Glastonbury Bullring

Guest mcdrewson

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, this doesn't sit right with me. Whereas I realise Portuguese 'bullfights' are somewhat different to their Spanish counterparts, just the word 'bullfight' - mock or otherwise seems a little wrong. Just saying...

I'm with Mr Freak on this, though I can't really understand why I feel so. It sounds like Portuguese bull-fighting is no more harmful to bulls than rodeo riding, which doesn't bother me, but it still doesn't feel right.

I think it is more just that it is a structure based upon the design of a bullfighting arena, made of wood by the carpenters employed by the festival (who also make all the cool stuff like the gates to the park if I read correctly) in the style of such a structure and that the mock bullfight with artificial bull is one act relating to the theme rather than it being a celebration of cruel sports right next door to the green fields, which I couldn't see sitting right with a lot of people.

I think thats even worse TBH... Mr E... "don't like" on this occasion.

I do a lot of anti bull fight campaigning, and whilst this isn't glamourising the hell that goes on in a Spanish bull ring, or anything like that, there is a suggestion that what goes on in a bullring is somehow OK, which seems a really odd thing - and even more peculiar to have at Glastonbury.

whats the point of campaigning about something you can do nothing about? do you think you are going to change the minds of people who see it as an art form and an important cultural tradition?

regarding the one at glastonbury how does it advocate bullfighting in the slightest, york/london dungeon are a massive tourist attraction doesn't mean they advocate torture :rolleyes:

Mr Eavis really loves his cows (and I assume bulls too). He moves them to the Mootel during the festival, and it's held on a dairy farm - I trust him enough to presume that he's not creating something too negative, and he's really excited about the idea. There's potential to maybe even work with him on the idea for those that actively campaign against actual bull fighting and use it to create awareness. As long as it doesn't detract from creating something entertaining.

Give it a chance!

Maybe that's the whole point - not to endorse bullfighting but to point out how sh*t it is? Really, does anyone seriously think ME would think 'ooooh bullrings, they're cool structures!' without thinking about bullfighting?????? Maybe, he had all these huge lock doors and thought, right, what can we build with them? Hmmmmm? An amphitheatre? *stroking beard* Wouldn't people start banging on about how cruel and evil the Romans were and how we're glorifying the needless slaughter of people and animals? <_< I can't honestly believe that anyone on here seriously thinks that anyone at Glastonbury is going to do anything that looks like it's endorsing bullfighting - my bet is the whole show will be a twist on it and the bull is gonna kick robotic bull ass! :P

Maybe that's the whole point - not to endorse bullfighting but to point out how sh*t it is? Really, does anyone seriously think ME would think 'ooooh bullrings, they're cool structures!' without thinking about bullfighting?????? Maybe, he had all these huge lock doors and thought, right, what can we build with them? Hmmmmm? An amphitheatre? *stroking beard* Wouldn't people start banging on about how cruel and evil the Romans were and how we're glorifying the needless slaughter of people and animals? <_< I can't honestly believe that anyone on here seriously thinks that anyone at Glastonbury is going to do anything that looks like it's endorsing bullfighting - my bet is the whole show will be a twist on it and the bull is gonna kick robotic bull ass! :P

I have to say that I agree with CEJX that it is a pretty poor choice of theme. Animal cruelty and blood sports in particular are something that are recognised as repulsive by our society.

I was holding out some hope that maybe portuguese bullfighting was something less repulsive, as I had seen mention, I thought by ME that it was not as barbaric. Sadly, I was wrong, a quick wikipedia article later and it seems that it is very much about angering/frightening an innocent animal and then torturing it with violence and fear for the entertainment of people. The fact that they don't kill the bull, but leave it maimed, makes it no less unpleasant.

The structure, as mentioned, is a design that would work well as a venue. The association, however, I'm not too comfortable with.

What an absolutely disgusting idea this is.

""I've got this bullfighter coming over from Portugal with a cape to fight an artificial bull in a mock bull fight."

I had to check the date to see if this was from April the 1st.

Glorifying bull fighting at glastonbury? Seriously?

Then asgain, dairy farming is barbaric so I shouldnt be that surprised.

Next year - the badger baiting arena. Yay.