Tips on using your coolbox.

Guest JodiB

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody answered this and I was wondering the same thing, was thinking of leaving mine outside, though not in full view, because as you say it'll be warm in tents. Is this naive even for Glastonbury?

Like someone else said I have a tent in my hab (for shame) so have option of car boot though would have thought (in the extreme heat) that would get pretty warm anyway?

Just left mine in the very hot tent past year and it was fine (so much so that on the monday some cartons of fruit juice had to be left in the sun for an hour to thaw out enough to drink). But I did take cover mine in a space blanket while not in use(but don't know how much that helped).

OK just rang the Guys at Chillerz to enquire about their products and ended up buying some of their packs and a cool bag.

The number on the website is wrong (they now know this) and the contact number can be found here

Very nice chap called Sefton explained how they work etc, the deal they currently have and we had a chat about Orbital...

They have a deal on until the 20th of June where their coolbag is half price at £14.99 and can do next day delivery.

They explained the packs work really well in good insulated cool boxes and because of the smaller size they obviously reduce the weight and save space..

will report back tomorrow when the stuff arrives.

Ok, just ordered some more Chillerz reusable ice-packs one of Australia's finest inventions I might add! & one of their 'Chillerz Ultimate Cool-Bags' which are HALF PRICE FOLKS until the end of June so perfect for Glastonbury, www.chillerz.com.

A mate of ours had these last year at the Big Chill and whilst we all had crappy freeze blocks, ice & cheapo cool-bags which resulted in ice melting away by end of day 1, making everything wet, soggy, stinky and by day 3 we all had a nasty stinky bacteria soup.

He on the other hand used these Chillerz things and had nice cold drinks & fresh food for the whole 4 days without spending a fortune at the stalls nor having to contend with a hot food sludge inside his cooler! So, heed this all fellow festival goers - its important info, good to know and will save you many pennies & you can reuse these things over and over again!

Here's the lowdown from their website:-

Chillerz Ice Packs

Chillerz packs contain 3 unique ice-replacement sheets that will fit and mould into any size cooler perfectly, keeping food & drinks icy cold and fresh for days! The Chillerz packs are the prefect solution for many hundreds of outdoor and indoor activities, they do not melt, they are easy to use, are lightweight, easy to store, can be cut to size and reused hundreds of times either frozen, chilled or hot! If you've used the old style gel packs and freezer blocks enter the new ice-age with Chillerz keeping all your goods chilled & fresh for days without any mess, waste or spoiled food!

Chillerz Ultimate Cool-Bag

Features include:

» Completely collapsible & easy to store when not in use

» Lightweight & fully washable inside and out

» Large insulated front utility compartment

» Unique insulated lined upper compartment

» Removable & washable inner lining in case of accidental spill

» Reflecta-Lite Technology to reflect the heat from the suns rays

» Additional inner mobile phone holder, key fob & book pouch.

» Ergonomically designed to fit comfortably to the body

» Quality carry handles, fastenings & adjustable shoulder strap

» Manufactured from high quality materials

» Large capacity 32 Litres

We've just bought 2 x Chillerz packs & the Chillerz Cool-Bag for half-price!!! - its a cracking deal and cheaper than a night on the razzle and you'll be using these things at all festivals next year and for years to come, so not a bad deal at all! Hope this helps, you can order online at www.chillerz.com or call them on 01482 443621 - they offer quick next day service and they're really helpful when you speak to them.

Happy days await, come on glasto!!!

OK just rang the Guys at Chillerz to enquire about their products and ended up buying some of their packs and a cool bag.

The number on the website is wrong (they now know this) and the contact number can be found here

Very nice chap called Sefton explained how they work etc, the deal they currently have and we had a chat about Orbital...

They have a deal on until the 20th of June where their coolbag is half price at £14.99 and can do next day delivery.

They explained the packs work really well in good insulated cool boxes and because of the smaller size they obviously reduce the weight and save space..

I had six sheets of those Chillerz last year, that a couple of people are raving about ... I found them rubbish. Did NOT stay cold any longer than normal ice (despite several days in the freezer), were pretty slimy to the touch once they defrosted, a bit of a faff to get hydrated when you first get them, and you've got to carry them back home again after the festival. And the water doesn't come back out of them so they stay relatively heavy and bulky.

Just stick to making blocks of ice, the bigger the better as then it takes longer to melt.

This is our one.

igloo-icebox.jpg

Cost me about £50 four years ago. Has worked like a charm since. Filled with ice we've had it supplying us with perfect drinks for the entirety of the festival.

Sone notes on how this has faired over the 4 years, NB we load it with ice cubes rather than the above method of frozen bottles, the frozen bottle method is a brilliant idea though.

1] We only use this for Glastonbury, so it only gets out of the house once a year. Other times it's a place to rest drinks on outside the back of our house.

2] The wheels are probably the most likely thing to go first. I've noticed that four years of being dragged across Glastonbury fields and roads have worn them down a bit. I've been meaning to build a new set replacing them with those pneumatic ones you get on garden trolleys, I'm afraid I'll break the whole thing though. we'll see.

3] When you load up with ice we now decant all the bags of ice into the box. The reason being is that on some ice bags they have blue printing on them and this was rubbing off inside the box itself which means when you decant the icve out you've also got some print/ink remnants in with it.

4] It can hold about 15-17 2kg bags of ice ONCE you've decanted them out of the bags.

5] The handle is pretty much stuck in the extended position now. The process of dragging the box over rough ground hasn't helped. This is also a possible break-point with the box, if the handle gives out you're pretty much knackered really

6] DON'T load your icebox onto a trolley. The centre of gravity becomes quite high on the trolley if you do this. There is a possibility of it rolling over and spilling out your precious ice.

7] Secure the lid of your ice box with something secure like gaffer tape or similar (to stop any accidental spillages).

8] To minimise opening the box we take a secondary icebox which we use to decant ice to be used over the next few hours into.

9] Consider using a silver/reflective thermal blanket to cover the box during the day.

10] When full this thing weighs upwards of 30+kg, consider this when planning your entrance to the site.

11] Oh, it makes a handy seat as well :-)

This version of it is only £47.99 plus postage, and holds more ice than mine.

http://www.campandfish.co.uk/igloo-island-breeze-60-roller-coolbox-51547-p.asp

I had six sheets of those Chillerz last year, that a couple of people are raving about ... I found them rubbish. Did NOT stay cold any longer than normal ice (despite several days in the freezer), were pretty slimy to the touch once they defrosted, a bit of a faff to get hydrated when you first get them, and you've got to carry them back home again after the festival. And the water doesn't come back out of them so they stay relatively heavy and bulky.

Just stick to making blocks of ice, the bigger the better as then it takes longer to melt.

• 1 month later...

• 10 years later...
18 minutes ago, MikeandSan said:

🤣 Just spent an hour reading that, wondering why the recommendations are no longer in stock anywhere, to get to the end and see that it was from 2011!

I latched on pretty quick tbh but I'm literally going for the 1st poster's solution, anything else I missed 😄