Covers band stage

Guest Keef

After reading some people's thoughts on Brit Floyd and the Bootleg Beatles in th Brit Floyd topic it got me wondering whether there's room (conceptually, not physically) for a covers band stage at Glasto.

I've seen loads of covers bands over the years, some are amazing and as close to the real thing as you're going to get (Bootleg Beatles, Brit Floyd) and some which I wish I hadn't bothered. Some of the better ones that stick in the memory are/were Counterfeit Stones, AB/CD, Status Quid, Bjorn Again and of course those already mentioned.

There are too many to mention out there so there wouldn't be any problem filling a small stage for 3 days, but do you think there should be one at Glasto? Who would you like to see on it, who have you seen that's a cut above the rest?

Personally I think it's a great idea, there are some great covers bands out there that could be showcased and I think most people would enjoy it.

Conceptually, sure, I can't see a problem with it.

Logistically, I think a major reason why it hasn't happened and probably won't is the money.

Everyone knows that bands playing Glastonbury don't get paid much - but the crucial experience of playing their material to a "new" crowd and the potential exposure they can get from the Festival is a tradeoff that many acts are prepared to make and so they're prepared to cut (or remove) their appearance fees.

None of that really applies to Tribute Bands. They're not going to make any cash from CD sales, or build a bigger following for future gigs etc (at least not to the same extend), so the incentive to do the festival for little/no money isn't anywhere near as high.

I'd rather see the money spent on giving up and coming original bands some exposure than cover bands.

I saw the australian pink floyd last year and while it was note perfect, I couldnt lose sight of the fact that they were just copying other people's art. And the way they milked the applause at the end I also found a bit off.

They should have said a big thank you to the original pink floyd for creating the songs, but they did nothing of the sort.

And they had the nerve to change the intro to wish you were here to give it an australian slant.

Cheeky bastards

It could be quite good, but as someone said, the lineup would get samey quite quickly. Maybe as a one-off one year, have an online vote to create a "dream festival lineup" and then do it with tribute bands, Nirvana, Stones, Led Zep, Pink Floyd & Beatles all in one day? Sure, you can see that at glasto :P

Edited by The_Spoon

I think this would especially be an idea for bands or artists that have either passed on or long since permanently disbanded.

It might be a little disrespectful or controversial for bands/artists that are still going but are perhaps passed their best as some of the best cover bands imitating the real thing in their prime are probably basically just better at it than the real thing a few decades on, :rolleyes: but I reckon a "tribute stage" would be potentially really popular, if the quality is there then maybe so much so as be worthy of a small field and stage of its own, Glasto could have a tribute line up and everybody could get to see as close as they're ever going to of Queen, The Beatles, Nirvana, Elvis, Michael Jackson et al live again, or for the first time, I mean these acts aren't coming back and new people are being born all the time. I like this idea a lot. :)

So based on what's been said, how about a Thursday evening affair on the West Holts stage? (would probably need to finish a bit early to satisfy licence/locals etc).

Just one night of line up means fewer bands play, will be easier to get a different line up over the following years.

Tribute bands get free entry to the festival and get their gig out of the way on the Thursday - maybe they wouldn't need paying quite so much then?

It would be a great sing-along greatest hits type show, get everyone in the mood around the Brothers bar.

What's not to like?

I saw The Small Fakers last night do a complete performance of Ogden's Nut Gone Flake. Absolutely cracking. Great sing along and the only chance to hear live music by a band that's sadly no more.

i think it would a great idea,thursday night somehwere near shanrga la ect?.

Ive really wanted to see bootleg beatles and brit floyd,but they clashed with better real headliners.

led zep and the smiths cover bands would go down a treat if they played.Queen tribute band?,be a right party atmosphere.

At first i thought this thread was suggesting bands on the line up can go to some stage called the "covers stage" and play any cover songs they wanted to play to people.If that stage was made,and located somewhere pretty out of the way and happened after normal line up finishes on one of the days.

Ide think that would be pretty cool tbh.

I have mixed feelings about this. I know I'd enjoy them but it just doesn't seem right for Glastonbury. I go to The Matthew Street Festival in Liverpool every year which is predominately tribute bands and apart from there being a large contingent of knob heads in the crowd, it's great fun.

But it just doesn't seem right for Glastonbury. While you are watching a tribute bands, you are missing out on discovering new bands elsewhere. If there had been cover bands on West Holts on the Thursday last year, would I have gone to see 3 Daft Monkeys rather than watching The Counterfeit Stones? Possibly not and it would have been my loss.

However, there are quite a few bands at Glastonbury whose act is basically them doing their own take on other bands. Hobo, Mr B and the like. I suppose they are putting their own slant on the songs but would you class them as covers bands?

All in all, I wouldn't like to see it.

best cover band I have ever seen is The Smyths, some of you may of seen him as they tour the country

not only does he sound exactly like the mozza he also looks like him ! ha ha !

One of the guitarists also fronts Re-Order who are normally supporting, both of which are brilliant

I like this idea. A few covers bands playin on Thursday would be a great way to start the

festival, for me anyway.

It would also stop the overcrowding that you get when only one band is playing in the whole of

the site on Thursday. But you would have to spread them out over three or four of the smaller

stages, like Avalon, Park, W. Holts and Acoustic.

You could still have non covers bands on aswell e.g. 3 Daft Monkeys etc. So that the people who

don't like covers bands have something to entertain them. ;-)>

best cover band I have ever seen is The Smyths, some of you may of seen him as they tour the country

not only does he sound exactly like the mozza he also looks like him ! ha ha !

One of the guitarists also fronts Re-Order who are normally supporting, both of which are brilliant