be. It defeated Hitler. IRA violence forced the british government to the negotiating table. The french revolution wasn't about sitting round having a nice chat. The poll tax riot brought down thatcher. Standing toe to toe with the national front chased them off our streets. Setting fire to toxteth forced Heseltine to invest millions in liverpool.

A million people wandering peacefully round london didnt stop the iraq war

Point taken. But are you suggesting that violence at next weeks March is the only way things will change? Don't get me wrong I would like to see an "end" to Cameron and his cronies but i'm not sure fighting with the police or smashing stuff up is gonna win over the rest of Britain. That's what we have to do - get people marching up and down the country, peaceful civil disobedience, occupation of buildings, industrial action etc.

But i really do understand where you are coming from.

Having been on practically a march a month since November (as well as occupying my uni and taking part in some, er, direct actions), I'm really upset that I'm flying to Sicily with uni on the day of the march. I've been helping plan this for weeks, discussing feeder marches, other possible actions, and ultimately why marching A to B doesn't achieve very much.

If you're not a marching and standing at rallys sort of person, get yourself to the Kennington Park feeder march or Oxford street, occupy!

Having been on practically a march a month since November (as well as occupying my uni and taking part in some, er, direct actions), I'm really upset that I'm flying to Sicily with uni on the day of the march. I've been helping plan this for weeks, discussing feeder marches, other possible actions, and ultimately why marching A to B doesn't achieve very much.

If you're not a marching and standing at rallys sort of person, get yourself to the Kennington Park feeder march or Oxford street, occupy!

I'm going but despite living in the Midlands we have to get the coach at 7am - the police aren't letting the coaches get close. We're getting dropped off somewhere and then have to somehow get to the start of the March. Will be a long day. Jumpers, water bottles and comfy shoes are definitely needed!

Incidentally, what's the alternative we're all marching for and where is it coming from? I can see a march for not wanting this, but the alternative seems to be a slightly different version of the thing we're marching against just now.

Edited by ohmygod

Blimey - i didn't post on here to have an argument with someone! The March is supposed to be a positive thing.

The people who pay for it are those who are unjustifiably avoiding £120bn pa tax - the people who can afford to pay for it - not the ordinary people who didn't cause the crisis in the first place.

What do you suggest people do then? What's your alternative?

Occupying buildings - see Uncut - banks universities etc. That's what i mean by peaceful civil disoedience.

From SchNEWS 763. TUC not necessarily on your side . . . :ph34r:

"With the anti-cuts march of March 26th shaping up to be a big one, police preparations to keep a tight grip on law and order are well underway. With the shrieks of protest from the liberal press over 'crowd management' techniques that involve horse charging, beating and kettling students ringing in their ears, police will this time be employing an army of soft-cops.

The Met has managed to achieve unprecedented collusion with protest organisers the TUC and Liberty (see SchNEWS 761), supposedly in the interests of 'public safety'. What this means for protesters is that on the 26th all may not be what it seems. FitWatch have uncovered the extent that TUC stewards are to be the police's lackeys on the day, including intelligence-sharing and calling the bona-fide cops in if demonstrators try anything other than walking from A to B. FitWatch said, 'For this demonstration the TUC has been co-opted into the entire policing operation, bringing about a whole new level of police control.'

And if that is not enough, the police have promised to deal 'robustly' with any lawful or unlawful disobedience, employ snatch squads and CCTV, and have a 'kettling manager' with a specific remit to deal with the standard unjustified detention (avoid, avoid, avoid!).

A word of warning about travel - don't expect to be able to get the tube or a bus anywhere near the demo once it's started. Arrive early and have a plan of what to do if you can't get to the main march. Meet yer on the streets!"