2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's very debateable at all. At this moment, The Cribs are definitely bigger, especially with the whole Johnny coming and going thing. I'd be pretty confident that if they both announced a Brixton gig now (I say Brixton because it's arguably the biggest venue a "indie" band can play), The Cribs would sell out very fast, and Razorlight wouldn't. I appreciate that bands drop off between records, but not to the extent Razorlight did, and I don't think anyone even knows who's in Razrolight anymore.

It's a toughie. I'd like to think that for R&L's demographic (and taste) that The Cribs would be more in demand and a bigger draw, and Razorlight are more of a V band, but I can see FR giving them a decent spot (4th or God help us 3rd) just to get one over on V.

Also I can easily see Primal Scream headlining the tent next, jump's right that they don't often repeat tent headliners but as with the Klaxons they're perfectly suited to it and will be just as much of a draw as the last time.

It's a toughie. I'd like to think that for R&L's demographic (and taste) that The Cribs would be more in demand and a bigger draw, and Razorlight are more of a V band, but I can see FR giving them a decent spot (4th or God help us 3rd) just to get one over on V.

Also I can easily see Primal Scream headlining the tent next, jump's right that they don't often repeat tent headliners but as with the Klaxons they're perfectly suited to it and will be just as much of a draw as the last time.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

I don't think it's very debateable at all. At this moment, The Cribs are definitely bigger, especially with the whole Johnny coming and going thing. I'd be pretty confident that if they both announced a Brixton gig now (I say Brixton because it's arguably the biggest venue a "indie" band can play), The Cribs would sell out very fast, and Razorlight wouldn't. I appreciate that bands drop off between records, but not to the extent Razorlight did, and I don't think anyone even knows who's in Razrolight anymore.

They sell it out whenever they play there.

Do you deem The Strokes and The Killers as indie? Or indie pop? I don't think they're aimed at the same audience as The Cribs and Razorlight. I had forgotten about Alexandra Palace though, my mistake. My point is, there's really not that many big venues "indie" bands play, with Brixton/Alexandra Palace being the benchmark. Not many "indie" bands, play arenas/stadiums.

With all due respect mate, the whole Brixton thing isn't the best example as a lot of people sell london shows out for some reason these days. There seems to be some thign about a london show. Its like o2 arena, it sells before any other arena show a band has through the UK geneally.

The Cribs are just a smaller indie band. I think indie is indie, wether pop or not, Green Day aren't indie but they're popular which is really all that means now.

I think the indie pop, brit pop was more used back with Pulp etc.

Well pick any other venue then. I picked Brixton, because it's probably the most important venue in music in the UK. Due to the fact it's the biggest "academy" in the UK, it's the link to arenas.

There's many different types of indie, which is why it's not fair to compare bands such as The Killers and The Cribs, due to their ticket sales. Do you really think they're aimed at the same market? Pop doesn't mean popular. Perhaps "dad rock" or "tesco rock" is a better term to use. Different markets and all that.

Indie pop and brit pop are different things.

Well pick any other venue then. I picked Brixton, because it's probably the most important venue in music in the UK. Due to the fact it's the biggest "academy" in the UK, it's the link to arenas.

There's many different types of indie, which is why it's not fair to compare bands such as The Killers and The Cribs, due to their ticket sales. Do you really think they're aimed at the same market? Pop doesn't mean popular. Perhaps "dad rock" or "tesco rock" is a better term to use. Different markets and all that.

Indie pop and brit pop are different things.

To be honest Rock City is pretty high up there and has awards to back it up but I know what your saying. Having been to Brixton its pretty much the biggest size befire the arena.

If pop doesn't mean Popular, why does V Fest put on a fest with the same type of bands as T4 On The Beach just with longer sets and what have you that chart top the top 40 week in week out?

Not exactly the same market but they are both indie bands.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

Rock City is half the size of Brixton.

Pop is a type of music? Pop Party and cd's like that. Ever wondered why you don't see Metallica and Rammstein mentioned as pop bands?

You think Ed Sheeran's bigger than The Cribs at R&L?

Anyway, the point is, The Cribs have already headlined NME, and they've only got bigger since then. There's no reason for them to play NME. I'd put money on next time The Cribs play R&L, they won't play NME, and will only play main. There's literally no reason for them to play second.

Edited by gazza_20