2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloc Party/Florence (co-headline - similar to Pulp/Strokes last year. Bloc Party top Reading, Flo top Leeds)

Mumford and Sons

Kaiser Chiefs

The Shins

my thoughts are are that neither florence or bloc party are strong enough to headline, so give them a co-headlining slot with mumford underneath to strengthen it up. if this was the top of the bill on the saturday (reading), it would be the first day to sell out of day tickets, easily.

Right, I know people have shoved Green Day to one side, but I still reckon they've got a pretty good chance of playing and here's why:

- They're currently in studio (have been since Feb 14th) and releasing studio updates every other couple of days. They're definitely trying to build a hype up over something, perhaps an album release sooner than we think?

- Compared to American Idiot, Green Day's latest album 21st Century Breakdown did not, although successful, reach the grandeur and recognition that American Idiot achieved for the band. Perhaps they are trying to recreate a similar hype with their newest album in the hopes it will achieve the same status as American Idiot?

- Perhaps this is why they're working with Rob Cavallo again for this album, which is when we have seen them play their biggest shows and more UK festivals than ever before (milton keynes bowl 05, reading/leeds '04, Oxygen Festival '05 and T in the Park '05 to name solely their UK big dates off the back of American Idiot release)

- At the beginning of 2004, Green day went into the studio to write up their newest album.The last time Green Day played reading/leeds ('04), they were just about to release aforementioned album (american idiot; single released a few days after the weekend, album released Sep '04). They also played Summer Sonic Festival the same year, starting to sound familiar?

- I know Neil has said that he's heard information suggesting they will be setting out on a UK tour in September this year and this is why he believes they won't be appearing at reading/leeds, but I don't believe that at all. It is entirely unheard of for them to release an album and set out to the likes of the UK and Europe without first touring the US, which unless they are expecting to release their album in the next week and squash a years worth of touring the US into a few months, as well as popping over to Japan for Summer Sonic festival? I just don't see it happening.

- Something that is happening in autumn(fall) over here which sources could be getting mixed up with is the American Idiot Musical reaching the UK, could this be perhaps why people believe Green Day will not be able to play, because unless Billie Joe in planning another stint as St Jimmy, the Musical and their schedules are completely unrelated.

I just want people's opinions really as I have been debating for months now whether or not I can see them actually making an appearance, most years I ignore the rumours (I know they are mentioned without fail each year), but this year there just seems to be method in the madness. They would compliment the Foo Fighters brilliantly, what with both bands achieving 90's Pop Punk stardom, but growing into two entirely different bands. Kasabian, although a brilliant band, I don't feel are strong enough headliners especially if the 3rd is announced to be someone along the lines of Florence and the Machine or Dizzee Rascal (shudders), but you never know...

I reckon we will definitely get Lostprophets. New album this year and played V last year. Return to reading surely? Also Ian loves the festival. in 2010 i remember him saying that it was amazing every fucking time. Or something like that. They'd probably be 3rd on Main. Cant see them headlining NME again as they only did that in 09 then went 4th main.

Right, I know people have shoved Green Day to one side, but I still reckon they've got a pretty good chance of playing and here's why:

- They're currently in studio (have been since Feb 14th) and releasing studio updates every other couple of days. They're definitely trying to build a hype up over something, perhaps an album release sooner than we think?

- Compared to American Idiot, Green Day's latest album 21st Century Breakdown did not, although successful, reach the grandeur and recognition that American Idiot achieved for the band. Perhaps they are trying to recreate a similar hype with their newest album in the hopes it will achieve the same status as American Idiot?

- Perhaps this is why they're working with Rob Cavallo again for this album, which is when we have seen them play their biggest shows and more UK festivals than ever before (milton keynes bowl 05, reading/leeds '04, Oxygen Festival '05 and T in the Park '05 to name solely their UK big dates off the back of American Idiot release)

- At the beginning of 2004, Green day went into the studio to write up their newest album.The last time Green Day played reading/leeds ('04), they were just about to release aforementioned album (american idiot; single released a few days after the weekend, album released Sep '04). They also played Summer Sonic Festival the same year, starting to sound familiar?

- I know Neil has said that he's heard information suggesting they will be setting out on a UK tour in September this year and this is why he believes they won't be appearing at reading/leeds, but I don't believe that at all. It is entirely unheard of for them to release an album and set out to the likes of the UK and Europe without first touring the US, which unless they are expecting to release their album in the next week and squash a years worth of touring the US into a few months, as well as popping over to Japan for Summer Sonic festival? I just don't see it happening.

- Something that is happening in autumn(fall) over here which sources could be getting mixed up with is the American Idiot Musical reaching the UK, could this be perhaps why people believe Green Day will not be able to play, because unless Billie Joe in planning another stint as St Jimmy, the Musical and their schedules are completely unrelated.

I just want people's opinions really as I have been debating for months now whether or not I can see them actually making an appearance, most years I ignore the rumours (I know they are mentioned without fail each year), but this year there just seems to be method in the madness. They would compliment the Foo Fighters brilliantly, what with both bands achieving 90's Pop Punk stardom, but growing into two entirely different bands. Kasabian, although a brilliant band, I don't feel are strong enough headliners especially if the 3rd is announced to be someone along the lines of Florence and the Machine or Dizzee Rascal (shudders), but you never know...

The biggest gig Green Day ever played was in 2010 at Wembley, Foos were never pop punk, peopel are not confusing the Sep Green Day tour with the Nov/Dec American Idiot play, they have toured other countries before touring the US with a new album and it hurts to look at your bright red writing.

They also played Summer Sonic Festival the same year, starting to sound familiar?

the fact that they're playing that festival says that touring activity is probable. Nothing about it says that just festivals is probable.

- I know Neil has said that he's heard information suggesting they will be setting out on a UK tour in September this year and this is why he believes they won't be appearing at reading/leeds, but I don't believe that at all.

I can't say who my source is, but take my words for it that there should be no error with that source.

It is entirely unheard of for them to release an album and set out to the likes of the UK and Europe without first touring the US,

you're presuming that the album release is imminent, when it might not be. It's far from unheard of for there to be a year or more before the start of recording and its release, especially for the biggest bands.

it's certainly not the case that there's any mix-up between the band and the theatre show.

Either my source is 100% right, or it's 100% wrong.

Just to make clear....

There should be no error with what I've heard about an arena tour in around September (and nothing in the UK before September). I've had info from this source before about an arena tour and it proved to be correct. In all honesty I can't rate this source at anything less than 100%.

But I have had conflicting info, that says they're a headliner - and applying sense to that rumour I can't dismiss it totally. That source might well be in a position to know accurate info - in theory they should have accurate info - but it's also the case that people in the same position as that source often don't have correct info while believing that they do. I've encountered errors from sources like this on many occasions, so can only rate this source as about 60%.

I lean very strongly to the first source being correct, but can't completely rule out the second all the same.

I know I was there haha, I meant whilst with Cavallo and more festivals, cause they did a stadium tour with Butch Vig for 21st Century Breakdown (Wembley etc) but that has nothing to do with festivals/reading/leeds so I didn't feel the need to include it. You can't deny that early foos definitely had a pop punk sound to them, I'm not talking pop punk as in what bands nowadays would be classed as, but more a name for the genre I would stick the likes of early green day, foos, offspring etc. I'm not saying it's impossible I'm saying it's practically unheard of, which makes them touring the US first all the more likely, and my apologies that on a forum with this many pages I wanted people to take notice of my post...

I reckon we will definitely get Lostprophets. New album this year and played V last year. Return to reading surely? Also Ian loves the festival. in 2010 i remember him saying that it was amazing every fucking time. Or something like that. They'd probably be 3rd on Main. Cant see them headlining NME again as they only did that in 09 then went 4th main.

Lostprophets could play 3rd on Main. They're still a fairly big name, and the only reason they played 4th in 2010 is because Biffy Clyro, QOTSA and GNR are all way bigger than they are, and the depth of that line-up resulted in them playing lower.

If Jimmy Eat World can move one slot back up the bill surely they can.