2012 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

I'd say that Prodigy are much more likely than Green Day, but aside from that you've pretty much nailed how I'm thinking.

If Reading/Leeds don't get a line-up that'll interest its younger attendees, then it's not going to have those younger attendees snapping up tickets as their 'rite of passage' - and if it loses that part of its clientèle then it's a festival that stands a big chance of falling away very quickly in its attraction to audiences.

Which is why I find it hard to believe that those three acts are its headliners. Melvin needs to sell tickets - but not only for next year, but beyond that too. I don't think he's daft enough to ensure the sales of one year but at the expense of following years. I reckon him booking MCR last year showed that he's more forward looking than R/L's older attendees are.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that because the kids would want bands as big as that going forward, and be disappointed when Reading wouldn't be able to deliver?

nope, it's because it needs to be relevant to them year-on-year to keep up the idea that it's where every cool kid needs to be.

If it has three oldie bands then it becomes a place for oldies in their eyes.

Is that because the kids would want bands as big as that going forward, and be disappointed when Reading wouldn't be able to deliver?

If Melvin wants brand loyalty rather than people only buying it for big bands, he needs to

1. Make the facilities and experience more pleasant and

2. Decrease the price and/or capacity.

If he wants to get newer headliners in. Just IMO of course.

Not sure if i would class the three proposed headliners as oldies myself, but then, i'm oldie!

I guess something like paramoure would be the perfect headliner then...

Green Day - at least 20 years old.

Prodigy - at least 20 years old.

Foo Fighters - surprisingly, the youngest band of the lot by a long shot, but still at least 14 years old.

Those are their ages that I've pulled out of my head, and perhaps i'm slightly wrong, but not very much if I am. I saw prodigy at a fest in (I think it was) '92, had friends living in California who went on about Green Day when I was there in (I think) '93 & '95 ... and Kurt died during one of those visits of mine, and I know that Foos played Glasto in '98 or '99 and that was the first I'd heard of them.

They're all VERY old hat, older than a huge proportion of the R/L clientele.

I realise that there's a struggle getting newer headliners because so few bands seem to get elevated to that level nowadays, but unless fests put them up there they're ensuring that they'll never be new bands as headliners and fests will die away thru lack of interest.

That's correct. But within a veryt short time we'd confirmed they were correct.

But we also confirmed (3 months before he was seen) that a band Keese said was headlining wasn't headlining when he insisted he was right. Guess which of us was right?

Our rumours can never be perfect, and nor can anyone else's. That's the nature of rumours.

But history gets to show that efests gets things right massively more than other places do. Even Keese.

what you mean is that efests got things 100% right and Keese did not. That's the truth of things. :rolleyes:

Keese clearly has an inside line, but it's one that's only as good as the bands his source knows.

And that was for two fests ago; efests got last year's headliners right last December, without any sign of Keese.

So that's the last two years that efests has been 100% right about the headliners, while Keese has posted just two of seven bands in that time.

what you mean is that efests got things 100% right and Keese did not. That's the truth of things. :rolleyes:

Keese clearly has an inside line, but it's one that's only as good as the bands his source knows.

And that was for two fests ago; efests got last year's headliners right last December, without any sign of Keese.

So that's the last two years that efests has been 100% right about the headliners, while Keese has posted just two of seven bands in that time.

IMO. I feel that Green Day will play. I think it would quite possibly be a fond farewell to the UK festivals for Green Day. So if they got them as an exclusive I can see it happening. And If you think about it, there are hoards of people calling for Melvin to book them every year, so this could be a good way to satisfy people.

As far as this supposed leak from Gigwise is concerned.My personal belief is that it is a load of horse shit. It would be going against everything the festival has been all about in recent years and I therefore don't see it as a viable lineup. I also think that R&L will get EITHER Foo Fighters or Green Day, not both in my opinion that takes away alot of diversity from the festival. I am therefore with the Admin guy and think that this 'leaked' lineup is untrue.

I stand by my educated guess of

Jay-Z/Kanye

Bloc Party and Biffy Clyro (coheadline)

Green Day

Which to me (and alot of people) would be a truly exciting festival lineup

I am

IMO. I feel that Green Day will play. I think it would quite possibly be a fond farewell to the UK festivals for Green Day. So if they got them as an exclusive I can see it happening. And If you think about it, there are hoards of people calling for Melvin to book them every year, so this could be a good way to satisfy people.

As far as this supposed leak from Gigwise is concerned.My personal belief is that it is a load of horse shit. It would be going against everything the festival has been all about in recent years and I therefore don't see it as a viable lineup. I also think that R&L will get EITHER Foo Fighters or Green Day, not both in my opinion that takes away alot of diversity from the festival. I am therefore with the Admin guy and think that this 'leaked' lineup is untrue.

I stand by my educated guess of

Jay-Z/Kanye

Bloc Party and Biffy Clyro (coheadline)

Green Day

Which to me (and alot of people) would be a truly exciting festival lineup

I am

Edited by jump

Neither can I, and I can't see a band within that leak that has this hotel booking talked about.

Would this work?, note The Prodigy and Bloc Party switched is too as option

Jay - Z n Kanye

Bloc Party

Foo's

Biffy

Green Day

The Prodigy