Covers band stage

Guest Keef

Grrrr....don't get me started on cover bands. Wrong wrong wrong in every way; Aesthetically, culturally, morally. Absolute c**ts trick.

I remember having an enormous rant about this last year. They're artistically bankrupt gravef**king c**ts.

But this year I'm trying to not get so annoyed.

*Breathes in, breathes out*

Just to clarify, I'm talking about 'tribute'bands (tribute my f**king arse, parasitic twats). I've not objection to a good cover version.

Edited by Mardy

They need to bring back the Tor Dogs. This was a Guilty Pleasures band who opened the Jazz Stage in 07 with special guests singing cheesey covers. Saw the likes of the Magic Numbers, Suggs, Guy Garvey, one of the Marleys, a bloke from the Bay City Rollers and Tim Burgess among others singing Dolly Parton, Charles 'n' Eddie etc. Did anyone else see this? One of the best things I've ever seen at Glast (it was all downhill from there that year!).

Grrrr....don't get me started on cover bands. Wrong wrong wrong in every way; Aesthetically, culturally, morally. Absolute c**ts trick.

I remember having an enormous rant about this last year. They're artistically bankrupt gravef**king c**ts.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about 'tribute'bands (tribute my f**king arse, parasitic twats). I've not objection to a good cover version.

Conceptually, sure, I can't see a problem with it.

Logistically, I think a major reason why it hasn't happened and probably won't is the money.

Everyone knows that bands playing Glastonbury don't get paid much - but the crucial experience of playing their material to a "new" crowd and the potential exposure they can get from the Festival is a tradeoff that many acts are prepared to make and so they're prepared to cut (or remove) their appearance fees.

None of that really applies to Tribute Bands. They're not going to make any cash from CD sales, or build a bigger following for future gigs etc (at least not to the same extend), so the incentive to do the festival for little/no money isn't anywhere near as high.

Plus .... The Bad Shepherds are, in effect, a covers band, but not just a one band tribute.

Seen them at Glasto and also Shrewsbury ...some interesting takes on punk/new wave songs in a folky style..

Down in the Tubestation as you never heard the Jam play it...

So often people want to hear the 'classics' and bands want to play their new stuff.

Ok, more covers groups are of bands no longer together, but still, plenty of people DO want an exact recreation of a 'classic' gig.

Considering the diversity available, I think there's definitely a case for a stage dedicated to it. But then how big should it be and should they go to the effort of getting a lot of the 'big' covers bands?

• 11 years later...
On 5/23/2011 at 1:49 PM, russycarps said:

I'd rather see the money spent on giving up and coming original bands some exposure than cover bands.

This.

Aussie Pink Floyd now charging very authentic prices for their shows. £99 for good seats in Bath this coming autumn.

52 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I am going to fully lay bare my lack of musical knowledge here - or am I?

I thought that PRS didn't apply if people were singing covers live?

PRS fees apply even when a band is singing its own songs. a percentage of the festival ticket price has to be paid to prs.

i'm guessing there's extra to pay when bands are singing someone else's songs.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

PRS fees apply even when a band is singing its own songs. a percentage of the festival ticket price has to be paid to prs.

i'm guessing there's extra to pay when bands are singing someone else's songs.

Oh yes, I see that now - PRS will want their own fees paid too. Who governs the PRS? I bet their parties are alright!