issues with school

Guest chris northwest

If you are a responsible parent, and ensure the kids catch up on all the work that they miss, I really cannot see the problem. School is 90% mucking around and only 10% actual work, anyway. Actually, if kids were more used to working independantly, instead of being dictated to every step of the way through their education, they would be much better able to handle the pressures of university.

At the end of the day, you're the one who should decide what is best for your kids. It is the state's job to provide education not tell you how to raise your children. Least of all is it their job to insist that your children attend every session, like some kind of a prison. Provided you are not neglecting your children (i.e. not taking them to school at all) it is no one else's business how you choose to raise or educate your own kids.

I doubt the school would react well if you told them those truths though. Ultimately, the school has decided to take an inflexible, blanket approach to granting authorised absence, and to officiously ignore your rights to freedom. Making a fuss about it may get you nowhere, or worse. If your kids learn how to pull a sickie, they will probably find it a useful skill in later life!

Edited by beodeejay

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the person who said school is more important... I can honestly say, with hand on heart, that my daughters have got more than you can possibly imagine from the festival over the years. It's encouraged compassion for others, an openness to almost anything, an awareness of her environment, and a love of so much in life that she might not have encountered otherwise (certainly wouldn't have through her school, anyways)

All good advice on here. I will my experience if it helps...

This will be our forth Glastonbury. The first (in 2008) we requested leave for my youngest who was 13 at the time. It was refused and we were told if we went ahead that it would be recorded as unauthorised absence. It was and on his end of year stats it showed as such. We have done the same ever since with no repercussions. Both of the kids had excellent attendance apart from this which I am sure helped. Some teachers took a dim view but most were very excited for him and asked lots of questions on his return. We made sure he caught up (as with my daughter in subsequent years when she was then in sixth form). We have of course always worked around exams if they have clashed.

For my two Glastonbury is now part of their life and I expect always will be.

As for the comment about education is more important than a music festival - I agree. That is why I take my kids to Glastonbury...

;)

We have similar, but with our school there is a blanket ban on just Glastonbury, not other leave. As the school is close to the festival they have said that if they allow one to go half the school would be out. The only way she could go was if she was performing.

So we have got a mate to wrire a letter saying she is doing 2 DJ sets (She has DJed before) in one of the green room bars. I have typed up a covering letter to send with it, I will now be adding some more points in from the Link to the letter above, so thanks for that folks.

I hope she gets the nod (and they don't check up too much) as I have promised for a few years I'd take her down this year.

I can see both sides of this. On the one hand, the festival is a pretty educational experience for any child.

On the other hand, there are lots of educational things a parent could take their child to do on a school day, and if the school let people take their kids away any old time, it would cause a logistical nightmare for the school. The rest of the class will cover material on those days that the kids will have to catch up on, and although it probably wouldn't be too much trouble for the teacher to help them catch up, imagine if the whole class was popping away on random, different days?

Is there a smaller festival that still has Glastonbury's vibe, during the school holidays?

I never missed school days for festivals if that's what you mean.

Maybe, maybe not, school is school though whoever pays for it. Good point.

In your opinion. Many would completely disagree.

No, as it's arranged by the school and would sure to have an educational feel to it, unlike Glastonbury.

Anyone who thinks somebody cannot miss school for a few days has been smoking far too much sh*t tbh. If that student has a decent enough record and has a good work ethic they will lose out on nothing by taking some days off.

I'm only 23, so not that long ago that I was at school and speaking from experience a perfect attendance is NOT needed.

I'm a Primary school teacher in London.

Just say you're ill. They have to legally say you are not authorised, but they can't force you to do anything. Next time, don't even ask, as it is not something they can legally justify giving you official time off for. They have a list of particular reasons for absences. Glastonbury is not one.

As for being fined. No they will not. Fining is something the Tories are toying with, but nothing is happening.

You are absolutely right in that they will gain a HUGE amout of education from Glastonbury, particularly if you show the many positive examples of charity, behaviour and empathy shown to each other. Obviously the music, Arts, crafts and theatre are a feast for a developing, inquisitive mind.

Edited by danbailey80

Anyone who thinks somebody cannot miss school for a few days has been smoking far too much sh*t tbh. If that student has a decent enough record and has a good work ethic they will lose out on nothing by taking some days off.

I'm only 23, so not that long ago that I was at school and speaking from experience a perfect attendance is NOT needed.

Of course by all means miss school, but personally I wouldn’t let my children do it. Especially not at 15 as it’s in the GCSE years, the most important years. Sure, when the kids flipping burgers whilst everyone else is heading off to Uni you could be safe in the knowledge they were there for the moment U2 played Glastonbury. Suppose it depends where your priorities lie.

lol @ essex_jim

so miss a few school days and you will end up a burger flipper

utter utter bollox I am afraid mate. If your kids have half an iota of intelligence even in a GCSE year they will more than make up for those 2 days should they have want to do so on their return.

I cannot believe you think they would be missing out on valuable education that somehow could not be caught up on. If you really think that then perhaps you didn't spend as much time at school as you should have done ! ;) ( that last sentence is said in jest fella )

Edited by Aragorn

Of course by all means miss school, but personally I wouldn’t let my children do it. Especially not at 15 as it’s in the GCSE years, the most important years. Sure, when the kids flipping burgers whilst everyone else is heading off to Uni you could be safe in the knowledge they were there for the moment U2 played Glastonbury. Suppose it depends where your priorities lie.

chris northwest - It's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission. The school can't stop you, neither should they 'authorise' the absence ... thin end of the wedge and all that. Take your kids regardless of what the school says secure in the knowledge that nothing will happen to either them or you and be reassured you’ve got them in a school that takes attendance seriously.

essex_jim - you been smoking crack or something? Actually, have you ever been to Glastonbury before? I suspect from your posts you haven't ... or if you have you've been planted in a camping chair on the pyramid field all weekend.

Lol, apologies, was on a wind up throughout..in one of those moods today, think I was out for a bit of revenge on here after everyone mocked my April fools joke about the stones playing a few weeks back...of course missing 4 or 5 days off school makes no difference in the long run. I hope your kids enjoy Glasto as much as everyone else and also do well at school, no reason why they can’t do both! :lol:

Lol, apologies, was on a wind up throughout..in one of those moods today, think I was out for a bit of revenge on here after everyone mocked my April fools joke about the stones playing a few weeks back...of course missing 4 or 5 days off school makes no difference in the long run. I hope your kids enjoy Glasto as much as everyone else and also do well at school, no reason why they can’t do both! :lol:

if you cant see that school is more important than glasto at that sort of age, be it for just a few days then perhaps you shouldnt be breeding.

you dont want to take chances with education, and yes glasto is an education of sorts blah blah and other such tedious rhetoric , but there will be festivals a plenty in later life, nobody suffers from missing festivals til age 16.

besides im not totally 'down' with kids at glastonbury , there is loads for them to do but its aslo a massive assault on the senses especially after dark and just for those few days dont you just want to totally let go as an adult? no parent can totally let go with their kids around

add to this i remember being about 21, going wild to some techno in the glade,trying to put myself into a gin and drugs coma, my mind was everywhere it was great, worn out, i stepped to the side , collapsed to the ground to sup a much earned drink and i find myself eye to eye with some sort of hippy child, bad trip!! i doubt he was keen either

if you cant see that school is more important than glasto at that sort of age, be it for just a few days then perhaps you shouldnt be breeding.

you dont want to take chances with education, and yes glasto is an education of sorts blah blah and other such tedious rhetoric , but there will be festivals a plenty in later life, nobody suffers from missing festivals til age 16.

besides im not totally 'down' with kids at glastonbury , there is loads for them to do but its aslo a massive assault on the senses especially after dark and just for those few days dont you just want to totally let go as an adult? no parent can totally let go with their kids around

add to this i remember being about 21, going wild to some techno in the glade,trying to put myself into a gin and drugs coma, my mind was everywhere it was great, worn out, i stepped to the side , collapsed to the ground to sup a much earned drink and i find myself eye to eye with some sort of hippy child, bad trip!! i doubt he was keen either