Worst things about Glasto..?

Guest Groupie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can think of is having to sleep on the floor. It makes my back hurt, but it's my own fault for not taking a camp bed/inflatable mattress. Oh, and walking past the waste trucks at the wrong time, doesn't half put you off your breakfast.

Apart from the people, the music, the weather, the intimidating atmosphere, the flags, the toilets, the overpriced drinks and the lack of quality smack what do you really HATE about Glastonbury?

Is this a take on.......

Reg: They've bled us white, the bastards. They've taken everything we had, not just from us, from our fathers and from our fathers' fathers. Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers. Reg: Yes. Stan: And from our fathers' fathers' fathers' fathers. Reg: All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return? Xerxes: The aqueduct. Reg: Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true. Masked Activist: And the sanitation! Stan: Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like. Reg: All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done... Matthias: And the roads... Reg: (sharply) Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads... Another Masked Activist: Irrigation... Other Masked Voices: Medicine... Education... Health... Reg: Yes... all right, fair enough... Activist Near Front: And the wine... Omnes: Oh yes! True! Francis: Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg. Masked Activist at Back: Public baths! Stan: And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now. Francis: Yes, they certainly know how to keep order... (general nodding)... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.

(more general murmurs of agreement) Reg: All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? Xerxes: Brought peace! Reg: (very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!

Edited by jeffie

The smell. Not necessarily the punters smelling but the actual ground smells by Sunday. The only positive of a rainy one is that it keeps that godawful smell at bay. Cider, lager, spirits and rotted food all trampled in and baking in the sun, uuurgh, especially Sunday morning after 5 days hard drinking.

Can't think of much else that overly bothers me while I am there.

There are loads of things I don't particularly like at Glastonbury. This would appear to be a controversial or confrontational thing to write on this forum, but if you think about it, it's madness to try and pretend otherwise: people don't really spend an entire week walking round in a big field permanently smiling. Over the course of the week, you will encounter some objectionable behaviour and a whole spectrum of other minor and not-so-minor irritations.

Consequently, in the aftermath of the festival, there will be a noticeable sea-change in the tone of some of the posts on here. You'll get a load of people complaining about stuff and a few declaring they'll never go back again. But gradually, between then and 2013, we'll all brain-wash ourselves that the festival was actually 6 days of uninterrupted bliss without any low-points. And so the glastobating cycle continues.

So my answer to the question: the worst thing about Glastonbury is the escapist nonsense of setting it up as some impossible-to-achieve nirvana, and then feeling cheated when it inevitably fails to deliver.

Generally everything is brilliant.

Personally, my least favourite bit is queuing to get my wrist band - tooooooo, impatient!

As others have said, the worst thing is rubbish - people not clearing up after themselves, leaving tents, the usual stuff I bang on about. However, 2010 was a lot better than most.

As soon as they bring in a proper recyclable cup scheme like Latitude etc do, then I'll be a very very happy bunny.

oh - the sound of the fecking balloons being filled. Drives me insane - and then lazy feckers leaving those silver canisters EVERYWHERE.