March For The Alternative - London Saturday 26th March

Guest HastingsBoy

Yay lets have everyone rioting through the streets of london where ever the f**k they feel like it, maybe even building up crushes at certain parts with to many people trying get places? and oh btw very few of the government will be in London, so basically your just disrupting the lives of people trying go about there daily business really. (and before you say I do realize you seem to be arguing against this protest Phil but advocating something much worse.)

Its not that I am against protest or freedom of speech, but it just more often than not seems to hurt the majority of people who try their best to get on with their lives no matter what government is in place rather than the government itself. Most of the government will be away in their country retreats and it just creates a huge mess that we end up having to collectively clean up through taxes. Most people are aware of the cuts, and whats happening, so I just don't get the point? Its not awareness on any level as I am sure the government are well aware its going to be unpopular with some of society about them.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - we have a parliamentary liberal democracy. Whilst that may not be as deomocratic (in the truest sense of the word) as either you or I may like, it is complete nonsense to suggest that we do not have a democratic system in the UK.

except of course when the majority clearly vote AGAINST cuts of the level that we're getting but we still get them. ;)

How can it be called democracy when the majority have voted against the major policy programme being implemented by the current govt?

Plus there is an unelected house which has the power of veto (if only temporary) over any bill from the house of commons.

Plus the old aristocracy still runs the country. One hundred years ago they simply swapped their absolute power within the Lords for absolute power within the machine of govt.

We're so democratically backwards that the UK is the only democracy in the world which has never carried out land reform. Even most of the dictatorships have managed to carry out land reform. In this country, the land is still owed by the same people who owned it 1000 years ago - and all of the most major faults within our parliamentary system come from that. We are all still serfs.

except of course when the majority clearly vote AGAINST cuts of the level that we're getting but we still get them. ;)

How can it be called democracy when the majority have voted against the major policy programme being implemented by the current govt?

Plus there is an unelected house which has the power of veto (if only temporary) over any bill from the house of commons.

Plus the old aristocracy still runs the country. One hundred years ago they simply swapped their absolute power within the Lords for absolute power within the machine of govt.

We're so democratically backwards that the UK is the only democracy in the world which has never carried out land reform. Even most of the dictatorships have managed to carry out land reform. In this country, the land is still owed by the same people who owned it 1000 years ago - and all of the most major faults within our parliamentary system come from that. We are all still serfs.

There is alot of misunderstandings about about the state our economy - and the need for cuts.

Apparently our deficit isnt as bad as the government is making out,and has been much worse in the past without a massive panic.

They government obviously has surplus funds - how else are we funding the war in Libya/Iraq/Afghanistan etc?

They are obviously taking care of their own interests and friends - Bankers/Large Companies etc,and attacking the thing they despise- Nationalised Public Services.

There seems to be a general agreement that the austerity measures are the right thing to do.

If you have time - try reading this.(change view to 100% before reading).

http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/CUTS_ARE_NOT_THE_CURE.pdf

Tell you what, i'll give you a chance to list the achievements of peaceful protest before showing that not only are you thick, your use of peasants makes you an ignorant c**t to boot

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=14142

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23616998-pro-israel-protests-end-peacefully.do

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23616998-pro-israel-protests-end-peacefully.do

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4722905

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/protest-against-mosque-near-911-ground-zero/123098-2.html

and yes if you were one of those kicking in doors ect then yes i think your a peasant old son .if you weren't no offence intended you trunt :P

I love the arrogance of people who assume they're in tune with the majority..

no-one voted for the coalition. What logic makes you think people who voted lib-dem are happy with a conservative (mainly) government?

most people didnt vote for them (conservative)

Exactly. In the past, I would have considered voting Lib Dem, but not now I know it could be a vote for the Tories. I'm extremely glad I didn't decide to vote for them in the last election, I'm sure many of their supporters are absolutely gutted that they've facilitated Tory rule.

Edited by paulbrock

I love the arrogance of people who assume they're in tune with the majority..

no-one voted for the coalition. What logic makes you think people who voted lib-dem are happy with a conservative (mainly) government?

most people didnt vote for them (conservative)

did they miss the numerous interviews where Clegg said that the party with the most support had a mandate to form a coalition government? Or the numerous analyses/explanations that it wouldn't be a 50/50 split of power between the Conservatives and the Lib Dems? It was very likely before the election that unless somehow there was a miraculous leap of Lib Dem support that a vote for the LDs would facilitate 'tory rule'.

There is alot of misunderstandings about about the state our economy - and the need for cuts.

Apparently our deficit isnt as bad as the government is making out,and has been much worse in the past without a massive panic.

They government obviously has surplus funds - how else are we funding the war in Libya/Iraq/Afghanistan etc?

They are obviously taking care of their own interests and friends - Bankers/Large Companies etc,and attacking the thing they despise- Nationalised Public Services.

There seems to be a general agreement that the austerity measures are the right thing to do.

If you have time - try reading this.(change view to 100% before reading).

http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/CUTS_ARE_NOT_THE_CURE.pdf

did they miss the numerous interviews where Clegg said that the party with the most support had a mandate to form a coalition government? Or the numerous analyses/explanations that it wouldn't be a 50/50 split of power between the Conservatives and the Lib Dems? It was very likely before the election that unless somehow there was a miraculous leap of Lib Dem support that a vote for the LDs would facilitate 'tory rule'.

Edited by feral chile

That's not *strictly* true. Though of course the LDs made a big's ear of the negotiating at the coalition formation, at least from their supporters POV. They did badly though, despite the hype, they actually lost seats in parliament last election, and have only 1/5 of the seats of the conservatives.

People vote for parties, not policies.

The fact is, on both the popular vote and the number of MPs returned the Conservatives did better than other parties; that means they can enact large parts of their manifesto, with the support of another party. If the other party wishes to withdraw their support they can do so.

I suggest that if it was a Labour/Lib Dem coalition implementing predominantly Labour policies that the majority of the electorate 'hadn't voted for', there would be rather less criticism of the system, at least on this board :)